Looking for TRS replacement - need advice - Jemsite
<back   Jemsite > Jemsite.com Start Here > Archived Topics and Common Questions - GO HERE FIRST
Archived Topics and Common Questions - GO HERE FIRST Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. NEW MEMBERS PLEASE GO HERE BEFORE POSTING a question after searching.

Old 11-17-2001, 03:55 AM

Looking for TRS replacement - need advice

Since the Edge/Lo Pro Edge won't fit my RG...
So, which Floyd Rose tremolo should I choose?

I was searching the WD homepage just now and found these:

Gotoh licensed Floyd Rose - $295
http://www.wdmusicproducts.com/Merch...ory_Code=TRMLS
WD licensed Floyd Rose - $180
Unknown low profile Floyd Rose -$250

and the last choice is of course the Original Floyd Rose

will all of them fit into the TRS cavity?
Is the WD licensed Floyd Rose selling at musiciansfriend.com the same as the one selling at WD homepage? But it just costs $95.99!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/sh...78714596378102

What kind of bar is on the WD floyd rose?
Original Floyd Rose/Lo Trs II type?
Edge/LoPro edge type?
or Lo-Trs 1 type(screw in)?
Old 11-17-2001, 09:04 AM

Looking for TRS replacement

I'd get a real Floyd. *If you want cheap, try evilBay.

New, the cheapest place is (I hate to say it) Ed Roman. *$130-170, depending on style &amp; color.
Old 11-17-2001, 12:30 PM

http://www.simonlees.co.uk/site/tuto...loyd_rose.html

How many Lo-Pro version/brand of Floyd Rose type tremolo are there?

Old 11-21-2001, 10:56 AM

how about those Fender Floyd Rose?
what is Floyd RoseII and Floyd Rose Pro by Fender?
Old 11-21-2001, 11:52 PM

The newer Floyd Rose II is exactly like a Schaller Floyd, same design..

The Floyd Rose Pro is a low profile Floyd, similar to a lot of the licensed ones on the market.. It's hardened steel, like an OFR, and is 'stiff' feeling like one too.. Stays in tune very well though..

Here's a picture of a Pro, from my Jackson Mutant:

They're pretty nice, with rounded tops on the saddles, but I still prefer an Edge/LoPro..

Fender owns the Floyd Rose name now, so they're all gonna have Fender on the box.. Just don't confuse them with the "Fender Floyd", this model is for a standard strat, and is shaped like a regular strat bidge w/no fine tuners.. Stick with the 'Original', 'II', or 'Pro' models..

I'm not sure if the Pro will fit in a TRS rout, the rout on the guitar above was for a copy of a Schaller floyd.. It's a small bridge so it might fit..

As to the other questions here, I would stay clear of some of the Licensed floyds, like the WD one.. These aren't much better than a TRS, some of them could be the same bridge.. Look at the url for the unknown trem, the 'Product Code' is 'TRSPRO', that should say it all..

The Gotoh bridge, on the other hand, is a very good trem, lots of similarities to an Edge(I remember someone mentioning that Gotoh manufactures the Edge/LoPro, not sure).. It not exactly the same though, it doesn't have the knife inserts, or the extra-thick base plate..

Also, remember that the prices on WD's site are list price, most stores discount off of this.. That's why a $180 bridge on WD's site is $96 from Musiciansfriend..

Depends on what will fit the rout, because if you're gonna rout it, might as well get an Edge..
Old 11-22-2001, 09:44 AM

Reviews: 5

It was I that mentioned that Gotoh mnufactures the Lo-Pro Edge and Edge trems. If my guitar tech is right, that's it. And the Gotoh trem is very good indeed. I'm saving money for one now! And it does fit the TRS II cavity without any routing (if I didn't meassured that wrong...).
Old 11-22-2001, 11:02 AM

I found this GOTOH page!
http://www.hosco.co.jp/intl/Images/G...lo/ge1996t.JPG

take a look at the post &amp; bushing........
Does it looks like those on Edge/Lo-Pro edge?

If it really fit the TRS cavity.......I WILL get this

(Edited by cowcowcow at 11:02 am on Nov. 22, 2001)
Old 11-22-2001, 11:04 AM

btw

Where can I order it!? (except WD)
Old 11-24-2001, 09:04 AM

Hi all!!! I too have an Ibanez RG (an RG270 bought in the UK a few months ago.)

Basically I need a new trem but am unsure of my options. I was interested to read what had been said above, however I don't know if my trem is a TRS - it has no stamp on it anywhere!!!

My trem is pretty much the same dimensions as an original Floyd Rose (diagrams found at www.warmoth.com ) EXCEPT that it is angled off at the rear of the baseplate whereas a REAL Floyd remains kind of squared-off. Now I take this to mean that either the trem cavity wood OR the actual trem would need to be angle grinded in order to fit. Which all seems a little destructive so I am open to suggestion as to what other trems I could use.

cowcowcow - would your RG be of similar spec to mine? It says on the back of the headstock:

RG 270
C 00121789
MADE IN KOREA

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-24-2001, 12:06 PM

Here is the pic of my RG270 Trem (sorry if the size is too big):

The pivot points started to wear out and the thing would go awfully out of tune. I stuck a tremsetter in there for now but I think I may replace the trem completely. Now that I replaced the pickups, I think I will go for the Gotoh Floyd Rose since the pivot points are hardened unlike the OFR.

I don't know if the Gotoh will fit though. I didn't take measurements of the cavity and trem yet. Anyone care to share that info?
Old 11-24-2001, 12:25 PM

One thing you can do to help the 270 bridge is to use Fender bullet strings. The ends don't get caught up in the channel at different angles like the regular ball end jobs. I got a student's RG-270 staying in tune *very* well with this simple swap.

*If the pivots are worn, well that's a different story. I'm thinking that most any standard size floyd unit (smaller than the Edge) will fit in there. *
Old 11-24-2001, 01:19 PM

Reviews: 5

Here are the TRS-II Trem dimensions, for reference (I took them from my 555 -- +/- 0.05mm error):

- Base plate: 94.50mm x 45.00mm
- Trem block: 50.00mm x 8.25mm x 33.40mm

I don't think that Gotoh mentioned here before will fit the TRS II cavity... I've just e-mailed my tech and as soon as I have an answer, I'll tell ya.
Old 11-24-2001, 02:01 PM

I think I'll get the Gotoh or Fender Floyd Rose Pro......if they fit the trs cavity
Old 11-27-2001, 02:08 PM

RG Guy - my trem seems to look like yours although I couldn't be 100% sure it's the same. Is yours a TRS trem?

carlos seo - when you measured the TRS-II (is this different to a TRS-I btw or what?), was 45.0mm for just the flat area of the baseplate, i.e. before it angles up to the fin tuners etc.? I know it might sound like a funny question but I made mine to be a bit less - around 39mm I think.

And this Gotoh trem (see link way above for picture) only seems to have one point to meet the cavity posts which wouldn't seem to me to be as stable but then I really don't know!

Also I have scanned a pic of my trem - could someone tell me how to include images *onto a post. Do they need to be hosted first?
Old 11-27-2001, 04:42 PM

I would guess that you could sharpen the pivot points somewhat (probably followed by an intonation adjustment) as a stopgap measure.

But yeah, replacement by a better unit with harder (or replaceable) points is the best bet.

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed - Pup replacement for RG1451 Methroix Pickups & wiring 8 06-06-2012 06:24 AM
EVO replacement Andrius Pickups & wiring 13 02-07-2010 01:43 PM
ADVICE ON REPLACEMENT NECK FOR MY JEM777SK, PLEASE! tzoranski JEM and Universe Guitars 26 08-24-2008 04:37 AM
RG20th Pickup Replacement - Need Some Advice JeffWiredBeck24 Pickups & wiring 5 10-07-2007 09:27 PM
Replacement nut for my OLP? matt_cater Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 7 02-21-2004 03:28 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29