Ibanez JEM Forum banner

FOOD FOR SCARY THOUGHTS!

4K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  DancingDrake 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I'd read about this a while ago. Bit of a nasty risk if its true: This might lead to great discoveries, but it might just wipe us all out of existence.

If there's a realistic element of doubt, I'd rather they left it turned off! All sounds like scaremongering to me though.

#7 ·
no its to study how protons react with each other in hopes of discovering new technologies that are lightyears away

even with the posibility of manipulating and processing atoms at a atomic size in hopes of creating new materials that are possible to co-exist but not found on earth

thats a peice of my understanding of it

#8 · (Edited)
They need to finish that, it could usher in a whole new science, discover new form of energy and physics. Transistors were the biggest discovery of the 20th century, where electricity was the previous century, this machine could bring us to something new and just as big. There was one point is our lives that humans thought that if we traveled more than 10 miles an hour we wouldn't be able to breath, we need to grow up and try new things or continue to think like that. Turn this machine on.

I also want to make another note to that people thought the same thing in earlier collider experiments when experiments with partial/anti-partial collisions were first theorized, oh, look, were still here ;)

#10 ·
Okay, this just goes to show you how weird and irrational we humans can be. . . so I'm reading this article about how an upcoming experiment might create a black hole that would swallow the earth, and then it mentions how CERN (the experimenter) hasn't filed an environmental impact statement!

I mean, do you catch the absurdity? How would you write that? " . . . side effects might include the end of all life as we know it." LOL.

#13 ·
Well, if he's an M.D. radiologist, then he does have to have a pretty good understanding of atomic/nuclear physics, since he deals with it on a daily basis to do his job. On the other hand, it's probably not to the same level as the egghead PhD's running the accelerator. Fire it up, I say.

#14 ·
Not wanting to be controversial or anything but this guy filing the lawsuit is nothing short of a conspiracy theorist.
Also I don't see how a law suit filed in Hawaii can have any bearing on a scientific facility built in Switzerland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider#Safety_concerns

The ultimate goal for this is to help us come up with a unified theory that can bridge the gap between quantum mechanics and general relativity.

I'm personally more excited about this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER

If ITER and the subsequent DEMO reactor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEMO

work as expected we'll have access to much much cleaner and safer way of energy production by 2050 also by then I'm hoping fuel cells and ultra efficient batteries and ultra efficient electric motors would have replaced most internal combustion engines so we can finally make the jump from fossil fuels into cleaner energy production.

#19 ·
Oh good god, people need to know what they're talking about before they freak. Black holes aren't alive, and they don't eat, and they don't grow, they aren't monsters. The black hole they're creating is extremely small, and honestly, it might not work. If anything, it might eat an atom or two.
Black holes also slowly disinegrate. It's expected that it will "die" in a little while, and everything will be cool.
I hate it when people turn scientific progress into comic book madness.
smitty

#28 ·
Unlike all of you. (look down nose) I do have a PHD in partical physics and feel ..... oh wait a minute, i might have dreampt that? :rolleyes:

It would be a SUPREME! irony if in trying to find out the origins of everything that in the process we wiped it all out! Talk about a kick in the bollock! "I know the meaning of life..... oh Pisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss" (being sucked into a black hole)

#30 ·
OK, having read the article, the biggest two things that strike me are:

A) An Hawaii court has no jurisdiction over Europe, so CERN don't have to do a damn thing, they don't even have to turn up, so what's the point of filing the suit?

B) This guy could've filed in Europe and CERN would have had to turn up, but he didn't do that because he wanted to save money. Dude, if you're really that concerned that the Earth and Universe as we know it is about to be destroyed, wouldn't you want to spend an extra couple of $ to make sure it didn't? Put your money where your mouth is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.