Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Australian V8 supercar series

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Buckshot 
#1 ·
To all my Aussie friends, and race fans, I just caught the Gold Coast race in Queensland via SPEED (thank the maker it was broadcast here in the states!) Hell of a race, as usual...

So did any of you guys get to catch it live? It was right there in the city! Anyone going to the Tasmania Challenge in 2 weeks?

I'm lucky enough to have Barber Speedway right here near my city so I get to catch alot of races! We are getting the Grand Prix next year!

#4 ·
I drive a Subaru Impreza, so I'm with you on racing Targa, but it's not inexperience, it's funding against big rally teams :-/ Even in smaller races it's hard to keep a daily driver as a weekend racer when blowing transmissions to bits and smashing suspension components!

I was in Surfer's Paradise for a wedding a week before the race so I got to drive on the circuit but I didn't hang around for the race - I thought the idea of bringing in the International Drivers was a stupid idea. It just doesn't make sense to bring drivers in that have no experience in these cars and have it affect someones overall championship.
Wow Buckshot, you got to drive the circuit before the race? Thats badass! Yeah, I heard the commentary on how they were letting previous F1, Indy, and all these other accomplished drivers do the race (which of course is cool because that's very much in the spirit of the very oldest Grand Prix racing), but still; won't that throw off the challenge of competing in the series?

#3 ·
I was in Surfer's Paradise for a wedding a week before the race so I got to drive on the circuit but I didn't hang around for the race - I thought the idea of bringing in the International Drivers was a stupid idea. It just doesn't make sense to bring drivers in that have no experience in these cars and have it affect someones overall championship.

#5 ·
Don't get me wrong all the international drivers are great drivers but from very different disciplines. These races from Surfer's contributed to the regular drivers championships. Most of the teams were allocated an international driver and what if he turned out to be no good in a V8 Supercar ? Was a very risky experiment which fortunately turned out ok.

The circuit was open to traffic until the very last day before the races, whilst travelling around the place and returning back to our motel from the various theme parks we got to drive on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.