<back   Jemsite > Jemsite.com Start Here > Archived Topics and Common Questions - GO HERE FIRST

Archived Topics and Common Questions - GO HERE FIRST Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. NEW MEMBERS PLEASE GO HERE BEFORE POSTING a question after searching.

Old 03-22-2001, 02:01 PM

Maple or rosewood

Jeremy,

It's really wierd that you say that, but I could tell the difference between the necks with my eyes closed. *It's probably mostly from a bending/vibrato where I feel the biggest difference. *Lord knows I'm no VAI so maybe I'm white knuckling the neck a bit much!

As for the tone I have to disagree. *I notice significant tone differences between stock JEMS using the same preset effects sounds/processing tools. *Maybe you are right, maybe it's not attributed to fingerboard material as much as I'd like to think. *This topic always intrigues me, because I'm amazed at the tonal differences across the JEM and Ibanez RG line. *Any further insight from other forum members would be appreciated and probably useful for those doing custom projects.
Old 03-22-2001, 08:39 PM

Maple or rosewood

Quote:
Quote: from johncowan on 1:01 pm on Mar. 22, 2001
Jeremy,

It's really wierd that you say that, but I could tell the difference between the necks with my eyes closed. *It's probably mostly from a bending/vibrato where I feel the biggest difference. *Lord knows I'm no VAI so maybe I'm white knuckling the neck a bit much!
Oh yeah, I can definitly tell the difference with feel, but only if I was to sit there and feel them. *When I play, I don't notice it though. *Between my DY (maple) FP (rosewood) and VWH (ebony) if it wasn't for the neck profiles being slightly different from each other and the different sounds, playing, I probably couldn't tell you what guitar it was based on the fretboard. *As far as the white knuckling thing goes, I can feel the fretboard a little when chording, but when doing runs, or bends, I don't use much pressure towards the fretboard. *I've always looked at it as, if I can see a line in my finger from the string, I'm pushing to hard. *I just think it's faster that way.
As far as tonal differences go. *I personally think most of the other factors I already mentioned would affect tone more than the fretboard. *I guess the only way to check would be to remove the fretboard off of a guitar, change nothing else, and replace it with a different type of wood, but I'm not willing to try it :biggrin:
Jeremy
Old 04-11-2001, 01:52 PM

Maple or rosewood

Those opinions were really appriciated, guys. *After much deliberating I sent of my cheque and confirmed the order of my new Jem.

What did I get? *Was it maple, was it rosewood?....

I couldnt help myself...it was ebony! *The 7VWH won my heart over, and now I've got to play the long, lonely waiting game till I take delivery next week *My only consolation in the meantime is all that chocolate over the easter weekend! :silly:
Old 07-26-2001, 01:25 AM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

Maple or rosewood

Old 06-30-2002, 09:30 PM

Re: Maple or rosewood

Last edited by mushroomheadrg7; 04-10-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Re: Maple or rosewood - Which & why?

To me maple seems to make my fingers stick to the strings. I was elixers and still have my fingers stick. I also think maple is to bright of a wood. Rosewood sounds darker and you can oil the fingerboard and fly.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:59 PM

Re: Maple or rosewood - Which & why?

It's a matter of taste I think...I own both of them on my fender's...The rosewood one with scalloped fret and the Maple without scalloped...different sound but you can use some lemon oil on rosewood to play faster and on my maple I always keep it clean after every gig, Cheers

Show/Hide Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rosewood Or Maple??????? jemaholic Gear and Equipment 18 12-20-2006 06:23 PM
Fretboard - Maple or Rosewood? Rayzor JEM and Universe Guitars 33 04-20-2006 02:07 PM
Maple or Rosewood ? megadeth Polls 25 10-16-2005 08:59 PM
Maple fretboard vs Rosewood john1880 Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 21 10-01-2005 09:19 PM
Maple or rosewood - Which & why? Purplehaze JEM and Universe Guitars 17 04-11-2001 01:52 PM

Sitemap:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29