<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:38 PM
(a)

Re: Cost of living in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post

The problem for us is timing. I am redundant in Jan, and we really won't know anything until xmas or after about this opportunity. If we want to go to Oz we are going to be in limbo and it is dependent on a few outside influences. My dilemma is whether to start a new job if offered the right kind of thing in the UK as I really don't want to leave a new role after only a few months unless it is a temporary contract, and there aren't a lot of those that pay good money. If we could afford to just live on my wife's salary in the UK it woudl be a lot easier!
Perhaps you should assume that the Australia think wont happen and you take the job for yourself. That way you will have money coming in and if Australia happens you are sorted!

If it really is a short time you could always omit it from your CV as you were 'resting' prior to you move to Australia.

Once you have a job in Australia your references in the UK wont be needed.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealk View Post
Perhaps you should assume that the Australia think wont happen and you take the job for yourself. That way you will have money coming in and if Australia happens you are sorted!

If it really is a short time you could always omit it from your CV as you were 'resting' prior to you move to Australia.

Once you have a job in Australia your references in the UK wont be needed.
Well, I won't take another serious job if the chance of Australia looks good. It isn't fair to any prospective employers and it would probably mean moving house first, which would be disruptive to us. Apart form anything else, I have had a couple of short tenures (my choice, and for legitimate reasons) in the lsat 5 years and the next job really needs to last >3yrs to redress the balance.

I am applying for some really interesting stuff at the moment and if it doesn't happen for Australia I am sure that I will be in a really enjoyable job here. The thing is that I actually really enjoy working and my industry, so staying here and cracking on is just as attractive an option.

Anyway, watch this space. No news on anything yet.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:44 PM

Well all guitar shops are insanely overpriced.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke0739 View Post
Well all guitar shops are insanely overpriced.
Yep, I'll be bringing my own with me should we make the move.

We should have an idea by Xmas anyway.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 PM
(a)

Reviews: 25

We got the Logies and the Aria's and those alone should make you turn around quick smart and never think of Australia again
Old 12-13-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
We got the Logies and the Aria's and those alone should make you turn around quick smart and never think of Australia again
Sorry old chap, don't understand your banter
Old 12-13-2010, 01:54 AM
(a)

Better you not understand....
Old 12-13-2010, 04:43 PM

Not to start stuff, but my best bud lives in Brisbane, and she's talked me into moving there. I've been doing research on it for several months now. and while certain things are oddly overpriced (30,000 dollars for a TOYOTA RUCKUS? Mine was 16,000 NEW.) the minimum wage is also around 16.00 dollars an hour, so its wise to remember they're on a different dollar than the US one (though last I checked both dollars actually traded very similar. yay economy)

She also said if anyone who lives in Adelaide was hating on Australia, or said they hated immigrants. it was because Adelaide is full of African Immigrants. and is a bit of a craphole (I don't know if the two things are related)

now, when I get to brisbane I will have a group of people to kinda... help me acclimate.

I'd love to get some opinions on all of this from people who AREN'T my best friend.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 AM

UPDATE:

Looks like we are going to Adelaide, and it will be around September.

Just need to work out how guitars to bring and how many to sell
Old 01-30-2011, 06:55 AM
(a)

Congratulations...
This is the best place for Ibanez in South Australia http://www.ibanezguitarcentre.com.au/

If you happen to have a 540PII bring it to adelaide and I will buy it
Old 01-30-2011, 06:57 AM
(a)

ooh and I almost forgot, welcome to the cost of living in Australia that will also include high priced guitar equipment
Old 01-30-2011, 02:29 PM

Reviews: 120

Congratulations on the move. Hope you love it here.

Things may be more expensive, but remember wages are generally a bit better here, and right now the Aussie Dollar is STRONG. Buy overseas if you feel you must.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
ooh and I almost forgot, welcome to the cost of living in Australia that will also include high priced guitar equipment
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Congratulations on the move. Hope you love it here.

Things may be more expensive, but remember wages are generally a bit better here, and right now the Aussie Dollar is STRONG. Buy overseas if you feel you must.
Thanks guys. We are just waiting for the actual offer in writing, so it could still go pear shaped.

I am trying to decide how many guitars to bring. I am pretty sure it isn't going to be 13 though . I've got a couple of projects to finish before we leave and all my tools go into storage/the bin/thebay

Need to sell at least 7 and all my amps. Not really a major problem, but it might work out better to take the higher value guitars and sell them once we get there. Not sure about that one.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 PM

Reviews: 120

Your amps will work here, we're on the same voltage.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:45 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGWAN View Post
Not to start stuff, but my best bud lives in Brisbane, and she's talked me into moving there. I've been doing research on it for several months now. and while certain things are oddly overpriced (30,000 dollars for a TOYOTA RUCKUS? Mine was 16,000 NEW.) the minimum wage is also around 16.00 dollars an hour, so its wise to remember they're on a different dollar than the US one (though last I checked both dollars actually traded very similar. yay economy)

She also said if anyone who lives in Adelaide was hating on Australia, or said they hated immigrants. it was because Adelaide is full of African Immigrants. and is a bit of a craphole (I don't know if the two things are related)

now, when I get to brisbane I will have a group of people to kinda... help me acclimate.

I'd love to get some opinions on all of this from people who AREN'T my best friend.
My hometown,a craphole? tell your friend to go f@#k herself!! She's plain rude and is generalizing,Brisbane's great everywhere hey!? No!!!!

She know's nothing!

For the record,Brisbane/Gold coast is the only other place i would live besides Adelaide,but i needed to get that off my chest.

Tags
australia

Show/Hide Posting Rules