Ibanez JEM Forum banner

BODYBUILDING THREAD

12K views 72 replies 20 participants last post by  waylay00 
#1 ·
I recently got into bodybuilding, and wow has it made me feel great!! Just wondering if any of you other jemsiters are into BB!

If so, then let's get some talk going!
Supplements, training, progress pics, dieting, etc! I'll post some pics of my personal progress the last 6 months later this evening!

#39 ·
Here it is:
Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Barbell Shrug 3x8
Skullcrusher 3x8
Chins 3x5-8
or Striaght Bar/Incline Curl 3x8
Hyperextention 2x10
Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x10-20

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Standing Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5 -10%
CGBP 3x8
Straight Bar or Incline Curl 3x8
Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x10-20

How's it look to you?

#73 ·
Looks like ICF 5x5 to me. Great program. Ran it for a few months and made some awesome gains. Had to scale back though once school's intensity picked up.

Right now I'm running more of a hypertrophy-based Upper/Lower program (most reps in the 8-12 range) four times a week. Planning on running this for 8 weeks and then switching back to a 5x5/3x5-based program.

#43 ·
I'd say your on the right track with your reps no doubt.

What days are you doing A/B?
ABA M/W/F
BAB M/W/F

Alternating.

I'm facing a dilemma at the moment though. I'll be leaving the school in the beginning of May and I won't have gym access or access to a stable diet until I come back in early August. I'm starting to this I should post-pone this plan until I come back because I don't want to lose what I worked for/paid a lot in supps for over the summer. Decisions, decisions!

#49 ·
Just to update.

I'm on the anabolic diet, currently cutting/recomp. Getting good results. This diet normally sapped my energy last time, but this time around is great. I have a very steady flow of energy, and lifting is a breeze. I eat no carbs during the week, and load on weekends.

I started the cut at about 207lbs about 3 weeks ago. I'm now at 202lbs and my strength is going up!
Notable lifts so far during the cut

Reverse Barbell Bench - 135x10 185x8 225x6 275x4

Barbell Squats - 6 sets, last set being about 415 for 2 going deep.

Leg press - 1050lbs for reps. I'd try more but that's all the machine at my gym can hold sadly.

But, yup, there it is. Still going hard, feels great.

#51 ·
I'd love to know what sort of diet plan you're following to be able to keep the strength up and the weight down!!!

I know you said you were on "carb weekends" but, what sort of quantities are you eating, and what are your best protein sources?

#53 ·
I'm on a diet called the "anabolic diet" by dr Mauro dipasquale (sp?)
It's basically 5 days high protein high fat, 2 days high carb low protein low fat

Fuels higher test and gh, controls and lowers cortisol (catabolic hormone) and keeps your insulin levels steady, with boosts every week to help increase lean mass. Also keeps your serotonin levels balanced so you don't have mood swings, etc.

My best protein sources on this diet specifically are ground beef, eggs, chili, hot dogs, salami, cheese etc. also protein shakes of course. I'm cutting on 2000cals now at 65% fat 30% protein and >30g carbs per day on weekdays and about 60% carbs 30% fat and 10-20% protein

#52 ·
Hey I've decided to get fit again.

I was in good shape about 3-4 years ago but due to a knee injury and last year slight illness I had lost a lot of weight allover my body now I look like skeletors son which has gave me a complex. I'm basically wanting to bulk up allover. I never looked stupidly ripped when I was in shape years ago. I just wasn't into that look but I did have muscle tone and strength and didn't look skinny as I do today.

Being rusty and preferring to work out at home for now, I'm needing advice on the best ways to gain weight and build muscle at the same time, and also just good health tips would be cool I have been mistreating myself a lot lol.

#54 ·
Hey I've decided to get fit again.

I was in good shape about 3-4 years ago but due to a knee injury and last year slight illness I had lost a lot of weight allover my body now I look like skeletors son which has gave me a complex. I'm basically wanting to bulk up allover. I never looked stupidly ripped when I was in shape years ago. I just wasn't into that look but I did have muscle tone and strength and didn't look skinny as I do today.

Being rusty and preferring to work out at home for now, I'm needing advice on the best ways to gain weight and build muscle at the same time, and also just good health tips would be cool I have been mistreating myself a lot lol.
Pm me with questions bud happy to help

#56 ·
Many years ago I was fat 5'7" and around 180 lbs, kind of like now, and a body builder friend came up to me and simply said so. I dropped maybe 30+ pounds and gained some muscle along the way in the right places. It was mostly a combination of just a few reps with heavy stuff but mostly toning with lighter stuff. I didn't go for the big muscle thing but one of the best bodybuilders was practically a vegetarian and didn't take any supplements and did so with very hard work.

I did some cardio to stay in shape and did all this instead of eating lunch. It was a great feeling to see definition and feel strong and full of energy. I need to get back. I didn't have to give up much to improve myself a lot. For some reason I lost interest in music and would rather exercise.

For me, after about age 28 I needed to exercise and do weights to stay in shape or else it all falls apart. There are those who naturally have great muscle tone and could eat anything all day long and be just fine, not me. What is a hobby for some hitting the gym is a must for some people to stay healthy and alive.

#57 ·
I've been going to the gym seriously for two years now and this is my result, just taken recently onstage.

I do a lot of squats, deadlifts, bench, dip, pull ups and those variations. Only compound moves tires me. And I've been eating a lot of veges and beefs and fish, some chicken and indulge in KFC once a while.

#64 ·
And update -
Squat - 135-375 for reps
Deadlift - 185-410 for reps
Power clean - 135-225 for reps (proud of that figure)
Bench - 135-315 for reps with a 375 personal record last month

I'm 212lbs at about 13-14%bf (checked with digital caliper for those concerned :p)

#66 ·
Just saw your big three stats, and man, you have made some major improvements! I say go for the natural bb comps if you have the motivation and desire.

I hate power cleans, and we do them all the time at our crossfit/strength training gym. 225's a damn good number. I think my clean pull is only 185.

#67 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot brother! I actually forgot to update, I pulled 250 on power clean a couple weeks ago! I know crossfit guys are power clean lovers.

I'm hoping to get my body weight up to 225-230 before the years out, and then cut down to 205ish...I feel if I'm shredded at that weight, I may be ready for it...

Edit: oh and btw, 185 was my max about 4 months ago on power clean until I really started hitting it.

#70 ·
Thanks man. I'm not looking forward to cutting though...I'm going to be around 225-230 at probably 16-17% bf. Goal is to cut down to ~8% about March-april-ish and hopefully end up between 205-210 pretty shredded... My last cut did not go great so this one will be 100% perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.