Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Greatest sports streaks/dynasties

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  63Blazer 
#1 · (Edited)
Roger Federer, 237 weeks at #1, 17 Grand Slams/80 ATP titles
Margaret Court's 24 Grand Slam titles/192 titles
Jack Nicklaus' 18 golf majors, 73 PGA wins
1960s/70s UCLA basketball team 10 titles between 1963-1975
Ichiro ten consecutive years at 200 hits or greater including most hits in single season
Boston Celtics 17 championships
New York Yankees 27 World Series titles
John Madden's 76.3% percent NFL winning record
The Great Gretzky (nearly everything in hockey)

There are so many what is your top sports records?

My vote goes to Ichiro, considering how hard it is just to hit 200 or more in one season. And though Raiders only had one title in Madden's years, who can go an average equivalent to a 12-4 year after year for a decade?

#2 ·
big sports fan here, as you probably have figured out already ;o) I hope Roger's records never gets broken cuz my wife and I are huge Federer fans...

didn't we have a thread on this already? : http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f13/w...roken-in-sports-131823.html?highlight=gretzky

My answer would be the same as in that thread:

I think Teemu Selanne's record of 76 goals in a NHL rookie season is truly amazing...that will NEVER happen again...especially the way the game is played now being over-coached with systems etc

Ok now on to Wayne Gretzky, and by the way I'm pretty sure Wayne holds the record for the most sports records...lol…and I guarantee that none of these records will EVER be broken. The only ones that I think might possibly be remotely possible to reach might be MVP streak or perhaps point scoring streak but all of those season and playoff totals are absolutely untouchable. It is a truly incredible and amazing list by the 'Great One':

Fewest games needed to score 50 goals: 39
Most goals in a season: 92
Most career points: 2,857
Most career goals: 894
Most career assists: 1,963
Most goals in the first 50 games of a season: 61
Longest point-scoring streak: 51 games
Most points in a season: 215
Most assists in a season: 163
Most consecutive 40-goal seasons: 12
Most 100-point seasons: 15
Most consecutive 100-point seasons: 13
Highest points-per-game average (50 or more points) in one season: 2.77
Most career games with three or more goals: 50
Most shorthanded goals in a career: 73
Most games with three or more goals in one season: 10
Fewest games to reach 500 goals: 575
Fewest games to reach 1,000 points: 424
Most playoff points in a career: 382
Most playoff goals in a career: 122
Most playoff assists in a career: 260
Most points in one playoff season: 47
Most playoff games with three or more goals: 10
Most consecutive scoring titles: 7
Most consecutive MVP awards: 8

#3 · (Edited)
big sports fan here, as you probably have figured out already ;o) I hope Roger's records never gets broken cuz my wife and I are huge Federer fans...

didn't we have a thread on this already? : http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f13/w...roken-in-sports-131823.html?highlight=gretzky

My answer would be the same as in that thread (but more for unbeatability versus "greatness"):

I think Teemu Selanne's record of 76 goals in a NHL rookie season is truly amazing...that will NEVER happen again...especially the way the game is played now being over-coached with systems etc

Ok now on to Wayne Gretzky, and by the way I'm pretty sure Wayne holds the record for the most sports records...lol…and I guarantee that none of these records will EVER be broken. The only ones that I think might possibly be remotely possible to reach might be MVP streak or perhaps point scoring streak but all of those season and playoff totals are absolutely untouchable. It is a truly incredible and amazing list by the 'Great One':

Fewest games needed to score 50 goals: 39
Most goals in a season: 92
Most career points: 2,857
Most career goals: 894
Most career assists: 1,963
Most goals in the first 50 games of a season: 61
Longest point-scoring streak: 51 games
Most points in a season: 215
Most assists in a season: 163
Most consecutive 40-goal seasons: 12
Most 100-point seasons: 15
Most consecutive 100-point seasons: 13
Highest points-per-game average (50 or more points) in one season: 2.77
Most career games with three or more goals: 50
Most shorthanded goals in a career: 73
Most games with three or more goals in one season: 10
Fewest games to reach 500 goals: 575
Fewest games to reach 1,000 points: 424
Most playoff points in a career: 382
Most playoff goals in a career: 122
Most playoff assists in a career: 260
Most points in one playoff season: 47
Most playoff games with three or more goals: 10
Most consecutive scoring titles: 7
Most consecutive MVP awards: 8
I forgot to mention Wayne...he IS hockey!

As well as greatest, Wayne is also in the category of first thread I put on what records will never ever be broken.

For tennis there's always somebody who could come up, great as Nadal/Fed/Djo but perhaps do so in a time there's not as great a competitive field and they will win 20 majors like a couple of women have. I also think that had Woods not had a lot of issues outside of golf, he could have at least tied Nicklaus.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this, too:

Sugar Ray Robinson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sugar Ray Robinson (born Walker Smith Jr.; May 3, 1921 - April 12, 1989) From 1943 to 1951 Robinson went on a 91 fight unbeaten streak

As for honorable mention, Robinson should be put in the same sentence as an Ali (multiple heavyweight champion great) and Pacquiao (his 8 different weight class titles).

While not making them the greatest team that year or with the most feared roster, a streak which won't be repeated often (maybe never) was the great run of the underfunded Oakland A's memorialized in "Moneyball". That was such an amazing movie.

A hunch tells me that somebody nobody expected to do well will go all the way in the NFL this year. A 25-1 odds team may go 13-3 and fly through the playoffs. It could be a year Denver, New England, San Francisco, and Seattle won't be in the championship series in their divisions. At least for NFC, I could see an Eagles-Falcons final game.

But just based on bad mojo and bad luck (maybe even unseen curse), what would amaze me more than anything I have seen in my life would be for the Dallas Cowboys to go all the way. Many Cowboys teams have won it all but there was chemistry, but I can't think of too many teams that seem to have a curse on them like this Dallas team. For a lot of years out west, the Angels were the team you could bet on losing and seeing great careers whither and back east that team was the Red Sox but today both teams have curses revoked. What could be a lot of fun would be a Cowboys-Jets Superbowl.

But for tennis, check this out and your wife may like this if she remembers battle of the sexes way back when:

#4 ·
Even though this doesn't come close, I like how my SF Giants finally got a WS win after 56 years but then followed up with another win just two years later. While I didn't expect anything for many more years, now my SF Giants are in their third NLCS in just five years.

We are not a dynasty like the 1990s Yankees or anything, but if we could pull off a WS or even just an NL pennant (and have 3 WS titles in five years, or even two WS and one NL pennant in five years), that's "dynasty" level enough for me.

I guess some would want a professional sports team to get four titles in a decade like 1980s SF Niners, 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers, 1980s LA Lakers, or '96-'00 Yankees to be an undisputed dynasty but coming from no titles while in SF to two recently and a good shot at one this year, it's all buzzing over here in norcal.

#10 ·
Even though this doesn't come close, I like how my SF Giants finally got a WS win after 56 years but then followed up with another win just two years later. While I didn't expect anything for many more years, now my SF Giants are in their third NLCS in just five years.

We are not a dynasty like the 1990s Yankees or anything, but if we could pull off a WS or even just an NL pennant (and have 3 WS titles in five years, or even two WS and one NL pennant in five years), that's "dynasty" level enough for me.

I guess some would want a professional sports team to get four titles in a decade like 1980s SF Niners, 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers, 1980s LA Lakers, or '96-'00 Yankees to be an undisputed dynasty but coming from no titles while in SF to two recently and a good shot at one this year, it's all buzzing over here in norcal.
So now it's official and I forgot to post here. SF Giants - Dynasty for reals! ;)

We missed on getting Jon Lester during hot stove so hopefully the Giants can get a good person or two in offseason and be a legitimate team, sans Pablo Sandoval, in 2015.

#5 ·
Floyd Mayweather.

Jon Jones finally showed he was human in the Gustafsson fight but he has 7 consecutive title defenses and an essentially undefeated career, but for one DQ loss as a result of a very esoteric technicality in a fight he was otherwise dominating. What I think sets Jon apart from someone like say St Pierre is that the Light Heavyweight Division is full of murderers. Jon is the first example of super high caliber NFL/NBA type genetics making their way into MMA and he is only 27 with LHWs tending to peak in their early/mid 30s.

If he beats Cormier and Gustafsson again, you may as well shut down the division, he will never be beaten by anyone on the horizon.

Few athletes are as dominant as he is.

#6 ·
Sachin tendulkar: Biggest name in cricket. He had near about all the records in world cricket. Including 100 centuries, more than 35000 runs highest run scorer in both Test and ODI format of cricket. which including, Most Runs, Most centuries, Most half Centuries. and Many more

#7 · (Edited)
Not a great streak, but Johnny Van Der Meer threw back to back no hitters. That would be tough to better.

Martin Brodeur's records: (EDIT- these are his Goalie only records)

NHL records as of April 14, 2014

Most regular season wins: 688
Most regular season shutouts: 124
Most regular season losses: 394
Most playoff shutouts: 24
Most shutouts, regular season & playoffs combined: 148
Most overtime wins: 47
Most 40-win seasons: 8
Most 30-win seasons: 14
Most consecutive 40-win seasons: 3 (tied with Evgeni Nabokov)
Most consecutive 35-win seasons: 11
Most consecutive 30-win seasons: 12
Youngest goalie to reach 300, 400 and 500 career wins
Only goalie to reach 600 career wins
Most career saves: 28,508
Most games played by an NHL goaltender: 1,259 (also most played with only one team)
Most total minutes played by an NHL goaltender: 74,083
Only NHL goalie to score a game-winning goal
Most career goals by a goaltender, including playoffs: 3
Most career goals by a goaltender in the regular season: 2
Only goalie to win 100 games in two separate buildings (Continental Airlines Arena and Prudential Center)

Regular season
Most wins in a single season (48, in 2006–07)
Most minutes played in a single season (4697, in 2006–07)

Playoffs
These statistics are accurate as of the end of the 2012 NHL Playoffs:
Most shutouts in a playoff campaign (7, in 2003)
Most shutouts in a Stanley Cup final (3, in 2003; tied with Toronto Maple Leafs' Frank McCool)
Third goaltender to win the Stanley Cup with a Game 7 shutout in 2003.
First goaltender in history to have 3 shutouts in two different playoff series (1995 against Boston in the Conference Quarterfinals, 2003 against Anaheim in the Stanley Cup final.)
Most points and assists in a playoff campaign (4 assists, in 2012).

#11 ·
Martin Brodeur's records: (EDIT- these are his Goalie only records)
Yup, some of Marty's goalie records are incredible and many of them are unlikely to ever be broken - especially his shutout records. Although you have to give his team and the system they were playing some credit for those records because his records wouldn't look like that if he had been playing for a team like the Islanders who weren't very good during the Devils years of prominence. But that's how it is with team sports...

#13 · (Edited)
I wanted to give my kudos to Boston and Tom Brady who finally got his 4th SB ring to match Joe Montana and Terry Bradshaw. But even if he didn't get that win, which was in doubt until last botched Seattle play, Brady has completion and rating career numbers that both Montana and Bradshaw can't touch. But if he's to be considered the best QB overall, in regular season and postseason, then he has a few numbers he has to improve upon, namely career yards and career TDs.

If Brady remains healthy and doesn't take stupid chances, he can up those enough to compete on the Peyton Manning level and be a one man New England dynasty. Too many players have come and gone to consider New England as a team a true sports dynasty. Right now the GOAT in regular season is totally Peyton while the GOAT in postseason QB goes to Brady with six Super Bowl appearances with no quarterback exceeding his wins. I don't know if Tom can catch Peyton but if he gets close then Tom will own the GOAT title as QB in football.

