Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Cost of living in Australia

Tags
australia
12K views 99 replies 24 participants last post by  nickcoumbe 
#1 ·
There is a reasonable possibility that my wife may get offered a job in Australia in the next few months in either Brisbane or Adelaide. I have been doing some research and found a lot of negative comments about the quality of life (poor service, housing not great etc etc) and cost of living compared to the UK, US and Europe.

I was surprised by this as it is the complete opposite of what I have heard before.

So, does anyone have any feeback on living in Australia?

What sort of wage do you think a small family (just the 3 of us) might need to get by on and live comfortably?

What is the healthcare like and is it necessary to go private, and the same with education and schools?

Also, the spiders. Seriously, how often have you seen the really big or dangerous ones. I am pretty relaxed about the buggers in the UK, but doing some reading I am not comfortable about the idea of funnel webs wandering into the house if it is a common occurence.

#6 ·
Cost of living in Brisbane has increased recently, but I don't think it's that bad.

Spider wise, funnelwebs aren't too common, but they are nasty.
How often have you seen them? I have read how nasty they can be. The deadliness doesn't bother me, but the aggression/running at you does.

If you're used to the UK, I understand Australia is MUCH cheaper. Adelaide's quite nice - very strong arts/cultural scene, easy to get around, clean. My partner's from there so I've visited it quite a lot. (I've never been to Brisbane so I can't comment there).

There's a running joke in Australia that Adelaide's 50 years behind everyone else but I don't know where that came from because it's actually the opposite: the population there is such a close representation of the whole scope of Australia that it's often used as a test market for new products and technologies.

You don't need to go private to get good health care, although of course you'd get 'more' if you go private. Spiders aren't a problem in Adelaide as far as I know.

Also, Adelaide has a store called The Ibanez Guitar Centre. What more do you need?
Ok, doesn't sound too bad.

I read a lot of comments from people from the US saying that Aus was v. expensive and not great to live in:

http://www.expatforum.com/articles/cost-of-living/cost-of-living-in-australia.html

Maybe it is just expensive for people who haven't lived in the UK.

Saying that, looking at rental prices of $500+ /week for a 3 bed house does sound comparable to, if not slightly more expensive than the UK.

#3 ·
I moved to a place quite a way south of Sydney near a big national park a year ago if you're going to get nasty spiders anywhere its in this area. I've only had 2 spiders in the house, 1 huntsman in my daughters room and an unknown little bugger that I promptly killed. I've lived I'm Aus 8 years now and never seen a funnelweb or similar so don't worry :)

It's more expensive to live in Sydney than people think but the standard of living is so much better than England and I would know I lived in England for 27 years. If you don't mind living out in the burbs I guarantee you will love it, I loved the city too for 7 years but needed a bigger house and garden etc. for my daughter.

#4 ·
I live in newcastle, but its still expensive as.

But, get this
im 16, about to do school certificate,
I wish to go into law/Music when im older....
doing law will still be enough to get by, but if I was a session musician, i hardly have a chance.......
and also Australian guitar pricing sucks too!

Cam-Vai

#5 ·
If you're used to the UK, I understand Australia is MUCH cheaper. Adelaide's quite nice - very strong arts/cultural scene, easy to get around, clean. My partner's from there so I've visited it quite a lot. (I've never been to Brisbane so I can't comment there).

There's a running joke in Australia that Adelaide's 50 years behind everyone else but I don't know where that came from because it's actually the opposite: the population there is such a close representation of the whole scope of Australia that it's often used as a test market for new products and technologies.

You don't need to go private to get good health care, although of course you'd get 'more' if you go private. Spiders aren't a problem in Adelaide as far as I know.

Also, Adelaide has a store called The Ibanez Guitar Centre. What more do you need?

#7 ·
One of my co-workers was transferred to Sydney about a year and a half ago. He says that it's brutally expensive for living expenses such as food, etc. His work pays his housing, and he says if it wasn't for that, they'd be screwed. They're a family of five tho, so if it's just the two of you it might be more manageable. I guess it depends on your standard of living, too. I guess his family isn't too happy about the move either, saying they miss the way of life/standard of living in the US. They say the people there are top-notch, but the lifestyle isn't for them. Also the food is quite different for an American palate. Not that it's better or worse, just tastes different. Guy eats like a pig whenever he gets back to the US because his money goes so much further and the food is much more to his liking. Your mileage, naturally, may vary.

I've been to Sydney and Brisbane, but just for work travel, and for short periods of time. Yeah, food and gas are expensive. To me the food didn't have much taste, but I didn't starve, either. Can't comment on the housing. There's plenty to do and the people are very cool. I think if you go into it with the mindset that you're going to enjoy your time there, you probably will. If you think you won't like it, you probably won't. It's not the US or the UK, it's Australia. Not better or worse as far as living goes, just different. If you're open minded and welcome new experiences, it might be a good move for you. If you're going to be disappointed if it's not just like the UK, I'd stay home.

As for the spiders, it's probably like it was for me moving to Hawaii. They talk about the big spiders and the giant centipedes here. The centipedes had me a little worried - I can deal w/ big spiders and other bugs, but the centipedes here ARE huge and really creepy! They're mostly in rural areas, apparently. I haven't seen a single one since I've been here (thank God!). I'm guessing the more populated the area you live in, the fewer bugs you're going to deal with.

#9 ·
How old are you? If you're young enough then I'd say go for it for sure. If you don't like it, you can always come back. Nothing's forever these days. It will just be another amazing life experience.

I know a couple of people who've emigrated to oz from the UK, and by all accounts they love it. Not really heard much negative about the cost of living, but certainly they're all really chuffed with the increase quality of life. Sunshine, good public services, plenty of space.

Give it a whirl

#10 ·
Australia is currently massively expensive for any Brit because of the exchange rate, so don't expect your savings to go far once you convert to Aussie dollars.

Once you're living out there (assuming your wife is getting paid in Aussie dollars rather than being paid a sterling salary from the UK) relative costs are not going to be far different to the UK (expensive!), but expect house prices/rents to be equal or higher (house prices went up 20% in the 12 months to March 2010). Of course it will depend to a degree where you live.

My opinion, having lived out there, quality of life is far better. The culture is much more recognisably British than the US, which is why I suspect Americans find it less to their satisfaction (there is no great service culture in Australia!), but I found it much more relaxed and friendlier than living in the UK. And of course the weather is great (and don't underestimate how much good that will do you).

But let's not pretend Australia doesn't, like all countries, have its problems too (eg drugs, racial tensions, social deprivation, anti-social behaviour) - of course your exposure to any of that will depend on where you end up, and you may see no sign of it at all.

Medicare will give you roughly comparable service and coverage to the NHS, but much like the NHS if you want better service you'll have to pay for it privately.

Don't worry about the spiders at all, I hate the buggers and only saw one close to home in the 18 months I was out there (a redback on my balcony that had no answer to the bug spray, and actually was the least fearsome thing you could imagine!). Everyone has a story about Uncle Bill from Mudgee who flipped down his car sun visor and had a huntsman the size of a dinner plate fall in his lap but the reality is you will probably never see one. In all seriousness I found more of a hassle with the bush flies.

I don't think you'd regret going out (everyone I know who did it, loved it). I know I loved it, and I've currently got an offer on the table to go back out and have no reservations about doing it at all.

#12 ·
Anyway, all good info, thanks guys.

It sounds like a comparable place in price to the UK with a more relaxed attitude. I had a friend who lived in NZ for a while and I visited there and loved it. I believe that Aus is a bit more colourful, but basically a friendlier place than the UK.

#13 ·
LMFAO!!!!
Food tastes bland....WTF!!! lol
$500 a week rent.....WTF!! lol that's more than my mortgage for 4 bedrooms,2 bathrooms,2 living areas,7 car shed,walk in robe,pantry and enough land to build another house.(only rent in the heart of sydney city would really cost this for a small place).

Anyway,Australia is a top notch lifestyle and I'm very lucky to have made it here.
Free health care.
AWESOME weather and open space.
There is no issue with anything too deadly in the city or burb's other than Redback spiders and the odd very rare Brown snake(Adelaide). I've killed 3 or 4 snakes but only when i lived on the outskirts of the burbs. My wife was bitten by a redback a cpl of months back and just sat at hospital until the headache past,it was'nt a big fat female but a juvenile so no threat really and no one has died from a red back bite in my time here. The spider was in our bed though!!
Fuel is expensive,but we have no control over it. I paid a $1.30aud yesterday for 100 octane blend but i live 10 mins from work,so who cares!? If I'm in my muscle car i'll consume 90 litres in a cpl of hours of heavy foot action,who cares...not me.

The BEST country in the world for me,i won't be moving back to my home country!!
I live in Adelaide which is small enough to be quiet when you want,but has plenty to do when you want,very art orientated. The only negative to Adelaide is big tours will skip us now and again as we're only 8hrs drive from Melbourne. I have been all over the world and OZ and i always long to come back home to Adelaide,the only other place i would consider moving is Brisbane/Goldcoast which IMO is THE best place in OZ.

Don't believe too much of the negatives your told because to be honest,most Australians don't want people coming here.

#16 ·
Yeah in the heart of our city (town) or any city for that matter you are gonna pay a premium.
The beauty of Adelaide as a whole is it's small,i live way out in the suburbs yet even in peak hour traffic I'm only looking at a 30 min drive in or out to the uni(i've played there many times).
Public transport from my house is a 20 min train ride or 40 min bus ride,not super painful by Australian standards. This may seem crazy far to you coming from the UK though,i remember saying to my dad are we there yet 10mins into my first drive there!! lol I'm born n raised UK also.
I would be looking around suburb's like Prospect and Nailsworth if i were you,it's literally a 10 minute drive to the city center and the average rent is around $380 per week for 3 bedrooms.

