<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 03-27-2005, 02:09 PM

Are Nishiki bikes any good?

There is an ad in my local paper for a 21-speed Nishiki sport? bike. It's for sale for $50. I don't really do any mountain biking, so I don't need a mountain bike...I mainly just ride on roads and streets. I'll probably call in about it on Monday, but does anyone have any information on whether Nishiki bikes are good, bad, what to look for, etc.?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:12 AM

Re: Are Nishiki bikes any good?

Speaking about bikes (which I know nothing about) - what bike would be a good choice to ride to/from work (about 5-6 miles daily)? Price is not a major concern, but I'd like to stay within reasonable limits. Also, I'd like it to be heavy duty as I weigh 300 lbs, and I'm tall.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:40 AM

Waaaaay back, maybe christ, 15 years ago now, I had a Nishiki road bike. I raced 3 seasons on it as a Cat 3.

It was a fine frame (which is all Nishiki has anything to do with anyway) but after 3 years of racing, it was toast.

Get some specs from the seller. Type of bike, frame size (inches is a MTB, centimeters is a Road bike), component group (likely Shimano, maybe a mix).

Although, $50, it's hard to go wrong unless it's just trashed.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:43 AM

Oi! 300lbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry
Speaking about bikes (which I know nothing about) - what bike would be a good choice to ride to/from work (about 5-6 miles daily)? Price is not a major concern, but I'd like to stay within reasonable limits. Also, I'd like it to be heavy duty as I weigh 300 lbs, and I'm tall.
Yikes! Yer a big one. Guys like you used to scare me when I still built custom bikes.

If I were you, I'd buy a STEEL (caps, so you don't think I said Aluminum haha) framed HARDTAIL (no suspension, they aren't made for guys as heavy as you) mountain bike and put either 1.7" or 2.0" slick/street/hybrid tires on it.

So you have the durability and gear selection of a MTB but the lessened rolling resistance of a road bike (or slightly more if you go with hybrid tires, like Continental Grand Canyons).

It'll also hold up to potholes, curbs, loose dogs, pedestrians not paying attention, etc.

If you are exceptionally tall, you may have to go custom, which isn't cheap. But bikes typically aren't made for anyone with an inseam greater than 38", and even those are VERY hard to come by.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:52 AM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

$50 sounds like a steal but if it needs new cogs, brakes, derailer, cables, etc. you're better off buying a $199 special somewhere with warranty... especially if you can't do the fixes. either way gotta ride it, see if it's your size, etc.

best bikes for a large, male commuter imho is a "comfort mountain bike" ala the Giant Sonoma or Trek Navigator line. These go from $250-400-ish which is a rediculous price for what you get. Great bikes. These come with a thicker tire with subtle tread (designed for 80% road 20% off-road use) so they can handle city riding along the lines of what J said above. The biggest benefit is the neck and handlebars are very adjustable to let you sit up more in a comfort zone, unlike traditional mtbs... glen
Old 03-28-2005, 11:09 AM

The ad said it was "like new" so I suppose it's in good condition. Good enough condition to warrant a $50 purchase! I just hope it's still for sale...the ad was in the Sunday paper, i.e. Easter, so I didn't want to call him...hopefully it's still available. I'll fill in the details as they come.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:44 AM

Nishiki used to be a good bike name. They haven't gone "Department store" yet,,like Mongoose, Schwinn,Fuji and a few others. If you are looking for a bike to just cruise around on or commute on ( providing you don't have far to ride ) then go for it. Like Glen Said,, if it need stuff like brakes, cogs,chain etc... you would be better off just buying a new cheapo bike for 100 to 200 bucks.
I used to sell bikes in Southern California at Performance bike in Escondido. I've been around bikes for over 25 years. If you need some help making a purchase please feel free to tell me what your needs are and what your willing to spend. There is always that fine line there. I feel that if you are going to committ to buying a bike especially for getting in shape reasons. I would have to compare that to buying a guitar. You want to get something descent so that you enjoy it, and will stick with it,, but you don't want to go broke in the process.

Let me know.

~A
Old 03-28-2005, 12:25 PM

Right now I'm riding an old Schwin bike about 9 - 10 miles daily...it's one of those old ones with the ram-horn handles and really thin tires. It can get quite uncomfortable to ride, and the brakes and tires need replacing. I saw this ad for the Nishiki and thought I might as well go for it (as new, only $50.) I don't really have a whole lot of money to spend towards biking right now, but this should at least get me started.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:35 PM

Micro, these are the best places to get what you need.
Honestly its cheaper to buy a used bike from mtb review..but then you could be buying someone's cracked frame with no recourse at all. All depends on $
http://www.mtbr.com/
this will give you reviews...its like cnet of the mountain bike world.
Keep in mind that Trek and Cannondale are no longer what they used to be. Supergo has some nice cannondales for a cheap price.
Your best bet is an ironhorse or a weyless at supergo..they have awesome closeouts

WWW.SUPERGO.COM

has a nice weyless

if you want new you could go with an Iron Horse

WWW.JENSONUSA.COM

You may be able to build a bike starting with the frame and add what you deem necessary.

Bamm
Old 03-28-2005, 01:16 PM

I've seen some Nishiki bikes in some sporting goods stores, they look decent, especially for $50 if everything is in working order. They are fine commuter bikes, I wouldn't call them "mountain bikes" unless your idea of mountain biking is a concrete trail or gravel road at worst. I do live in Boulder, CO, so my reference of "moutain biking" may be a little more intense than others

Roger
Old 03-28-2005, 02:44 PM

Just got back from looking at the bike. It was definitely "not new." It looked to be at least 4 years old. The tires and brakes looked pretty good, but the frame was kind of beat up and small bits of rust in a few places. The cogs and chain both looked good. It was also a women's frame. I am a teenager, and I am concerned with looking cool, and that is not going to happen with Jeff on a women's frame.

So I have about $200 to spend total on a bike. What recommendations could you guys make? I mainly ride roads, but I would like something that could handle some trails (trails around here aren't very rugged, but they definitely aren't cement roads either.) I am 6'1" and the length of my pants are 34" if that helps you at all. There are a couple used and new bike stores around here, so what can you guys recommend?

Edit: The Nishiki kind of sucked, but it was the first "real" bike I've gotten the chance to ride...not something from Wal-Mart or the old heavy Schwinn I'm riding now. I did notice it was really light and comfortable to ride. I'm not really looking for anything special, but just something that's sort of the "next step up" from department store bikes...something a little nicer, but probably used.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:52 PM

For 189.00 You can get one of these from the above links I mentioned.
This should help you enhance your image.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...r+Cruiser.aspx
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/imgWr...E03.jpg&type=3

Bamm
Old 03-28-2005, 03:01 PM
(a)
Administrator

lol. he'd be better off w/ the girls frame

see the models i gave you. near $200 is realistic on the least expensive model. look good, ride good, comforable, good warranty & widespread local dealers... glen
Old 03-28-2005, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
lol. he'd be better off w/ the girls frame
WHADDA'YA TALKING ABOUT?!? !
My Grandma had one just like it with a couple of baskets on the back in Blue, probably the coolest bike ever... next to Peewee's Big Adventure bike.

Bamm
Old 03-28-2005, 04:19 PM

I'll be heading down to the bike shop sometime this week and check out those models you gave me, Glen. 80% road, 20% off-road sounds about right. thanks for the suggestions!

Show/Hide Posting Rules