Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Guitars and your Partners :)

2K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  leanngillian 
#1 ·
Me and mate always joke that we have to buy guitars without the missus knowing about because will get kicked of our house. Fortunately my partner love's my guitars and is always fine when I make a big purchase which isn't that often. She was in love with my DNA(Didn't tell her the full price though so shhhhhh ;))

Aynone else have a missus who love's guitars or do you have to aquire you're guitars secretely because you know you will be in for beating when she finds out you've spent alot of money on one.

#2 ·
At the moment my gear acquisitions have been kept secret because of our financial situation. Luckily I have a gear hoarding cousin that comes over with different guitars so my wife doesn't know what's what. ;) As soon as I get back in the working world there's no need for the cloak and dagger.

#3 ·
Luckily I have a gear hoarding cousin that comes over with different guitars so my wife doesn't know what's what. ;)
nice ;o)

My wife seems ok with me buying guitar stuff - within reason - the only problem is that if I buy a guitar or amp or pedal or something then she thinks that's the green light for her to go buy something...which sounds ok in theory but the problem is that she only works 4 days per week at a minimum wage job while I work 5 or 6 days a week and make more money, and pay pretty much all of the bills, so when she goes and buys something then sometimes she has less money to help me pay the bills while I still have to make all the bill payments because they all come out of my bank account...not to air my relationship's dirty laundry but that is what I have to deal with sometimes...all in all she is pretty cool about me buying guitar stuff...I try to keep flipping stuff on cragslist so I can satisfy GAS when it comes up...

#4 ·
My girls always liked the fact I'm a guitar player, in fact some of them saw me the very first time at the stage.
Even if some of them didn't like, I'd give a damn cause it's my life.
Of course when we had money together in the same bank account, I only used some money for gear if we won't use it in anything else.
As a musician, 10% of my payiment goes to a separate bank account, if I have any problems with gear, that money will save me(yeah I wish!).
Keep in mind gear to a musician = tools to work and not pedals around the house bought because of GAS.
My GAS is for music/playing and not buying gear(thank God) ;)

#5 ·
In reality I could buy new gear but I'd feel rotten doing it as there are other larger priorities in life now. And it hasn't been easy because the last few years have been a buyer's market. :)
I've only bought a couple of pedals over the last few years. Nothing major. My wife is totally down with all the gear, though. She doesn't understand kind of since all the RG's look "the same" but I swear to her they all have a distinctly different feel and voice. ;)

#6 ·
well my wife awesome. I sold a couple of guitars and my amp to get some extra cash for a vacation.

So because of that she said i could get whatever amp i wanted with in reason. I just picked up a mesa road king for a good price... and i still have a couple of other guitar projects i have to finish up and she is cool with that too.

I am always honest with her about my guitar stuff though. She is supportive and knows that i enjoy playing a lot. It also helps that she thinks most of my guitars are sexy too.lol

#12 ·
Right now I have put all big purchases on hold. Myself and my fiance are saving for our wedding in 2014, house downpayment, etc. Gotta get all that stuff straightened away first before I start buying large items for myself! But she doesn't really care as long as it doesn't have a negative impact on the bottom line!

However, I do have a list of gear I want to purchase next year!

Ibanez UV70p, Freidman BE-100, and maybe a Gibson or a Fender! We'll see how things go!

#15 ·
My gf is pretty cool about it. She doesn't berate me when I start eyeing a new piece of gear, or when something new shows up on the doorstep. She just finds it amusing--because in her opinion "1-2 guitars... and an amp should be enough."

She has a similar "gear addiction" because she knits and crochets. I've never seen so much yarn in my life, and every time we go shopping she comes home with more yarn. So, any time she teases me about MY gear, I just point to all the unused skeins of yarn lying around.

It works out pretty well.

#17 ·
She has a similar "gear addiction" because she knits and crochets. I've never seen so much yarn in my life, and every time we go shopping she comes home with more yarn. So, any time she teases me about MY gear, I just point to all the unused skeins of yarn lying around.
Sounds good - I bet her "gear addiction" for crocheting and knitting is much less expensive than a guitar gear addiction...and less expensive than my wife's shoe addiction...lol... ;o)

#18 · (Edited)
This is what I have just a few blocks down the street from me, but thankfully some cars cost less so they are out of my league.

http://www.rumbleseatmusiccbs.com/

The salesman asked for me to check out a pair of Korinas, and one being the only left-handed one on the planet. Yeah, right! ;) They sit right next next to Eric Clapton's actual Korina and just above actor Roy Rogers' 1950s ES-335. I am obviously now on my Ibanez kick and it would be hard to turn down a 1970's era lawsuit if something like that pops up. I am actually going to bring my wife down to the new shop soon so she could see what vintage is all about. It's my former hobby and even though I knew my stuff and a few key players in that small circle, there was no way to make a living other than going big with it. It's all about GAS but never on the part of the dealer, lest they get sucked into it hard siphoning off profits.

Ideally, to make a living at GAS I would have to get into something like, let's say vintage telephones or snare drums or baseball cards, which wouldn't be something that would give me GAS, and then go big in that and be known as the "guy". I am 3 minutes away by foot and now I am considering hitting the store for third time in ten days but I have to resist!! :)

#24 ·
I don't like cases either unless of course we are talking about acoustic guitars or somewhat pricey full hollowbodies. A cheap hollowbody is OK out of case if it's an arched top and a cheap flat top acoustic spends about 50/50 out of its case which seems to make them stay more true for a longer period of time.

I have never seen anything outside of let's say an Ovation keep perfectly true outside of its case year after year. It's ironic because the acoustics are often the prettiest guitars to hang on the wall. A D45 would be amazing in a climate controlled room but there's really actually no such thing safe enough for the really nice steel strings which can be temperamental as all heck.

#22 ·
I say 1) you never ask "permission" OR forgiveness for your buying habits IF 2) you do so responsibly.

If I ever marry, my wife will have nothing to say about my buying habits. And she will know that before we GET married. But I have to be responsible as the head of the household, to do less would simply be stupid.

#23 ·
I'm about in the same situation with you guys. As a husband and father of two kids, I must be responsible for them first, then gear is the next after next priority.
Even when I have the fund to make a purchase, almost all the time I must make a white lie regarding its true value.
You definitely won't go straight to your wife that your brand new ESP is 2K worth of money..
If she thinks you can spend 2k on guitar, you also can spend same amount to her.

#25 ·
I can relate to this topic. I am a fan of playing guitar too because I am a music lover. Before I have a music band named "Four Square Band" and I am the lead guitarist. Because of that, I found the one I love and my only wife right now. She really supports me with regards to this because it is the reason why we found each other. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.