Cost of living in Australia - Page 3 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Moderator
 
cerealk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,431
Re: Cost of living in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post

The problem for us is timing. I am redundant in Jan, and we really won't know anything until xmas or after about this opportunity. If we want to go to Oz we are going to be in limbo and it is dependent on a few outside influences. My dilemma is whether to start a new job if offered the right kind of thing in the UK as I really don't want to leave a new role after only a few months unless it is a temporary contract, and there aren't a lot of those that pay good money. If we could afford to just live on my wife's salary in the UK it woudl be a lot easier!
Perhaps you should assume that the Australia think wont happen and you take the job for yourself. That way you will have money coming in and if Australia happens you are sorted!

If it really is a short time you could always omit it from your CV as you were 'resting' prior to you move to Australia.

Once you have a job in Australia your references in the UK wont be needed.
cerealk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,561
Reviews: 34
Re: Cost of living in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk View Post
Perhaps you should assume that the Australia think wont happen and you take the job for yourself. That way you will have money coming in and if Australia happens you are sorted!

If it really is a short time you could always omit it from your CV as you were 'resting' prior to you move to Australia.

Once you have a job in Australia your references in the UK wont be needed.
Well, I won't take another serious job if the chance of Australia looks good. It isn't fair to any prospective employers and it would probably mean moving house first, which would be disruptive to us. Apart form anything else, I have had a couple of short tenures (my choice, and for legitimate reasons) in the lsat 5 years and the next job really needs to last >3yrs to redress the balance.

I am applying for some really interesting stuff at the moment and if it doesn't happen for Australia I am sure that I will be in a really enjoyable job here. The thing is that I actually really enjoy working and my industry, so staying here and cracking on is just as attractive an option.

Anyway, watch this space. No news on anything yet.
nickcoumbe is offline  
post #33 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:44 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 12
Re: Cost of living in Australia

Well all guitar shops are insanely overpriced.
Luke0739 is offline  
post #34 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,561
Reviews: 34
Re: Cost of living in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke0739 View Post
Well all guitar shops are insanely overpriced.
Yep, I'll be bringing my own with me should we make the move.

We should have an idea by Xmas anyway.
nickcoumbe is offline  
post #35 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 PM
 
IbanezFreak777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,163
Reviews: 25
Re: Cost of living in Australia

We got the Logies and the Aria's and those alone should make you turn around quick smart and never think of Australia again
IbanezFreak777 is offline  
post #36 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,561
Reviews: 34
Re: Cost of living in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
We got the Logies and the Aria's and those alone should make you turn around quick smart and never think of Australia again
Sorry old chap, don't understand your banter
nickcoumbe is offline  
post #37 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 01:54 AM
 
IbanezFreak777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,163
Reviews: 25
Re: Cost of living in Australia

Better you not understand....
IbanezFreak777 is offline  
post #38 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 04:43 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: utah
Posts: 21
Re: Cost of living in Australia

Not to start stuff, but my best bud lives in Brisbane, and she's talked me into moving there. I've been doing research on it for several months now. and while certain things are oddly overpriced (30,000 dollars for a TOYOTA RUCKUS? Mine was 16,000 NEW.) the minimum wage is also around 16.00 dollars an hour, so its wise to remember they're on a different dollar than the US one (though last I checked both dollars actually traded very similar. yay economy)

She also said if anyone who lives in Adelaide was hating on Australia, or said they hated immigrants. it was because Adelaide is full of African Immigrants. and is a bit of a craphole (I don't know if the two things are related)

now, when I get to brisbane I will have a group of people to kinda... help me acclimate.

I'd love to get some opinions on all of this from people who AREN'T my best friend.
AGWAN is offline  
post #39 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,561
Reviews: 34
Re: Cost of living in Australia

UPDATE:

Looks like we are going to Adelaide, and it will be around September.

Just need to work out how guitars to bring and how many to sell
nickcoumbe is offline  
post #40 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 06:55 AM
 
IbanezFreak777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,163
Reviews: 25
Re: Cost of living in Australia

Congratulations...
This is the best place for Ibanez in South Australia http://www.ibanezguitarcentre.com.au/

If you happen to have a 540PII bring it to adelaide and I will buy it
IbanezFreak777 is offline  
post #41 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 06:57 AM
 
IbanezFreak777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,163
Reviews: 25
Re: Cost of living in Australia

ooh and I almost forgot, welcome to the cost of living in Australia that will also include high priced guitar equipment
IbanezFreak777 is offline  
post #42 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 02:29 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,007
Reviews: 120
Re: Cost of living in Australia

Congratulations on the move. Hope you love it here.

Things may be more expensive, but remember wages are generally a bit better here, and right now the Aussie Dollar is STRONG. Buy overseas if you feel you must.
LonePhantom is offline  
post #43 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,561
Reviews: 34
Re: Cost of living in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
ooh and I almost forgot, welcome to the cost of living in Australia that will also include high priced guitar equipment
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Congratulations on the move. Hope you love it here.

Things may be more expensive, but remember wages are generally a bit better here, and right now the Aussie Dollar is STRONG. Buy overseas if you feel you must.
Thanks guys. We are just waiting for the actual offer in writing, so it could still go pear shaped.

I am trying to decide how many guitars to bring. I am pretty sure it isn't going to be 13 though . I've got a couple of projects to finish before we leave and all my tools go into storage/the bin/thebay

Need to sell at least 7 and all my amps. Not really a major problem, but it might work out better to take the higher value guitars and sell them once we get there. Not sure about that one.
nickcoumbe is offline  
post #44 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 9,007
Reviews: 120
Re: Cost of living in Australia

Your amps will work here, we're on the same voltage.
LonePhantom is offline  
post #45 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Adelaide , Australia
Posts: 1,289
Angry Re: Cost of living in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWAN View Post
Not to start stuff, but my best bud lives in Brisbane, and she's talked me into moving there. I've been doing research on it for several months now. and while certain things are oddly overpriced (30,000 dollars for a TOYOTA RUCKUS? Mine was 16,000 NEW.) the minimum wage is also around 16.00 dollars an hour, so its wise to remember they're on a different dollar than the US one (though last I checked both dollars actually traded very similar. yay economy)

She also said if anyone who lives in Adelaide was hating on Australia, or said they hated immigrants. it was because Adelaide is full of African Immigrants. and is a bit of a craphole (I don't know if the two things are related)

now, when I get to brisbane I will have a group of people to kinda... help me acclimate.

I'd love to get some opinions on all of this from people who AREN'T my best friend.
My hometown,a craphole? tell your friend to go f@#k herself!! She's plain rude and is generalizing,Brisbane's great everywhere hey!? No!!!!

She know's nothing!

For the record,Brisbane/Gold coast is the only other place i would live besides Adelaide,but i needed to get that off my chest.
corey j grieve is offline  
Reply

Tags
australia

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Steve Vai living in his own world? Davey Polls 90 01-09-2008 09:18 PM
What's everyone do for a living? Aaron_Jem_FP Off-topic / Miscellaneous 249 08-23-2007 08:43 AM
living with your mother-in-law shredmaster Off-topic / Miscellaneous 62 06-17-2006 03:45 AM
Anyone Living In Sydney Australia nickcoumbe Off-topic / Miscellaneous 5 08-26-2005 05:08 AM
In Living Colour !!! - yee haa ! Jupiter Players, Bands, People, Music & Tours 14 09-04-2003 09:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome