Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Going to Tokyo

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Mattitude 
#1 ·
I am going to Tokyo this April, and I was wondering what guitar-related stuff should I look for.

What's that famous street in Tokyo that sells guitars called again? I got to make sure I go there and see if I can pick up some good deals. What are the other major guitar stores that I can visit?

I'll be sure to take photos of anything guitar related and bring it back for you guys.

#2 ·
The best area is Ochanomizu, followed by Shibuya and Shinjuku. Take the 'JR Yamanote line'. You are going to have an amazingly good time. You have to eat at a "yakiniku' restaurant while you are there. It is Korean BBQ, there is a little gas bbq grill in the center of the table and they will bring you thinly sliced raw meat. Cook it up yourself, dip it in the sauce (put some garlic in there) and wolf it down with rice. For fun, go to Roppongii around 9 or 10 at night and plan on partying until the sun comes up.

#3 ·
Don't forget Ikebukuro. It has a really big Ikebe. It's really close to Shinjuku so don't worry about the distance or anything. And you should be able to find it on the JR line easily. If you need any help with directions shoot me a PM and I can get you some help.

But, GilkyBear's right you definately need ot go to ochnomizu (tea's water). They have shop uopn shop there. I recommend shabu-shabu. It's meat dipped in soups of different flavors. The meats so thin it boils in the liquid while you dip it and then you eat it immediately. You can get a ton of different soups too. There are a lot of good foods here in Japan.

#7 ·
Tokyo is my favorite city in the world!!! If you've never been there before be prepared to be amazed! The best advice I can give you is to befriend a local as soon as possible as it will make your travel and overall experience much easier and more fulfilling. It's pretty easy to get real lost in Tokyo, but if you are in Hong Kong then you should'nt get stressed by big, busy city life. Even if you are there for a week you won't see close to half what Tokyo has to offer and it is so easy to go bankrupt there as every where you look there is some shop that is packed with cool stuff...even though most shops are about the size of a walk in closet. I lived in northern Japan for 4 years and would go back in a second. You are a lucky bastard ;)

#13 ·
Yeah would love to move to Japan, but decent job is hard to find and work visa is a .... you know what...

But I think I might have to visit some Japan jemsiters sometime in the near future ;) I feel like a long Japan vacation might be on order soonish.

#16 ·
I have to check that.

I have a masters degree (MSc) in International IT Management.

I think I will make an extended holiday this year in Japan and possibly look for some alternatives job wise hehe. To learn the language might be a hurdle to master though. I can only speak 3 sentences so far ;)

#22 ·
You're gonna have a blast buddy. I've lived in Tokyo for 7 years now and it just never gets boring. There are a load of guitar shops, and if you search a bit, good deals can be had especially in some of the smaller shops esp in the bigger places like Shinjuku and Tokyo. Also if you come across any small 2nd hand shops they occassionally have some real bargains. I saw a 2004 Universe in one in Harajuku i think for 55,000 yen.

Whilst you're there, as well as the Shabu-Shabu etc already mentioned, head to an area just behind the Odakyu station in Shinjuku and get down and dirty with the local salary men in one of the many, many little wooden Yaki-Tori bars. It's a great experience and you'll get to speak to the Japanese when they're at their best; after a good few beers! Oh, and Kabuki-Cho is a must!

Have a great time whatever you do and hope you find something special.

#23 ·
little wooden Yaki-Tori bars. It's a great experience and you'll get to speak to the Japanese when they're at their best; after a good few beers!
Yakitori....REALLY good stuff!!! But remember that if it's on a chicken, you can find it skewered on a wooden stick on your plate. I never knew that you could eat chicken knees or the little nub that the tail feathers are on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.