<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 PM

Reviews: 21

Re: Aliens, ET's, Ufo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxopwn View Post
I say it's extremely unlikely that extraterrestrial life doesn't exist. The part I'm skeptical of is their visits to Earth.
This! ^^^^
I totally believe life exists elsewhere in the Universe. Statistically, intelligent and sentient life is probably abundant. It's true that at our best speed it takes about 60,000 to 70,000 years to get to Proxima Centauri, which is only about 4.4 light years away. Our galaxy alone is WAAAAAAAAY bigger than that. I think the speed limit of light can be somewhat circumvented via special relativity but we're not close to that - and honestly we're probably not mature enough as a species for the ramifications of what that brings. I think if alien life has made the voyage here they're probably eyeing us from afar. I don't think they want to get involved in our drama if they are visiting us.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
This! ^^^^
I totally believe life exists elsewhere in the Universe. Statistically, intelligent and sentient life is probably abundant. It's true that at our best speed it takes about 60,000 to 70,000 years to get to Proxima Centauri, which is only about 4.4 light years away. Our galaxy alone is WAAAAAAAAY bigger than that. I think the speed limit of light can be somewhat circumvented via special relativity but we're not close to that - and honestly we're probably not mature enough as a species for the ramifications of what that brings. I think if alien life has made the voyage here they're probably eyeing us from afar. I don't think they want to get involved in our drama if they are visiting us.
If they're advanced enough to make it here, then they're smart enough to know they don't want to get involved with our primitive problems lol...

I was once bored and decided to calculate what velocity you'd have to go ot reach proxima centauri in a month (from your frame of reference), it came to 99.9999 to 7 digits or so (I don't remember exactly) of the speed of light. Then I calculated the amount of time that would pass on Earth if you went to Proxima Centauri and back in 2 months (from your frame of reference). It ended up being in the ballpark of 230million years lol... I guess there's another wrench we've got to get past haha...
Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM

Reviews: 11

Regardless of if these sightings are aliens or not, I'm still curious WHAT ARE THEY! Superheroes? Ghosts? Futuristic military technology? I hate not knowing things!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryancap77 View Post
Regardless of if these sightings are aliens or not, I'm still curious WHAT ARE THEY! Superheroes? Ghosts? Futuristic military technology? I hate not knowing things!
The second video you posted is quite amazing. If there is intelligent life involved there, they certainly aren't trying to be covert about it!

I suppose since the government finally admitted the existence of the Aurora, they definitely have to have something faster and more inconspicuous.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Classified Watchdog

Quote:
The second vid was also on a news station. It shut down the airport and delayed 17 flights and was seen by everyone in the city. It was like a worm hole. It was really there, a mass sighting which is why it's so darn interesting to me
The video is a Russian space rocket launch out of Baikonur. Just like this one was a failed Russian missile launch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax2ITilnHlc Not hard to explain.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM

Lol yeah....whatever you say :P I don't believe that.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 PM

Reviews: 1

Aliens don't exist...

Now if you will excuse me, I must be on my way...

Man From Planet X
Old 12-06-2012, 01:59 AM
Classified Watchdog

Quote:
Lol yeah....whatever you say :P I don't believe that.
Believe what you like, it's independently verifiable that the launches took place at the same time as the phenomenon were seen.

But I guess tin-foil's such a good look these days... :P
Old 12-06-2012, 02:16 AM

Lmao touché :P no more tin foil
Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 AM

Its all lightbulb commercials.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 PM
(a)

There really is sooooo much to take into consideration that generally isn't.
Point: the distances involved in space travel are vast beyond imagining. The closest star is approximately 24 trillion miles away. At 186,000 MPS that's well over 4 years, and you are not getting to that speed, period. So best possible would be over 10 years for a fly-by? Why bother?

Point: given the enormous amount of time it would take to get from the very closest planet outside our own solar system, there is almost no possibility anything other than an unmanned (for lack of a better term) ship would even be considered.
(sub)Point - the closest star we imagine to be habitable is in the Gliese system, over 110 light years away.

Point: where there is the civilization to create this interstellar, star to star mode of conveyance, there is almost certainly a government that wouldn't want to fund it

I have no doubt at all that there is, or has been, other living beings in our Universe. But we are on an extremely tiny rock ticked away in the enormous arm of a barred spiral galaxy with some 100 to 400 billion other stars. Why anything would look in our direction is beyond me, if they haven't been searching for literally thousands and thousands of years.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 PM

Maybe some sort of black hole/worm hole could be utilized? We don't know everything, we only know what we know. Maybe there's another way such as that.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:35 PM

who says they aren't inter-dimensional? That would solve the whole time and space thing.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 PM
(a)

Quote:
Maybe some sort of black hole/worm hole could be utilized? We don't know everything, we only know what we know. Maybe there's another way such as that.
That's entirely science fiction though. If you fly into a black hole, then your story is over. Further, the nearest black hole, Cygnus X-1, is 6100 light years away. That ain't exactly a a stroll to the pub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
who says they aren't inter-dimensional? That would solve the whole time and space thing.
Yes it would, so would magic
Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 AM

We don't really have enough knowledge to propose a real plausible theory as to how we could effectively travel the galaxy, but I think it's arrogant to think we know enough about the Universe to say that it can't be done.

Tags
aliens

Show/Hide Posting Rules