<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:25 PM
(a)

Re: GAS Prices at $4 tomorrow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Unfortunately this is just comentary on how most Americans choose to live so close to their budget that a swing of $20-$50 a week is enough to cause crisis.
i wish i could choose. i have no credit cards and i don't go out and party and i don't drink. i pack a sandwich everyday for work. it's bills and mortgage like everyone else. we don't have cable and we use the air when we really need it. we make enough money to get from check to check like most people i know. an extra $100 a month for gas is not going to last very long. most people i talk to have had their job outsourced to india...half my co. has been outsourced, as has the last co. i was with and our already-low pay was cut again. don't like it? at least you have a job...that's what we're told. yes i'm grateful to have a job or i would be in the street and who would help us then?? the "government"? sure they will. maybe i'll try using the cheap toilet paper or better yet, maybe no toilet paper, and a shower every 4th day to save water. if i cancel electric i can save at least $45 a month! maybe every little bit really helps.

Last edited by shredmaster; 09-06-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:02 AM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster
i wish i could choose. .

Every case is case by case, but, didn't you just do allot of upgrades to a house you just bought? You chose to do them, as you chose the house to buy. You could have bought less, or waited to upgrade, etc. etc. Just a small example of how the decisions we make put us in situations we must live with.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:34 AM
(a)

I filled up my car last yesterday at 94p a litre, which works out to $1.73 US a litre....
Old 09-07-2005, 09:51 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Every case is case by case, but, didn't you just do allot of upgrades to a house you just bought? You chose to do them, as you chose the house to buy. You could have bought less, or waited to upgrade, etc. etc. Just a small example of how the decisions we make put us in situations we must live with.
yeah rich, we did choose to buy a home, you're right. this home is cheaper than the apartment i was living in and we have a little more room since there are 4 of us (2 kids.) 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath...not a huge home, built 9 years ago. kinda hard to pass up when you're starting a family. as far as the upgrades they were needed, not wanted. the entire carpet had piss stains from the previous owner's dogs. the house smelled of urine. we had no choice but to replace it. the walls also had markings and dirt from their 2 brat kids along with scuff marks and some cracks and holes. i "upgraded" or patched and painted the walls and few holes there were. the house was under $170k when we got it. i don't think i'm living beyond my means at all but simply providing a nice starter home for my new family to live in. we do the best we can with what we have.

Last edited by shredmaster; 09-07-2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:57 AM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

you guys are both "right" unfortunately. the bottom line is that it takes alot more earning power to maintain even the basic and simple lifestyle nowadays (rent/home, car to get to work, health insurance, auto insurance, utilities, etc). I mean, basics like a bag of apples in the supermarket is $6. Any home around here nowadays is 2-3x that cost regardless of condition. Rent is brutal, even if you live in a less-desirable area... unless you are in a public housing (welfare) type system. This is something our leaders fail to recognize since these are problems they never have and never will face personally... glen
Old 09-07-2005, 11:40 AM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster
i don't think i'm living beyond my means at all but simply providing a nice starter home for my new family to live in. we do the best we can with what we have.
Maybe not beyond, but too close to your means. Which was my point
Old 09-07-2005, 12:44 PM

For many of us, to live any further AWAY from our means, would be moving to the ghetto or trailer park. And I'll be damned if I'm not going to at least live in a decent neighborhood, where I don't have to worry about the little bit I DO have being ripped off.

Believe me, my wife and I both work, we have a much smaller house than I would ever prefer to live in, no car payments, and we still end up living paycheck to paycheck. I'm not exactly making minimum wage, either... Health insurance takes alot of my pay, though, so sometimes I feel like I am... I, like so many others, wish I COULD live more within my means, but it's just not possible right now.

The people that are to blame, are the ones that are intentionally living beyond their means. Take my ex-drummer and his wife, for instance. They have a beautiful home, full of nice things. They always have new gas guzzlers, and guess what? They don't own ANY of it! Even their lovely living room furniture is from Rentacenter. And they are ALWAYS bitching about being broke.

People like Shredmaster and myself are just trying to get by, with what we need to survive. Please try to see the distinction here...
Old 09-07-2005, 12:47 PM
(a)

3.29 here. It's insane.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:51 PM

Actually, it went DOWN here, yesterday. It's "only" $2.99, right now. I'm not expecting that to last for long, thouugh.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:03 PM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshisname

People like Shredmaster and myself are just trying to get by, with what we need to survive. Please try to see the distinction here...
What is it that people don't get? If living in a trailer park [fixerupper, etc.] means living well within your means, then living in a trailer park is where you should be!! The CHOICE to live in a nice neighborhood [have a nice startup home, etc.] is the choice you make. If you make this choice then fully expect to either be working a second job to stretch your means, or fully expect that a small crisis is enough to bring the whole house of cards tumbling down. It's just that simple.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Damn, drove out through BC on the weekend, hit a town called Golden where gas prices are always higher because it's kind of your "last chance for gas" town, and it was at $4.50 a gallon (after converting to US gallons and US$$$) for premium.

Gas here in town is now at $3.91 a gallon for regular!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:20 PM

WTF don't YOU get, Rich? We ARE working as much as humanly possible, but it's not enough now.

We have always done rather well, before now, Rich. I work as much as I can, and my wife is currently looking for another job. We ARE doing everything we can, but I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to sell my home, and become some inner city white trash trailer park family, because my current situation seems to bother those that are better off.

Is that a choice? Sure it is. It's choice to keep my family away from the scum that live in the trailer parks around here, and out of city schools that are full of crime. It's a pretty f*cking easy choice to make, when the alternative is so grim. What would YOU do in this situation? Would you REALLY move into a sh!tty neighborhood, and send YOUR children to a sh!tty school, or would you rather make the choice to have to struggle harder financially?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:27 PM

I don't think Rich is criticizing you, or anyone, really. He's pointing out that people stretch themselves financially quite a bit -- too much sometimes. Sometimes it's for a good reason, but it's still a stretch. Sometimes, it's just to keep up with the Joneses. And sometimes, it's just plain irresponsible.

He's just pointing out what happens when people's money is stretched too far, a swing in gas prices from $2.50 to $3.50 can really cause financial hardship.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:30 PM
(a)
Vendor

I get it just fine, and the bottom line is, whether the choice is easy for you, or the choice is tough, it's still your CHOICE.

Scum live everywhere!! Scum live in million $ homes. Trailer parks don't corner the market on scum. Plenty of upright decent folks living within their means in single wides.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:37 PM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
I don't think Rich is criticizing you, or anyone, really. He's pointing out that people stretch themselves financially quite a bit -- too much sometimes. Sometimes it's for a good reason, but it's still a stretch. Sometimes, it's just to keep up with the Joneses. And sometimes, it's just plain irresponsible.

He's just pointing out what happens when people's money is stretched too far, a swing in gas prices from $2.50 to $3.50 can really cause financial hardship.
Exactly, and this is all I'm saying. People chose the lifestyle and the standard of living they live.

My father left at 7AM every morning to drive 40 minutes to teach school. Got home at 4:30, relaxed for a bit [or did chores], ate dinner, and then worked at Acme from 7-10 every night [and all day Saturday] as a butcher. Sunday was the only day off, and that was the day to work around the house [so not exactly off]. My mother was a teacher too, which is why he had to work the extra job, because a teachers pay back then was pretty bad. And all because of their choices in where we lived, what we drove, etc. etc.

Tags
darren wilson, les paul, playing guitar

Show/Hide Posting Rules