Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Any wine drinkers in the house?

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  DEADTUNES666 
#1 ·
I figure with such a diverse group and so many Europeans, there would be a vast knowledge on the subject here.

I'm starting to get into wines, but I have no clue what I'm buying.

I just bought a $20 bollar or bordeaux and a $15 dollar bottle of port merely because I've had them before.

Some one steer me in the right direction. I'm developing a taste for it, but I don't know what is considered good and what isn't.

#3 ·
Wines are a very personal thing. Get your self a wine journal, and make notes of what your drinking. Also a good book on wines, not a list of top wines but one that explains the how and why of wines. It will give you a better understanding of why wines taste different from different areas, climates etc. And go with what you like, then try from different regions, prices etc. Most wine stores will have classes or flights, tastings where you can go in and taste several kinds and discuss them and make notes. I personally like Australian, New Zealand, and California wines, over old world wines. If you can get it try the 2006 Kim Crawford Savion blanc.

#5 ·
I may be biased however Australian wines are a great value for money drop. I tend to buy a case, put it down, then have a bottle or two around the year that it matures. In Australia the premium drop tends to be the Penfolds Grange series (AUD$500.00+ to $1000.00 + a bottle depending on the year). Try Saltram, Tyrells, Lindemans for a reasonably priced bottle that should be available in the U.S. My personal favourite Tempus Two (I am not sure if you can get that in the U.S). I agree with chef21 create a journal. And invest the time in cataloging your cellar properly - it makes things a lot easier in the long run. Your taste should mature over time so you may start out with a desire for sweet wines but you will most likely grow to prefer a Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon. I personally prefer a Cab Merlot or Pinot Noir. Above all....enjoy.

-Wolfram

#6 ·
Greg Norman makes a wonderful product.
Another great wine is the Baron Arquis. It was a joint venture between Baron Von Rothschild and the Arquis family.
I purchased a case about 3 months ago at around $25.00 per bottle and the wine is now selling at $85.00 per bottle.

I am not a big wine drinker but I do like to collect wines that I feel will go up in value.

One of the wines that many people love, but you can only get at Trader Vic's is called Two Buck Chuck, the real name is Charles Shaw.
It is a fantastic wine and the price is so cheap it's retarded.
We can't get it here in Texas becuase we dont have any Trader Vic's.
But this wine sells for $1.99 and is not just hot, it's on fire. If you can find it, buy as much as you can.

Here's a story that was on CBS. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/06/02/eveningnews/main556620.shtml

#7 ·
The lady and I want to get into wine, but haven't had the time yet. I like dry red wines, she likes sweet white, but thats all we know. I could buy 20 bottles and they could all stink.

Few things I wonder about... When we do buy wine, we generaly don't drink a bottle in one night. How long should a bottle last before the taste starts to be off? How/where should a bottle be stored? What kind of tools should be used to help keep a bottle fresh longer? I have see varoius suction tools and cork replacers but it is hard to tell what is useful and what is for yuppies with cash to blow on junk.

#9 ·
We're pretty big into wine here.

I would suggest trying some various cabs, merlot, zins, malbec, pinots, shiraz, etc. and see what you lean towards, the lighter merlot/pinots, or the heavier cabs/malbecs.

For a good starter, I would suggest Rosenblum Paso Robles Zin. Pretty decent wine for about $20.

Also, to get a good idea as to how wines can be pretty complex, try a Duckhorn Merlot. It's pretty pricey, but worth it.

Also, Joseph Phelps Insignia is great, but now we're starting to get pretty pricey.

There are a lot of wines to find in the 10, 20, 30 dollar range that are excellent.

Dynamite Cab is also a pretty good in the $15-$20 dollar range.

Concha y Toro Casillero del Diablo Carmenere is an EXCELLENT wine for almost $10.

Carmenere is a great grape, and Pinotage is one I've been getting into lately.

Ridge vineyards make some excellent blends. Sonoma Station is a great zin. You can find a lot of there stuff for $20 and up.

The most important thing is to find a few grapes or blends you like, and then go from there. Check out a local wine store, and ask for some recommendations. They will usually be very helpful.

Didn't mean for this to be so long, I'm pretty big into reds.

#11 ·
If you're not a connoisseur, wines are pretty subjective. I am not a pro by any stretch, but I know what I like. My father drank very dry wines so I grew up with an appreciation for the dry...However sometimes I like a sweet fruity wine (no way to make that sound manly I guess). :rolleyes:

Partnering the wine with the right meal is also important. There are foods that will enhance the taste of the wine and vice versa...Your local liqour store should have ratings and info on the wine you are going to buy. Unless it's Boones Farm or Wild Irish Rose...:D

Reds/Burgundys with red meats and pastas, whites with fish, fowl and cheeses, blushes and rose's for pre dinner or dessert. Nowadays though people mix wines every which way they want, so you need to find your niche...
Good luck :)

#12 ·
Even if you are a connoisseur wines are subjective! You may score them differently but you come back to your old favourites.

I love new world reds - South African (of course!), Australian, Californian - the good wines from any of these areas knock spots off European reds. I can't say the same for the whites, I far prefer dry French whites when I can get hold of them (and am in funds!).

Great SA wines if you ever see them:

Kevin Arnold shiraz - any year. This is the single best shiraz I've ever tasted. This is from the Waterford Estate, the one that started the wine/chocolate thing. Try it with dark chocolate flavoured with cloves.....
Blue Creek 2002 onwards - cab and merlot. Excellent.
La Motte 2003 onwards: cab. Ditto the above.

#14 ·
Well for a beginner I would recommend you taste the many different wines offered around the world to find your own taste.

For starters (and to keep costs down) I would recommend a starter set of:

- A good French Bordeux (e.g. from Fonsac)
- A Rijoha -> I prefer the "LAN Grand Reserve"
- A good Syrah -> I love the Australian "Salomon Reserve Siraz"
- A Cabernet Sauvignon -> Go USA! "Fetzer Barrel Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon"
- Of course an Italian and there is nothing better than an "Avignonesi Vino Nubile de Montepulciano"
- Do not miss out on an Austrian -> "St. Laurent vom Stein" is the best
- Malbec -> Zuccardi Malbec from Argentinia

This should give you an overview and you can then go into more defined stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.