Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Cost of living in Australia

Tags
australia
12K views 99 replies 24 participants last post by  nickcoumbe 
#1 ·
There is a reasonable possibility that my wife may get offered a job in Australia in the next few months in either Brisbane or Adelaide. I have been doing some research and found a lot of negative comments about the quality of life (poor service, housing not great etc etc) and cost of living compared to the UK, US and Europe.

I was surprised by this as it is the complete opposite of what I have heard before.

So, does anyone have any feeback on living in Australia?

What sort of wage do you think a small family (just the 3 of us) might need to get by on and live comfortably?

What is the healthcare like and is it necessary to go private, and the same with education and schools?

Also, the spiders. Seriously, how often have you seen the really big or dangerous ones. I am pretty relaxed about the buggers in the UK, but doing some reading I am not comfortable about the idea of funnel webs wandering into the house if it is a common occurence.

#50 ·
Guitars will go as part of your unaccompanied baggage, some companies might specify extra charges for them but Allied Pickfords, as one example, didn't. They will have to be covered under insurance, of course.

Costings will be impossible until you decide what to take (furniture etc?) and whether you want sea freight/air freight. Volume is obviously the killer for shipping charges! Simplest way is just to get some quotes from the various international removals companies, you're going to have to anyway.

#54 ·
Ok, well it looks as though we are getting closer to going. We don't have Visas yet, but job offer for my wife is on it's way, so a few more questions.

I am trying to work out what it is going to cost to ship stuff as opposed to buying it there. Any ideas on an average price for the following?

3 seater sofa (leather chesterfield of course, I am British remember)
Double bed and matress
Dining Table (6 person)
Chest of drawers
Dish Washer

I know there is a huge variation in price on all things, but an idea would be good.

Also, cars. I presume there is a second hand market. Any good websites to browse to get an idea of what's around?

#55 ·
#56 ·
Congratulations and welcome to Gods country.....Sydney is his prefered living location but Adelaide is a nice place to start.

I just read through this thread for the first time and LMFAO as it developed and it was pi55 funny.

Good luck with the move - I bet you'll never go back. Don't sweat the guitar situation with the Aussie dollar up you can always import easily enough.

-Wolfram

#65 ·
Thanks also for all the info on the different areas.

I must admit to being slightly disappointed that we aren't going to Brisbane. Then I realised that the Barossa Valley was right next to Adelaide and it didn't seem like such a hard choice anymore.

Plus Steel Panther are playing on the 1st October supporting Van Halen, so now we have a target for moving :twisted:

#92 ·
If it was just my wife and I, backpackers would be the obvious choice. However we have a 6 yr old, so it needs to be a little bit more than that.

I would have thought hotels would be more expensive than an apartment. Good thought, I'll check some out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.