Guitar shipping costs US > England - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Guitar shipping costs US > England

I'm looking at buying a PRS CE and because of the strong pound to dollar it's looking as though I'll be buying it from the States

I've sounded out a few sellers on the bay with regards to the shipping of the PRS to England but have been given totally wild variations in shipping costs - anywhere from $90-$280

So, as I'm sure there's loads of US based guys here who've sold and shipped guitars to England, roughly how much should I budget for just for the shipping?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:06 PM

Re: Guitar shipping costs US > England

It's not so much shipping costs you have to worry about, import duties on a guitar of that price will probably cost a lot more. I've had shipped guitars from the states insured for around $160. That was a long time ago though, it might be cheaper / more expensive than that now.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:07 PM

I normally pay around $120 for a cased guitar shipped by USPS. Only issue I have is that although they say 5 days to deliver, you can wait up to 3 weeks, particularly at this time of year.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:17 PM

And when you get it, prepared to have your trousers around your ankles and plenty of lube available becuz yo' is gonna get the shaft on the taxizzle.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

I've been thinking about the tax thing... is it some kind of black art as to what parcels they tax and what parcels they dont?

I've bought shed loads of stuff from the states - necks, bodies, trems and pups but out of all the parcels I've got I think I've only been stung for tax on 1 neck (roughly £12 if I remember right of which about 7 quid was duty and 5 quid was Parcel Force 'admin fee')

I guess as soon as they see 'guitar' on the customs label they'll pull it straight away though

whats the tax rate then? is it just the V.A.T.? if it is I *think* I'd still be in a saving position over buying a PRS CE from England. It wouldn't be a huge saving but I should still be making a 10%-15% saving which I think is ok-ish I guess
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 03:43 PM

It used to be hit and miss, but now it's defintely 'hit' 100% of the time.

Best way to work it out is to get the price and then bang 22% on it. It'll be less than that but not by much and that way you'll be guaranteed to be covered when it arrives if you take that into account.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 04:37 PM

Priority mail is the only USPS option [besides postal Fedex], insurance is max at $650. Fine for RG570's but not for guitars worth much more.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 04:37 PM

A few months ago, I sold one of my RG550s to Ian who lives in Manchester. It shipped in a UV1000, which is a large case for a 6 string.

International Priority Mail via USPS, valued and insured @ $500 was about $135 IIRC.

UPS wanted $250.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode