Ibanez RG 1570 won't stay in tune - Jemsite
Forum Announcements and Member Help Forum announcements or site news is found here. Members can post calls for help regarding forum/site usage only. Please note this forum is not for disussing forum rules, guidelines and/or moderation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG 1570 won't stay in tune

Hey guys

I bought this used Ibanez RG 1570 Prestige, and I was pretty excited because it has the edge pro trem and decent pickups it's made in Japan and overall its seemed to be a pretty good guitar.

But It won't stay in tune at all. I've spend 100$ on professional adjustment, the bridge is parallel to the body, the springs are in great condition and the strings are not very old and nothing should be wrong. I also gave it some heavy trem exercise. (pulling the trem all the way back and forth a million times). But still it won't stay in tune.

I know that I'm not the only one having this problem with the RG 1570.. Is it really worth the money? I am so disappointed about this guitar. I can't use for concerts, rehearsal room, not even for practice.. It is useless :-(

Any help would be appriciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 04:43 PM

Re: Ibanez RG 1570 won't stay in tune

Check to make sure the studs are still tight and undamaged, and there's no wear around the anchors. Make sure there's not excessive wear on the knife edges. Make sure the neck is secure on the body. Make sure the nut is secure to the neck and that the blocks all make contact with the strings. Make sure the springs are secure and that the spring claw is secure and that the screws holding it to the body aren't stripped. Make sure the trem saddles are tight. Try the chap-stick fix on the knife edges. Maybe try different springs.

What gauge strings are you using w/ how many trem springs?

The RG1570 is a solid instrument. There's something else at play there if it won't stay in tune.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Studs are tight and unharmed, no wear around the anchors. And the blocks also fit tight to the strings (not over tighten), springs claw is secure, and screws are not stripped. The trem saddles are not loose.

I use 0.9 gauge strings with 3 springs.
Maybe I should try the chap-stick fix.. Have you tried it? Does it work? :-)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 PM

Sometimes that's all it needs (chap stick), and yeah, it works - assuming there aren't other issues. Let us know!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 PM

Take it to a good luthier rather than a guitar tech, I have a guitar that I've owned since '94 that has always annoyed me that it wouldn't stay in tune. I took it to 3 techs over the years and they couldn't fix the problem. Took it to Charles Cilia here in Australia and he immediately saw a couple of problems including the nut height (among other problems such as dud frets and bridge setup) and now it plays better than it did new, way better and it stays in tune perfectly!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Tuning is the only problem with the guitar yeah.. I wil try the chapstick fix and see if it solves the problem. Thanks for your help TAorama!

- And maybe I should take it to a luthier, but I just spended 100 bucks on a guitarstore for adjustment, so I hope the chapstick do the trick :-) If not, I must take it to a luthier yeah. But thanks for the advice man!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedShrimps View Post
Tuning is the only problem with the guitar yeah.. I wil try the chapstick fix and see if it solves the problem. Thanks for your help TAorama!

- And maybe I should take it to a luthier, but I just spended 100 bucks on a guitarstore for adjustment, so I hope the chapstick do the trick :-) If not, I must take it to a luthier yeah. But thanks for the advice man!
Just because someone charges you $100 doesn't necessarily mean they're qualified...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 05:32 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
Just because someone charges you $100 doesn't necessarily mean they're qualified...
I was just thinking the same thing!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 07:57 PM

Reviews: 1

I would try to see if the anchors are actually loose. Its not easy to tell because the trem posts will rock slightly in the threads. Try putting a little bit of thread seal tape on the posts. Not the entire thread length, but just a little. Gently insert the post maybe an 1/8" to a few threads in to get a snug fit. Then rock/wiggle the post and inspect very closely the anchor to the wood contact to see if there is movement. I have a 91 UV7BK that had a similiar issue and solved it by reinserting the posts with some wood glue after using this method.

Being a new guitar, its unlikely the anchors arent secure, but maybe during the drilling process in the factory it was oversized or not seated correctly? Just an idea to try, hope it helps.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 03:37 PM

Reviews: 37

id say strings are the problem try some dean markley blue steel 9-42 and stretch them per ibanez rules setup page.
you cant blame the guitar for this. elswhere to check is make sure all the hardware is tight enough and the neck screws are tight enough.

Tags
ibanez rg , issue , prestige , problem , tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode