Ibanez JEM Forum banner
12K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  GERRY 
#1 ·
I am thinking of getting a Buzz Feiten mod to one of my Jems, but wanted some feedback. Has anyone out there had it done or compared guitars with/without the modification? I'd like to hear the opinions of forum members aside from what's available in various magazines. Thanks!

#3 ·
Buzz Feiten Mod

The Feiten mod works on any type of guitar. Trem, no trem, broken trem, blocked trem, etc. I've had experience with the Earvana system, which I'd highly recommend. I'll be getting a Tom Anderson with the Feiten system next week. Well, the guy BETTER ship it on time!

The problem with getting the Feiten system RETROFITTED, is to find a qualified person. I heard that the Washburn folks were doing a less than fine job when the system was first introduced to them...if this is still the case, I'm not sure. I know one of Tom Anderson's builders does retrofits on the side. THAT is where I'd go for the job.

#5 ·
Buzz Feiten Mod

The Feiten system works on any guitar. It involves moving the nut a few thousandths of an inch closer to the bridge and then intonating the strings at very specific intervals with an accurate tuner. It doesn't involve moving the bridge other than adjusting the saddles for the Feiten-specified intonation.

It's been covered in older threads on the previous forum.

I spoke to my luthier about it, and he said that they performed the mod for one of their clients and they didn't really notice a difference.

Generally the only people who are going to REALLY need it are those who have perfect pitch and are driven nuts by notes being a couple of cents out. Most people's hearing is a bit less precise and more tolerant.

#6 ·
Buzz Feiten Mod

i know this is kind of old to bring up again, but i did the buzz feiton mod myself to my 7vwh and my UV777BK and i must say that after playing the guitars with the mod it is rather annoying to play one without it. i wouldnt call it night and day, but to a discriminating ear, the mod is nothing short of astounding -- the whole guitar rings differently: it has almost no overtone cancellation on any note. its really difficult to explain, but the guitar just sounds more "right". ill be happy to explain how to do it or answer any questions if anyone is thinking about trying it -- but i definitely recommend checking it out.

#12 ·
Buzz Feiten Mod

Quote: from littlegreenman on 1:21 am on Feb. 1, 2001
Ok, at the risk of sounding stupid, what exactly is the mod you're talking about? Is it basically changing the scale slightly (a few thousands of an inch) to improve intonation or what?
You've got it, Jeremy. In a nutshell, the Buzz Feiten Tuning System involves moving the nut towards the bridge by a few thousandths (or hundredths) of an inch, then tuning the guitar with very specific pitch offsets for each string (usually +/- 1 or 2 cents variation from "standard" pitch). This requires a very finely calibrated tuner... Korg now makes one that has a built-in Buzz Feiten mode.

#13 ·
Buzz Feiten Mod

as far as the holes are concerned i just filed them (ever so slightly, i mean such that its barely even visible) to an oval. that way, if i ever do need to go back to stock i just loosen the screws on the nut, slide it back and put a 0.03" shim between it and the fingerboard (although i cant figure why id ever do that). also, id like to address the system as a whole:

ok, the idea is to get every fret as in tune as possible right? well, if you just follow the directions of the patent, you will do as follows for an electric guitar -- because there are different specs for each type of guitar (ie. nylon acoustic, steel acoustic, electric, bass, whatever).

move the nut 0.03" forward
tune and intonate as follows
open 12th fret
E 00 00
B +01 00
G -02 +01
D -02 +01
A -02 00
E -02 00
now, this is all a great starting point, but i found that when done to these specs it could still be a little closer because the whole thing is based on the idea that strings go sharp when you press them, well, that means that string action and gauge are the sole determinants of the specs needed for each guitar. so when feiton does it, he has very specific calculations about the ~0.03" -- it might me 0.02" or 0.04", or anywhere in between. but since most of use dont have the luxury of the knowledge of his formula or the measurement and cutting tools, we make do. so basically i take each string, testing every fret (and youll see that the most out of tune are the highest frets, so i usually base it on 17-24), i fine tune the intonation from the specs to what each string needs to be the closest in tune that it can be. it takes time and patience (after about my fourth time i was up to doing the whole thing in about 2 hours), but i works. a tuner doesnt lie. i tested every fret on both my 7v and my UV777, and at the 24th fret im only sharp 3 cents. and that trickles down the fretboard as about 2 cents sharp at 19 and about 1 cent at 17. i mean a guitar is a guitar, so its never gonna be 100% perfect -- but 3 cents is nearly inaudible.

i did all this because i am always fine tuning and adjusting my action, and i cant afford to send my guitars to feiton every time i touch them.
any more questions? ask away

#21 ·
my jem is playing out of tune

Ive set it up the usual way wit a tuner and set the intonation etc...it sounds fine from 5th fret up but around frets 1 to 4 it sounds flat...Whats the problem can any one help me? I got the guitar second hand so could it be set up to buzz Fettin tuning system???
I don't know
Cheers
Gerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.