Ibanez JEM Forum banner

BCS college football

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mcgillgeometry 
#1 · (Edited)
Who do you root for?

Alabama Crimson Tide ( http://www.ua.edu/athletics.html ) beat #1 ranked Miss State yesterday which means with both now at 9-1, that undeniably puts Alabama in top four and in contention for national title. Rankings come out soon so they could be anywhere in that top four.

Alabama may now be #1 or Florida State who is unbeaten but in easier college conference. Either way, the Crimson Tide's season is still alive for final bowl game. Rankings are based on conference, record, and difficulty of schedule among other factors. Sometimes the team with the best record wins it all but sometimes the #2 ranked team carries off the trophy in final game. LSU's former coach Nick Saban is now Alabama's skipper and both schools have won the big bowl with him before and after his stint with Miami Dolphins.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=10172026

I am not from Alabama nor did I go to school there but had a friend interest me in college ball which I had not followed that much before. I have never been to Alabama and the closest I have been to the south is Virginia. My friend said the reason people are so into that school in that state is that unlike a Texas or New York, or California, the entire state of Alabama has no NBA team, no MLB team, and no NFL team. Sports are still popular like in bigger states so with little to go on, people often gravitate to Alabama or arch Alabama resident rival, Auburn University. My undergrad schools in California are not top NCAA division and grad school has no team. Whole town where I am from has just one recently accredited school with no sports to speak of and several satellite schools (Golden Gate University, Middlebury College, and Chapman University) so most locals just pick random college team like me but Michigan Wolverines or Georgia Bulldogs clothing seems popular, just because. At least Alabama has the famous Forrest Gump as a former player! :grin:

See less See more
#2 ·
Tide has to go against an upstart OSU who may be on the rise enough to take Alabama out of the semis.

If Alabama gets through, crossing fingers, then it's on to the BCS Finals to either undefeated Florida State University or red hot University of Oregon. No season is a given even though people saw this year as Alabama's to lose. Just like pro football, where people thought the 49ers or Seahawks would take the NFC West, it's all topsy turvy with the Arizona Cardinals in the top of the division. Where the pros may get longevity with key players, college is four years and out so I am hoping Alabama gets their 4th title because this year could be their last great hope.

As for Heisman, other schools have better candidates in individual play.

#5 ·
TCU got a raw deal there... but you could see it coming. They had to jump 6th ranked Ohio State over TCU to get them into the playoffs. They want perennial powerhouse teams with huge loyal followings ($$) to be in the playoffs... not TCU or Baylor. In light of that I hope Oregon humiliates Florida State and then Alabama.

#6 ·
I have no doubt that Oregon will probably beat Florida State, maybe even demolish them, but Oregon and Alabama should be evenly matched. Based on records, points/yards, and strength of schedule, I don't see one team completely dominating the other. Anybody who thinks Oregon has it easy, or Alamaba has it easy, will probably be surprised.

It's most likely that all the games will be within one scoring drive of each other.

At this level, be ready to see defenses play well and keep all the games within more pro football type of ranges and not college mid-season blowouts. I don't see any teams getting over 40 points or blowing out their opponents by four touchdowns. If it's Oregon and Alabama, I see the the winner with 21 points to the loser getting 14 to 20 points. A 21-20 game would be exciting, especially if it's decided on the very last drive either by scoring or by stopping a team from scoring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.