Ibanez JEM Forum banner
5K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  MatiasTolkki 
#1 ·
#3 ·
You make it sound as though they are a new thing. They made loads of them back in the late 80's/early 90's I believe. Thats how Kirk Hammett came up with the idea for his guitar - he started off with an MII.

They are just as good as anything on the market I would say. For quality and all-around greatness, you cant go far wrong with a proper ESP.

I would look for an older model on THAT auction site we know, you will get it for cheaper too. And as I said - just as good as antyhing on the market.

#7 ·
zEr0 said:
lennartengel said:
Every time i see him do one of his solo's i just feel so incompetent :cry:
Tune your axe down a whole step and you'll see how you become a lot more competent.... I'd like to see Romeo playing a normally tuned guitar for once and see just how fast he can get... :roll:

:D
yes as i'd like to see yngwie play a guitar thats not scalloped with 10's on it...

#26 ·
yes as i'd like to see yngwie play a guitar thats not scalloped with 10's on it...
Listen to Timo Tolkki's Avalon (he used to be the guitarist and main songwriter for Stratovarius until 2008). Back in the early Strato days, he played a floral JEM, then he switched to ESP, and his ESP was a custom MII. He then went through a custom luthier Siggy Braun for his Symfonia 7... But during live shows he used a prestige Ibby along with the S7.

Thats a career look at Tolkki, but the reason I say listen to Avalon is:

1. It's a very Tolkki take on the Metal opera subgenre
2. He uses a Master built 55 Fender Strat without a Scalloped neck. He shreds that thing like crazy (you can tell how much of an influence Yngwie was on him lol). He also downtunes his guitar half a step (that's just his preference).

#8 ·
Tune your axe down a whole step and you'll see how you become a lot more competent....
Would less string tension make a guitar easier to play? i've actually never tuned down. When my band decided to play some tunes in D i simply bought a 7-string 8) I can imagin that tapping, bends and legato stuff will be a lot easier though. Still romeo is a very good player, even if he cheats a little...

#9 ·
I don't think it will.
To me it feels that is't much easyer to play fast on thicker strings and then you can also use more dynamics in your attack.

I've had one for 12 years and it's the only guitar that's always out at an arm's reach.

Mine's a Deluxe but it's pretty much the same guitar.

ilia

#10 ·
Well, my personal experience with lose strings is that I can play any "shredding" technique faster: legato, tapping, sweeping, even picking.

Although I also think Romeo is a great heavy-metal player, I am positive that the main reason he tunes down is because HE finds he can play faster like that.

Those ESP's look really hot by the way! :twisted:

#12 ·
Elysian said:
zEr0 said:
lennartengel said:
Tune your axe down a whole step and you'll see how you become a lot more competent.... I'd like to see Romeo playing a normally tuned guitar for once and see just how fast he can get... :roll:

sorry but YJM uses 8-46 strings 8)
if you want to hear YJM play with heavier strings and a non scalloped board listen to him on a acoustic sometime :wink:

#13 ·
zEr0 said:
lennartengel said:

oh C'mon now :roll: romeo can play just as fast/great on regular tuning
I find that the looser strings make it harder to play as clean if anything :wink:

#15 ·
Robert tyler said:
Elysian said:
zEr0 said:
lennartengel said:

if you want to hear YJM play with heavier strings and a non scalloped board listen to him on a acoustic sometime :wink:
i know what yngwie plays on, 8's with a scalloped fretboard. i said i'd like to see him play on a non scalloped fretboard with 10's. and yes i've heard great things of his acoustic playing

#18 ·
Elysian said:
Robert tyler said:
Elysian said:
zEr0 said:
lennartengel said:

i know what yngwie plays on, 8's with a scalloped fretboard. i said i'd like to see him play on a non scalloped fretboard with 10's. and yes i've heard great things of his acoustic playing
are 10s in standard tuning some sort of standard that everyone must base themselves and others off of? it's all about what feels right to the person playing...no need to argue about "cheating" as is being reffered to in this thread.

#21 ·
I currently own an M-II standard with maple neck / fretboard and seymour Duncan '59/jazz combo. I've owned quite a few high end electrics and I've never owned a guitar that came anywhere near my ESP in terms of playability and tone. Currently looking at buying an.ESP viper.

I think the standards are the best guitars in the world... At least they blow away any Gibson/Ibanez guitars I've owned (no offense).

#22 ·
I currently own an M-II standard with maple neck / fretboard and seymour Duncan '59/jazz combo. I've owned quite a few high end electrics and I've never owned a guitar that came anywhere near my ESP in terms of playability and tone. Currently looking at buying an.ESP viper.

I think the standards are the best guitars in the world... At least they blow away any Gibson/Ibanez guitars I've owned (no offense).
i have same guitar as you and it is awesome.
due to divorse its for sell in classifieds though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.