Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Adopting a former racing greyhound

2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  skrewflanders 
#1 ·
My wife and I are thinking about it, as a few people in the neighborhood have them and they are very nice dogs. They are extremely consistent in personality and health, as they are bred to work and the ones that don't measure up.... They don't have hereditary diseases and abnormalities like most other dogs as those have been bred out, they're very even tempered (if not overly shy), and they're friendly. And man, seeing one run flat out is wild, they get up to near 45MPH in just 3 steps! I've read a few books about them and we're thinking about hitting the adoption places. So, just wondering if anyone has one, or had one, or has any greyhound related anecdotes or anything basically :D

jim

#2 ·
we are in the process of adopting a dog as well. she is a terrier mix and was in foster care, and we have since been fostering her in the transition of adoption. until she gets spayed, we can't legally adopt her. she has had an abundance of afflictions and until those are cleared, she can't be spayed. oh well.
the thing about rescueing a dog is that they are soooo appreciative. our dog was from an abused home before she was fostered, so she is extremely loving, unfortunately to the extent of seperation anxienty. i am so glad to here that you are adopting a dog that has had a tough life, jim. bravo.

rich

#13 ·
the thing about rescuing a dog is that they are soooo appreciative. our dog was from an abused home before she was fostered, so she is extremely loving, unfortunately to the extent of separation anxiety.
I am not big into the whole pets thing, especially dogs, but...

A few years ago my wife made us take on a female golden retriever who was malnourished and beaten pretty bad. This turned out to be the most wonderful dog for a pet hater to own. Great with the kids, already housebroken, calm natured, in short just a wonderful beautiful dog. Just like rty said, the dog absolutely appreciated being cared for and hated being left alone even at night to sleep. She died last year and my kids still talk about her...

So I would assume, based on the above youtube, that rescuing would be a good idea especially if it's a stripper...:D

#5 ·
I used to have one and he was a great all round dog . The only thing to watch out for is the tendancy snap at the sudden close movements of kids.

And if they get into a fight with another dog they always make a gorey bloody if not fatal mess if you dont take control quickly enough... a little embarrassing to say the least .

The 2 oversized Kiwi fruits bulging out from between the back legs are a good
talking point and an invite for many a laddish joke as well .

#9 ·
I used to have one and he was a great all round dog . The only thing to watch out for is the tendancy snap at the sudden close movements of kids.
Some years back there was a Retired Greyhound Rescue agency camped outside our local supermarket with a couple of their dogs.
As my girlfriend,her 10 year old daughter and I walked up, we of course all tried to pet the dogs. As soon as the 10 year old reached out, the dog nipped at her. No broken skin or anything, just scared the crap out of her.
The ladies there were shocked and told us what docile dogs they are.

#6 ·
I honestly don't know that they've had a tough life per se, as racing greyhounds were used to make money. They're up to date on their shots, they've been fed and their injuries treated and everything, but they've had little human interaction. Most have never seen another dog other than another greyhound. Never seen the inside of a house, or gotten to socialize with people petting them and such. They've just grown up as tools, and their usefulness is over. Basically all they know is run and wait to run, and going back and forth to tracks in their cages in the backs of vans and trucks. I know a lady whose greyhound basically sat in the corner staring at them for about 3 months before it was comfortable enough to walk around the house. They're sort of blank canvases. Here's a quick description of how they end up in rescue.

jim

#7 ·
i know a bit about greyhounds,my mates dad used to race them,there hard work mind.you need loads of time for them 2 good walks a day (just like any dog i supose).id be warey if you have small children around,remember this dog has been trained since it was a pup to chase a bunny.if it sees a small child playing with a teddy bear or simular toy it will tear it to peices mind make no mistake about that.also never under any circumstances let it off the lead.it if gets its eye on a cat or a small dog MAYHEM.im not tying to put you off but just be careful.i have a lakeland terrier its a fiery little sod i put a muzzle on him when i take him out,hope all goes well regards rob.

#8 ·
Very commendable Jim

I've heard they are good dogs but heard about that "snapping" streak that some have
I suppose its like buying a used car with no service history - may be a cracker or may let you down every day - you just never know!

We've just got another Border Terrier pup 2 weeks ago

Our last, Larry, was put to sleep aged 11 on Xmas Eve :cry:

So we started looking around the beginning of Feb

Found Roary (the Racing car) - dead wierd as he was born on Xmas Eve and had his KC registration on the day we got married - 25th Jan, so Roary seemed destined for us.......

Max

#10 ·
Well, we have a lot of time free, as my wife is home with the kids and we've got a 1 acre fenced in yard. They are big dogs though, so the nipping is definitely a thought. The older dogs (5 to 6 years old) had successful careers, and definitely will chase anything that pops into their view, as most sighthounds will. The younger ones (3 and younger) never were interestd in chasing anything, and that'as the main reason they were retired unless they had an injury. Still, good info to keep in mind.

#17 ·
I grew up not too far from the Greyhound track in Daytona (it's next to the Daytona Speedway) and I have known many friends that worked there caring for the dogs and many friends who actually ended up with a few for pets. They were great pets and are still great pets.

Let us know if you take one (or two ;)) home and pics will be a MUST :)

~Bones

#19 ·
I was just asked to take in a chocolate lab, male, 20 months old, as an "emergency". Evidently his tail is knocking over the family's 2 year old and they are going to ship him to the pound this weekend! I guess they bought the prettiest dog the could find pictures of on google without learning anything about the breed, or big dogs at all. This boy won't grow out of his puppyhood until about 24-28 months, and that's a few months away still. My brother knows the dog, and says he is a fun loving gentle animal who just has a bit of that big puppy (I'm hearing in the area of 90 pounds!!) hyperactivity to him.

So, I may well have a big, energetic and friendly chocolate lab puppy this weekend :D As soon as I know, I'll post. Pics of course will be posted if I get him, but it looks good at this point. Should be a bit more lively than the greyhound :lol:

#21 ·
ive just been talking to someone whos adopted a ex racing greyhound.she says its a awsome dog great with kids,the family love it to bits.maybe i was a bit harsh jim what i stated earlier about adopting a ex racing dog,but its just storys i heard,according to the lady i spoke to she had no negative things to say.

#23 ·
No worries ;) We had visitors over from Ireland for Easter, and weren't going to get a dog until after they'd gone home anyway. This dog just popped out of the blue on us, basically, before we had a chance to visit the Greyhound agency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.