Looking for TRS replacement - need advice - Page 2 - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. New visitors please search the forum for a question possibly already discussed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 04:51 PM

Looking for TRS replacement

I guess it is the same trem. It is the single locking one on the RG270. The only thing is that there are two kinds I know of. One looks like the Lo-TRSII. That one is the Ibanez TRS505. The other one (unknown model) is the one the picture I posted (I have this one). It is easy to tell the difference. If yours is low profile then you have the 505. If not then you have the one as pictured.

As for the guitar, I think the cavity sizes are different. I do know that one of them will fit the Edge (drop in replacement) but I don't know which one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 07:18 PM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
rg270man on 4:08 pm on Nov. 27, 2001

carlos seo - when you measured the TRS-II (is this different to a TRS-I btw or what?), was 45.0mm for just the flat area of the baseplate, i.e. before it angles up to the fin tuners etc.? I know it might sound like a funny question but I made mine to be a bit less - around 39mm I think.
My mistake... the correct value is 41.2 mm.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

so....should I get the Fender Floyd Rose Pro?
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 11:19 AM

Okay, here are the dimentions for the Floyd Pro.. The drawing is very crude, and out of proportion in some places, but the measurements are accurate to a point.. (one exception, the post spacing is inbetween 73 and 74 mm, my ruler isn't perfect. )

Hope this helps..
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-04-2001, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

it looks like the same as the trs cavity on my rg!
I think I'll get one of these floyd rose pro
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-05-2001, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't think that Gotoh mentioned here before will fit the TRS II cavity... I've just e-mailed my tech and as soon as I have an answer, I'll tell ya.
so..carlos seo, what did your tech say?
post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 10:07 AM

Okay first off to clear up a major misconception the original floyd does not have hardened inserts, the entire thing is hardened steel! *The only one made to my knowledge as well. *The things stay sharp forever and Ive in fact never seen one that did need resharpening. *As far as stability its the most stable, but the big complaint is its stiffer. *Will Im a bigger guy so it never affected me, and in fact if you change the edge springs over to an original floyd it works the same way, pretty much Identical feel. *YOu can even supplement the original bar insert with that of an edge. *Just whatever floats your boat. *
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 06:44 PM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
cowcowcow on 1:59 pm on Dec. 5, 2001

so..carlos seo, what did your tech say?
He didn't reply my e-mail (maybe he has gone to his family house, which is far away from here). And I'm pretty busy to go after him now. I think I'll ask at the local music shop then...

But I think the Gotoh won't fit. Perhaps the FR Pro will do the trick.
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 08:23 PM

The plate is definitely steel, but I dunno if the whole thing is "hardened". *I've heard that it's only heat treated at the pivot points.
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 09:26 PM

Im positive the original old school floyds base plate is completely hardened to the max. *Ever little thing about the original is heavy duty. *The major differences Ive noted in other floyds are low profile floyds, and the bar attachment. *Essentialy though you can add the edge bar attachment to a floyd rose pro and it will be virtually identical. cept now youve got a baseplate thats completely made up of hardened steel. *Ive not seen this but has anyone else at the site modified an original floyd with an edge bar attachment? *Id love to see pics.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 10:07 PM

Actually, I've stuck an original bar setup into my Edge! *I like the "stays where you leave it" bar type. But you can't fit the nut on the bottom; the Edge is too thick.

The fact that the whole plate isn't heat treated isn't a cut by any means; whenever you harden steel you also make it more brittle. *It's always a game of compromise. *On the pivot points hardness above all else makes sense, as that's where the wear occurs. *But softer metal will withstand shock better, so leaving the rest of the plate untreated also makes sense (as well as saving cost). *How else could the Edge be considered one of the best trems out there yet be made of much softer pot metal? *They just go a different route - they use hardened inserts.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 11:15 PM

Thats interesting. *I have a fender floyd bar insert in my original floyd. *Its the one that has the thumbscrew on it so you can change the bar tension while your playing. *This is my favorite of em all as you can make your bar sloppy or so tight it wont move. *The only drawback with this is you have to keep it well oiled or the bar wears so much it wont lock down. *Ive been putting saddle soap in as a filler, and zebco fishing reel oil on top of that to keep wear to a minimum and that seems to keep it working better. *This is similar to a trs insert, but the trs, is really thin, and the washers and stuff are like half the size. *The difference in quality is like that of a fender squire, and a jem 7vwh. *lol *Ive got an original german floyd I salvaged off an old broken USA Bc Rich warlock. * Its the original floyd before the patents ran out. *Until now I wasnt aware that fender had bought the floyd rose name. *Do they still make the floyd in Germany?

(Edited by JackButtler at 1:23 am on Dec. 16, 2001)
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 11:17 PM

Also to add Isnt the origianl floyd hammer forged solingen steel. *As a knife collector I know this is the highest quality method for producing a durable blade that stays sharp longest. * Is anyone else aware of a site where I can find kahler, schaller, and other such floyd type trems, and info about them?
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 03:43 AM

Well, I know some people go around spouting that the OFR is rockwell hardened to 60c.. If you ask me, that's way too damn hard, coming from a sword(kendo, iaido) perspective.. 57-58 is about as hard as i'd go, for general wear and tear purposes.. 60 is too brittle cutting through bamboo, wouldn't want it pressed with tension against a trem post, but I'm no metalurgist.. Also, I highly doubt these are hand hammered steel, the labor involved, even for such a small piece, would be too great.. Probably milled hardened steel, like most knives are now-a-days.. I would assume any steel item to be made this way, unless I knew, or talked to, the smith personally.. It only takes one piece to be put on by hand, for them to call it "hand-made' recently.. The Spanish are the worst for this, their decorator pieces sell for too much, considering they're milled stainless steel with acid-etching, but I'm straying off topic here.. (Too many times have I seen people hurt themselves thinking their Marto/Art Gladius sword can be used to cut things like a real sword, the blade *will* shatter from the stainless steel's chromium content).. For reference, IMO the ultimate blade would be hand hammered and folded carbon steel, with a water tempered edge of 58c, and a spine of *45c.. Japanese blade stlye, all the way.. Too bad I can't afford a Muramasa or Masamune blade.. :biggrin:

I have switched all my Edge bars to the Fender OFR type.. I prefer the shorter, more curved bar, it sits lower, and the adjustment is cool.. I mostly just tighen it down with cloth wrapped pliers and leave it, I don't like it moving unless I make it move.. The way to get it to work on an Edge, is use the 'through the neck' screws from a locking nut.. These are the same thread, and just long enough to fit..

The Floyds are still made in Germany, by Schaller I'd expect.. Fender bought the name when Kramer went under, at least that's what I've heard.. The Floyd Pro I used to have (now gone to a friend) had a "Made in Germany" stamp on the underside of the baseplate, exact same stamp I've seen on Schaller floyds..
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 08:47 AM

Cool that you're in Kendo/Iaido. *As an FMA guy, I don't worry about blade quality - $7 machete and you're good to go. ;-)

The floyd I have is the "original" original - no thumbscrew. *It tightens up and that's that; to loosen it you need to loosen the nut on the other side. *Yet it's the only one I ever had that didn't work loose after a few months. *Even the Schaller arm I have gets a loose spot ; the little pins that tighten down wear a small spot there, and the bar wiggles a bit at that spot. *Annoying.

Tags
arm holder , base plate , edge trem , edge trems , equipped guitar , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , gotoh floyd rose , guitar tech , ibanez dealer , local music shop , local music store , locking nut , music store , pro edge , rich warlock , trem block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode