Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Fires in Victoria, Australia.

5K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  Spiritinthesky 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Who here on Jemsite falls under the following categories?

1. Are in Victoria and under threat from the fires.
2. Are in Victoria.
3. Have friends/family in Victoria under threat.
4. Are somewhere in Australia and aware of the situation or
5. Are not in Australia, but are aware of the situation?

For those of you who don't know, bushfires are engulfing the state of Victoria in south-eastern Australia. At least three towns have been completely destroyed and wiped out, at least 650 homes destroyed, and last time I heard the death toll is 50 people and counting. Many of those people are young children. Some were found in houses, others in burnt out shells of cars leaving the towns.

One scene that really opened me up to how quickly the fires were going was a scene of two cars turning a corner in a town, except they weren't moving. Instead, they were just burnt out shells. They were on the edge of leaving the town when the fire hit them. To see what is usually a normal scene of everyday life turned into that context was quite scary.

And worst of all, the authorities say many of the fires were deliberately lit.

To those of you who know the story of Ash Wednesday 30 years ago, this event has been described as far worse. :(

See less See more
#43 ·
Ok, it's been a while, but here are some updates:

- The official death toll is now 209.
- Today is a national day of mourning in Australia. A touching service was held this morning.
- The school fundrasier I mentioned last time raised $2493.
- In total, over $100,000,000 has been donated.

And for those of you who haven't gotten a proper look at what this whole thing was about, here are the pictures.

Starting with satellite images from NASA:

And some shots of the actual fire events themselves, the first one being just metres from a farm border:

And finally, the aftermath:

And there are plenty more out there. : (

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.