Ibanez JEM Forum banner

GUESS WHAT!!!! - Jemsite Mobile Website

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Meechy 
#1 ·
#8 ·
What do you really expect, there are people like you, and there are full on dicks who feel like they need to sound smarter than everyone else. And the one guy was right, there is an option in the website itself. But as far as I know, I'm the only one here with a functional Jemsite android app, and I guess that's how it's going to stay

#11 ·
"Full on dick" hey? Get over yourself kid and chill out. There's two different mobile templates as a result of a discussion here a few years back. There was talk about apps, etc and it was decided that a decent mobile template did more than enough. You can add an icon to your home screen if you want, easy.

People miss the drop down at the bottom of the page, and some have come here talking about apps, but it's really not a necessity. You want one, good for you. I work in an online environment, working on making stuff work for desktop and mobile platforms. The general consensus from most is get a mobile template working anyway (which has been done here) rather than spend time making specific apps for different platforms. It's time better spent. I didn't come here to have a go at anyone, but hey again. If you want to take the time to make something that isn't really necessary then go for it.

#9 ·
"Site not found" but that is a great idea.
There is a mobile template, but writing an app for it?
I'd love to have a dedicated app for it!
Good for you, I don't even have to see it to say I'm sure it's great work.
I'm envious and want one, and trust me, I am smarter than everyone else. :p LOL

#12 ·
I'm actually a software engineer/solutions architect by trade...so i'll throw in my .02 for what it's worth (i'll try not to sound preachy)...

As ItalianPCTech said thanks for spending time on it, this type of stuff takes a lot of time and effort as you know. Not faulting you for this but as you probably know a good general rule before coding anything is to spend time figuring out requirements and taking time to talk to the end users. It sounds like there was a lot of discussion about what to do for mobile some time ago, and it sounds like you were unaware of those discussions. Having that knowledge and discussing solution alternatives may have led you down a different path based on feedback you got from others. Regardless, having this input would have been better before investing any time in coding something. At the very least communicating a head of time would have helped you sell your ideas.

For what it's worth my opinion is that a mobile web app is probably sufficient for this forum, I don't see a compelling reason to build something native. I do think though that the mobile templates leave something to be desired (small touch targets, small fonts, pinch and zoom still required, no gesture support, etc.). Also, I didn't even notice the drop down at the bottom for a long time and was limping along with the desktop template, so that in and of itself is a problem. IMO something like a responsive web template would be better than what is here today, or even mobile specific template with improved usability...but for the latter looking at some sort of device or feature detection to display it automatically based on how you're viewing the site as opposed to relying on people to find the dropdown. Most mobile sites do this and provide an option to get back to the "full site" if they want (ebay is one example).

As for native, I don't see a compelling reason to create an app unless there was a way to capitalize on native OS features like push notifications, geolocation, etc. Having something like push notifications for subscribed threads or PMs could be neat, and I'm sure we could dream up other ways to leverage the native OS. But in the absence of that I think folks here probably made the right decision to just leave it as mobile web.

Anyway, I'm not complaining...i know everything that is done here is done for free on people's spare time so I'm grateful just to have the web site. It's a very valuable resource and seem to be a lot of good people here. If people do want to shake up the design at all I'd be happy to help to help if needed in any way possible. Anyway, happy coding geetar_kid and would love to take your apk for a spin to see what it can do.

Peace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.