Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Need help with and weird guitar

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  D.M.RG7620 
#1 ·
Hey, i am trying to build a baritone guitar.

Its actually just a 34" scale bass guitar with guitar tuners, guitar bridge, guitar nut and a Dimarzio D-Sonic pickup

The only problem im having with this is that i cant find guitar strings that are long enough so i just wanted to ask if any of you know about some strings or some custom string maker.

Thanks

#9 ·
It could be understood that way, but I didn't mean it like that. :) If a string breaks or is too loose for the tuning you want, find a thinner or thicker string. Might take some time, but not impossible.

What I don't get is how you will be able to play chords on the low frets. The range is mad on a bass compared to a guitar. :D

#12 ·
Think of it like this - a normal base is tuned an octave below a regular guitar right? Imagine if you tuned those strings up to standard guitar pitch (A 440). The reason bases are so long is the same reason violins are so short. The longer the string, the lower its pitch. You would have an incredibly hard time tuning standard strings to pitch at that scale (if it can even be done). Another way to think about it - take that normal base and tune it up an octave to standard guitar pitch. Imagine how tight the strings would have to be, and they're quite thick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.