#20 ·
Coreys advice looks pretty sound. Although im in melbourne....the far north suburbs where it borders on country area.....my biggest problem is f#ckin kangaroos. I hit my 10th roo a couople of weeks ago. They make a decent mess of your car if your doing more than 60kmh.
That said, i dont know what Adelaide is like for roos.
Best of luck mate!! :)

#24 ·
Hi Nick, how are you? :)

Australia is great. I moved here ion 2004 after 12 years in London and wouldnt dream of moving back unless I was offered insane money >100 grand

The cost of living is much cheaper than the UK, especially London.

The three of you would live comfortably almost anywhere in Australia on a joint household income of greater than $100,000

Medicare (NHS) is very good but due to the tax laws Private Health Insurance is highly recommended. Make sure you sign up in the first 12 months or you get a 2% premium on future Private heathcare costs.

I would go private for the schools, but I went to private school in the UK.

Funnel webs are more prevalent in Sydney. Here in Melbourne we have white tail spiders and occasionally a red back. No big deal really-just kill the ****er. We had our house professionally fumigated and all the spiders we had seen disappeared and problem solved.
You warn children never to touch spiders and kill everyone you see.

I would choose Adelaide over Brisbane. Although Brisbane has more sun it also have more flooding and some pretty drastic traffic problems-although these are slowly being eased by new roads including a new motorway from the airport.

Melbourne is the most European of all Australia's main cities. Sydney-siders believe they are the only ones in Australia. Everything is better, warmer, bigger etc. in Sydney apparently.

On rent; I have paid $1000/month for a two bed flat in Melbourne, $1200 for a house just a little bit further out, $1400 for a huge five bed room house in the country etc.
Commuting is reasonably cheap especially compared to London but just pick a suburb with good public transport links unless of course your work provides free parking.

Cheers

Simon

#25 ·
Hi Simon, long time no see, I am fine mate and I hope you are as well. I was sure you would have some input on this :)

So it all sounds good. Checking out some of the suburbs makes it look a lot more feasible financially, and to be honest I can't imagine Australia really being more expensive than the South of England!

Salary wise we should be able to hit $100,000 with out too much of a problem. My wife will be on a reasonable proportion of that, and I should be able to make up the rest.

The problem for us is timing. I am redundant in Jan, and we really won't know anything until xmas or after about this opportunity. If we want to go to Oz we are going to be in limbo and it is dependent on a few outside influences. My dilemma is whether to start a new job if offered the right kind of thing in the UK as I really don't want to leave a new role after only a few months unless it is a temporary contract, and there aren't a lot of those that pay good money. If we could afford to just live on my wife's salary in the UK it woudl be a lot easier!

#30 · (Edited)
If you're coming here from the UK, don't worry about the spiders and snakes. Worry about summer. Most Brits I know say that the heat knocked them for six when they first experienced it. You do get used to it, but at first, damn... I've live here all my life and it still takes me a few months to settle into summer. Make sure you get a house with a great working air con, because the only thing worse than the summer days are the summer nights.

Also, if you google "the worlds most livable cities" you will see that most of the Aussie cities are listed somewhere (usually in the top 10)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_most_livable_cities

#38 ·
Not to start stuff, but my best bud lives in Brisbane, and she's talked me into moving there. I've been doing research on it for several months now. and while certain things are oddly overpriced (30,000 dollars for a TOYOTA RUCKUS? Mine was 16,000 NEW.) the minimum wage is also around 16.00 dollars an hour, so its wise to remember they're on a different dollar than the US one (though last I checked both dollars actually traded very similar. yay economy)

She also said if anyone who lives in Adelaide was hating on Australia, or said they hated immigrants. it was because Adelaide is full of African Immigrants. and is a bit of a craphole (I don't know if the two things are related)

now, when I get to brisbane I will have a group of people to kinda... help me acclimate.

I'd love to get some opinions on all of this from people who AREN'T my best friend.

#43 ·
Congratulations on the move. Hope you love it here.

Things may be more expensive, but remember wages are generally a bit better here, and right now the Aussie Dollar is STRONG. Buy overseas if you feel you must.
Thanks guys. We are just waiting for the actual offer in writing, so it could still go pear shaped.

I am trying to decide how many guitars to bring. I am pretty sure it isn't going to be 13 though :) . I've got a couple of projects to finish before we leave and all my tools go into storage/the bin/thebay

Need to sell at least 7 and all my amps. Not really a major problem, but it might work out better to take the higher value guitars and sell them once we get there. Not sure about that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.