Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Camera Lens

4K views 57 replies 7 participants last post by  Distantshore 
#1 · (Edited)
As many of you know, I recently got myself the Canon 30d along with the 18-55 kit lens and the Tamron 70-300.
As you may have guessed I am already wanting to upgrade my kit lens. I want something that will work as a general purpose lens and was leaning heavily toward the Canon IS series lens. I had a couple in mind, but I thought I would just get some opinions in case there is something else out there I should consider.
I am looking to spend $300-$700 right now,,,or should I wait and spend more money on a lens later on, that will be worth the upgrade.

#41 ·
"Yes all the photos are processed using CS2. I have a workflow for those night shots which involves levels, curves, layers and colour balance. I like to bring out the night sky where I can and give them a saturated look. Night shots can be so short of colour."

On this page is an unedited photo of a train station

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/589540/0

and here is the edited version

http://www.pbase.com/making_trax/image/89118331

looks like cropping, saturation and levels adjustment.
Anyway he's very good at it.

#42 ·
the pics are cool (seen them before) but they're not pictures in a photography sense. you could email him and he'd need a book to write up all the tweaking he did. come on, look at them. i recall he posted at DPR. ask for the low-res originals and see what you get ;)

they're digital art.

photoshop manipulation into a simulated Thomas Kinkade. Impressive work, but i'm not into digital art myself, only more natural, purer photography... glen

#46 ·
the pics are cool (seen them before) but they're not pictures in a photography sense. you could email him and he'd need a book to write up all the tweaking he did. come on, look at them. i recall he posted at DPR. ask for the low-res originals and see what you get ;)

they're digital art.

photoshop manipulation into a simulated Thomas Kinkade. Impressive work, but i'm not into digital art myself, only more natural, purer photography... glen
It's a big debate about where you draw the line between photography and digital art.
I think it doesn't really matter, it's all art to me and I think more and more it's getting harder to distinguish since most photos are digital and they are all manipulated to some extent.

#47 ·
it's not ordinary.

it can be striking, some of it does look good, especially on first take.

it's just not photography.

the line is very clear... the fact it's so blatently, over the top UNNATURAL is the clincher.

this is digital art this time manipulating a simple, rather poor photograph in the IMG above. in years past that would just be a painting... glen

#48 · (Edited)
it's not ordinary.

it can be striking, some of it does look good, especially on first take.

it's just not photography.

the line is very clear... the fact it's so blatently, over the top UNNATURAL is the clincher.

this is digital art this time manipulating a simple, rather poor photograph in the IMG above. in years past that would just be a painting... glen
Well then we'll disagree about what is good photography.

I don't think either of those photos above are all that great it was just one before and after example. I don't consider the process that extreme and I don't think it makes it any less of a legit photo.
People have always done this in photography by using special film that enhances color, filters, darkroom processes etc. When someone uses film that makes a photo grainy, or black and white is it then no longer a photograph but some other form of art?
Anyway as I've said before "to each their own."

#52 ·
DSLR Newbie Alert!

Forgive me for asking too many questions. I didn't want to post this question in the current photography thread.

What are the main differences between the EOS XTi and the XSi?

I'm working on a deal for an XTi with a combo of Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lenses. Would the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM be a more versatile lens over the 28-135mm?

I'll be using this kit mainly for nature / travel / family / band shoots. I've held both the 40D and XTi. I have medium sized hands and small, stubby fingers, so the compact body of the XTi isn't a problem for me. Should I wait for the XSi to be released and shell out the extra cash?

I'm an advanced beginner to the DSLR world. I have 35 mm SLR photography (mostly with a 50mm manual focus lens) and darkroom experience from 25 years ago, but my digital photography has been limited to an Olympus point and shoot.

#54 ·
XSi is newer & nicer... notably the live view and spot metering. If you don't need either of those the XTi is probably a better buy and will create smaller files (12MP is pushing the limits imho of a 1.6x crop aps-c sensor).

It's also not available yet. 28-135 is a better lens & faster but 11mm longer so you lose the wider angle perspective. You might want to get the kit lens (for 17-55 almost a free lens) then pick a longer zoom but this is strictly a personal preference. If the 28-135 is too long then what good is it?

i'd also consider a refurb 30D from adorama... they're listing for $650 regularly and is a much better body than either of the above, more fps (5 vs 3), great price! ...glen

#53 ·
Glen can tell you more, but from my understanding the XSi has a better sensor. It has live view, more mega pixels and I think it comes with better kit lens. Oh and it has a larger lcd screen. I am guessing if you waited you would be getting a better camera. I have the XTI, but love the sounds of the XSI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.