But what looms on the horizon which can be exciting for Boston is two things. Hitters Ramirez, Sandoval, and Ortiz giving Boston another World Series ring, but other than that they can help cement their best of dynasties if they transfer the emphasis from pitching to hitting as was the key in the steroid era. Few things would be as exiting in American sports, but a hitting based emphasis in baseball sans steroids would be something few would have predicted and nothing less than a paradigm shift. But without steroids, a Red Sox winning big with hitters would be notable not just to that team, but the whole league when we see others getting more out of their money with three guys hitting big and hitting near .300.

Even though I am not a Red Sox fan it would be righteous to see them do a back to back in 2015-2016 with those three hitters. It would put that team in terms of arguing as one in its era on par with Jeter's Yankees ('96, '98, '99, '00, '09). We still love the Panda over here in San Francisco.

I don't think it's premature to think the Red Sox have a shot at being compared to Jeter and company. But it may be premature to crown the Cubs as the next big thing, but with who they have playing, and more important who they have behind the scenes, they are making a seriously expensive play for greatness and effort like that usually pays off big.

2015 baseball will be exciting for the Giants and/or A's in my neck of the woods, but for many other teams like Boston, Chicago, and probably Stl again.

But for norcal, how about those Warriors going on to post one of the nine best recent NBA seasons ever at this point, and we still have six games left! It's not a streak or dynasty but it's totally weird for a perennially awful team like the Warriors. If they go and win it all it will be more amazing than any sports season I have ever witnessed locally. The biggest NBA team season records are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_teams_by_single_season_win_percentage with '95-'96 Bulls showing an .878 which was a part of their own sports dynasty of 6 titles in 8 years.

#14 · (Edited)
Not to call US Women's Soccer a dynasty, but it's remarkable how great the USA is here considering the lack of championships on the men's side.

The talk is about avenging Japan who won the last World Cup, but we have to get past Germany first right as I am typing this. While many considered the USA to be the best team four years ago, Japan put together an unlikely run and won it all. Germany could actually be the team to beat this year. The pressure is off of them since the world is waiting for the USA to go against Japan but it's possible neither team will make it and it could be Germany-England in the final.

UPDATE:

We are in the final again and pending tomorrow's Japan-England semifinal, we will either go against England who is a major underdog or avenge the 2011 loss against Japan. England has only been as far as World Cup semis twice but only on men's side including their 1966 victory. This will be huge for them and they would have to get past 2011 champs Japan and then a strong US squad.

#15 · (Edited)
So Japan wins on a fluke when England's defender gives ball to own goalie but instead the ball goes in and Japan wins 2-1. That's an awful way to lose and I feel sorry for goalie. I am sure this move has been done 1,000 times without incident and the nerves of the World Cup may have contributed to England's loss. Most never expected England to be there.

But the worst thing, which is rare, is when the opposing goalie knocks one across the field in usual fashion and a perfect bounce coupled with an inattentive opposing goalie ends in a point. My high school soccer team was worst in division and we scored only one point all season and were beaten by opponents by eight to ten points every time. We were always at zero.

But in one game where the opposing team got 12 points or more, we did get one goal when our goalie kicked one across the field and it went in. The opposing goalie had no reason to care at this point and certainly didn't expect ball to bounce the way it did. We walked off like winners even though they scored a dozen times and we had that one solitary point.

While the other team was great it went to show that no matter how great a team is, you have to always pay attention and that goal we scored was pretty much a fluke which made the winning team (and probably of division) the laughing stock of high school soccer for years. I don't even think the other team's goalie knew we were playing or where the ball was and was looking in stands or at his shoes or something. When you are up by 12 points and the other team has zero points it's easy to lose track of the game or simply not care anymore. We were so bad that sometimes a player on the opposing team would go get a drink of water or to the bathroom and we still got routed. Since there were no refs or people in the stands and it was soccer in the 1980s in the USA, we could have all played naked and nobody would have been there to notice.

Though it was over 30 years ago I will never forget our one point we made that season. I don't know if we brought the bong to that game but I didn't smoke so I was clear and I saw the point but I am sure there were some so stoned they didn't notice. But some kids on the team made this a reason to go party after the game.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.