What Guitar Strings do you use? - Page 21 - Jemsite
Archived Topics and Common Questions - GO HERE FIRST Common topics/questions are archived here. You can reply but not start new threads here. NEW MEMBERS PLEASE GO HERE BEFORE POSTING a question after searching.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #301 of 355 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 09:41 PM

Re: What Guitar Strings do you use?

yeah i don't use the pentatonics as much as locrian,mixolydian,Aeolin,harmonic and melodic minor, dorian and phrygian. those are the ones i use the most. I actualy need to brush up on my pentatonics pretty badly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 01:49 PM

Reviews: 26

If that's the case, you need a little tension. At least for Paul Gilbert's precision picking, thinner won't cut it. For all three playing styles, medium tension makes sense. Yngwie is pretty moderate with his bends in comparison to Slash or Kim Thayil.

SIDE NOTE: Even though, it would be nice to have a Yngwie signature on the side, I have yet to see someone who was willing to scallop their entire fretboard.
post #303 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM

For years I've been using D'addario XL .9 - .42. Though for ages I've often wondered about using thicker gauge strings for a fuller low end sound.
post #304 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 PM

Reviews: 4

EXL120s :yesway:
post #305 of 355 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
EXL120s :yesway:
Yep, I guess that's the name of the strings I was thinking about!
post #306 of 355 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 04:25 PM

Reviews: 2

D'addario EXL 120. thats .9-.42
i love them
post #307 of 355 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM

Hi,
was using GHS Boomers 10-46 and those were pretty stiff, tried then 9-42 of Elixir (liked them), SIT (nice, bit stiffier than other brands) Dunlop (liked them), now Daddario 9-42 and I personally think, those lose tone bit earlier. I had a feeling that the nice warm metal tone was away after two hours.

On other note, I start to think, that it is interesting to check resistance of string brands. I would say that Daddarios are softer than Dunlop and those are softer than SIT. From what I heard GHS are very stiff strings. Some say those are like barbed wire. That leads me to the idea, that some 10s could be practically tensioned same way as others 9s. Probably floppiest brand is EB, what I heard.

This applied for double floter 25,5 scale guitars, not even tried 24,7 before. All strings were also nickel wounded, I think. Maybe the biggest difference would be shape of core and material... pure nickel vs nickel wound... Always wanted to try pure nickel only, but have not yet.
post #308 of 355 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 06:00 PM

Ernie Ball Slinkys 9g i get boxes for free lol.
post #309 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 AM

Elixir 10-52's all day err' day.
post #310 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 06:10 AM

D'Adario EX110 for both standard turning and half tone down.
post #311 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 04:43 PM

ernie ball slinkys 10s these get me that sound in my head.
but i just put 9s on today the sissy strings lol. i might try 8s next bb king uses them he said with 10s your working too hard
post #312 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 05:38 PM

Elixir 9-42. Been using them for 7 years and havent looked back.
post #313 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 06:03 PM

Reviews: 10

If you haven't tried the new Cobalt slinky strings by Ernie Ball then you are missing out - they cost a little bit more but they are well worth...I used to think that most of the major string brands were pretty comparable and I didnt notice a huge difference between them but the difference with the Cobalt strings is noticeably better...imho
post #314 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 04:25 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
If you haven't tried the new Cobalt slinky strings by Ernie Ball then you are missing out - they cost a little bit more but they are well worth...I used to think that most of the major string brands were pretty comparable and I didnt notice a huge difference between them but the difference with the Cobalt strings is noticeably better...imho

I've read reviews stating the opposite.Haven't tried by myself yet, but I guess it's a personal taste, as for many guitar-oriented gear...
satch_jr is online  
post #315 of 355 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 PM

I'm happy with the regular Ernie Ball Super Slinky strings

Tags
addario exl , darren wilson , dean markley , dean markley blue , dean markley blue steel , electric guitar , ernie ball , ernie balls , fender strat , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , gauge strings , gibson les paul , higher strings , ibanez guitars , ibanez rgt , les paul , les paul studio , markley blue steel , paul reed , paul reed smith , ray vaughan , reed smith , steel strings , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , string gauges , string tension , wound strings , zachary guitars , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode