Looking for TRS replacement - need advice - Page 3 - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Jemsite.com Start Here > Archived Topics and Common Questions - GO HERE FIRST
Archived Topics and Common Questions - GO HERE FIRST Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. NEW MEMBERS PLEASE GO HERE BEFORE POSTING a question after searching.

Old 12-16-2001, 02:57 PM

Looking for TRS replacement

Interesting Ideals. *I think Ed Roman has a breakdown of the exact build of the original floyd at his site. *Im not sure if I can post this so if i cant delete it. * www.**************.com

Well anyways Ive always heard that they are hammer forged solingen stell. *I wouldnt think it would be too labor intensive for the cost. *I personally prefer different designs than that of the japanese but thats just me. *I like german hardening techniques and Im gonna stick to that. *Ill agree with you though, alot of NEW spanish blades are horrible. *Anways back to the topic at hand. *The original floyds are definitely carbon, at least the plate and saddles, cause I'm POSITIVE the things rust. *LOL *You have to keep them oiled or the washers and all will wear out. *The original bar attachment came with plastic washers. *Ive seen many of these that still work. One thing though. *Im a big *guy and I hit the bar really hard. *My washers were the size of a quarter in a month. *i literally smashed them to twice their original size. So I had to go out the door with that. *I kind of dig the edge attachment but they wear out on me too. *Ive heard from people who talks to vais tech and they said he goes through his edge bushings about every 5 or 6 shows. *
Old 12-16-2001, 06:55 PM

Stainless is a range of steels. *My Benchmade is ATS34, and it'll rust, but it's still in the "stainless" category. *Depends on how much chromium is in the alloy.

My washers are flat too, but not THAT flat!
Old 12-17-2001, 12:19 AM

Heh, what can I say.. Anime, the Edge trem, Kendo, I'm more than a bit biased.. :biggrin:

Stainless will rust, it's just easier to mantain without getting rust.. I doubt the Floyds are made of this though, wouldn't hold up real well.. IMO Stainless steel is for small tasks, like cutting meat, rope, and for utensils..

If you were wondering, I'm a cheap bastard, my main cutting practice blade is from Paul Chen.. He's pretty good, but you have to stuff the blade in the oven on 350 for 3 hrs to de-temper the edge a bit, he goes to 60c with it.. But a workable blade for under $500 is still sweet..

They might very well hammer forge the sheets that the OFR's are made of, that would work.. It has to be milled somewhere along the line though, or the cost would have to be higher.. I take anything ER says with a grain of salt, most of the time he's wrong, or maybe just misinformed. He says that the OFR's are case hardened, this to me implies milling..

I like the thumb screw bar, it's cheap to replace, and easy to get.. I mean, for $12 you can get the whole assembly from Fender, better deal than paying list at the local Ibanez dealer(my local dealer is a total scumbag, not someone I want to deal with) for the normal bar.. I've had one of these on my RG750 for going-on two years, still tight.. Just did the mod to both my RG570, and RG7620..

Old 12-18-2001, 05:27 AM

Gotoh will fit TRS II cavity very well.. I have Gotoh in my 555. But it ain't better than TRS II... It doesn't keep it's tune any better... I absolutely will put Edge in it, even when it needs wood work. Edge is best IMO.
Old 12-18-2001, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I have Gotoh in my 555. But it ain't better than TRS II... It doesn't keep it's tune any better
seems that Fender is my only choice now!
Old 12-21-2001, 04:55 PM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
MorbidDream on 6:27 am on Dec. 18, 2001
Gotoh will fit TRS II cavity very well.. I have Gotoh in my 555. But it ain't better than TRS II... It doesn't keep it's tune any better... I absolutely will put Edge in it, even when it needs wood work. Edge is best IMO.
Did you replace the studs? I've played a Gotoh equipped guitar yesterday and it seems to stay in tune, even after violent tremolo using.

Hey, cowcowcow, I went to the music store yesterday and I found out that there is more than one Gotoh tremolo. I saw one that is very similar to the OFR and another one that seems like a Lo-Pro Edge. Prices were very different too. The OFR-like one will fit the cavity for sure, but they couldn't tell me that the other would. Maybe you should investigate this...
Old 12-21-2001, 09:59 PM

grr....I can't find gotoh floyd here in Hong Kong..
well......here in Hong Kong you can't find much guitar parts

I'll have to order the Fender from www.musicianfriend.com
Old 12-22-2001, 05:17 PM

AHHHH da*n!

musiciansfriend doesn't ship internationally!

Can anyone tell me where can I order the Fender Floyd Rose Pro? (or the Gotoh one?)
Old 01-14-2002, 10:14 AM

I just got the Floyd Rose Pro
but the studs don't fit
so I'll continue to use the studs of the TRS
will this affect the performance of the floyd rose pro?

I'll install it tomorrow
Old 01-15-2002, 09:24 AM

Oh
The Floyd Rose Pro CANNOT fit the TRS cavity directly
Although I'll have to take out a little wood in order to fit it, it seems that is quite easy to do (just 2-3mm)

I'll keep on reporting
Old 01-16-2002, 07:29 AM

Okay
I've install the Floyd Rose Pro on my RG alerady

conclusion:

1) It won't fit the TRS cavity directly, you will need to remove some wood (but not a difficult task, I didn't use any power tools)
2) It stay in tune VERY well
3) The studs came with the Floyd Rose Pro doesn't fit the inserts of TRS. Since my TRS' studs loose a bit already, I bought another pair made by Fernandes
4) It is heavier than the TRS
5) I'm very happy with it
Old 01-16-2002, 08:22 AM

Where did you get the post from, and how did you go about ordering them? *I have the same problem with my rg custom.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:43 AM

I just bought it from a local music store

used about US$5 for a pair
Old 01-16-2002, 08:48 AM

Well how about selling me your old trs post. *As I could really use them ;) *My old post broke. *LOL *Fluke of nature I guess
Old 01-16-2002, 09:04 AM

which post if on your RG?

left - Edge post
middle - Original Floyd Rose post
Right - TRS post

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed - Pup replacement for RG1451 Methroix Pickups & wiring 8 06-06-2012 07:24 AM
EVO replacement Andrius Pickups & wiring 13 02-07-2010 02:43 PM
ADVICE ON REPLACEMENT NECK FOR MY JEM777SK, PLEASE! tzoranski JEM and Universe Guitars 26 08-24-2008 05:37 AM
RG20th Pickup Replacement - Need Some Advice JeffWiredBeck24 Pickups & wiring 5 10-07-2007 10:27 PM
Replacement nut for my OLP? matt_cater Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 7 02-21-2004 04:28 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29