<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM

Guitars and your Partners :)

Me and mate always joke that we have to buy guitars without the missus knowing about because will get kicked of our house. Fortunately my partner love's my guitars and is always fine when I make a big purchase which isn't that often. She was in love with my DNA(Didn't tell her the full price though so shhhhhh )

Aynone else have a missus who love's guitars or do you have to aquire you're guitars secretely because you know you will be in for beating when she finds out you've spent alot of money on one.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 PM

Reviews: 15

Re: Guitars and your Partners :)

At the moment my gear acquisitions have been kept secret because of our financial situation. Luckily I have a gear hoarding cousin that comes over with different guitars so my wife doesn't know what's what. As soon as I get back in the working world there's no need for the cloak and dagger.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:43 PM
(a)

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverctr View Post
Luckily I have a gear hoarding cousin that comes over with different guitars so my wife doesn't know what's what.
nice ;o)

My wife seems ok with me buying guitar stuff - within reason - the only problem is that if I buy a guitar or amp or pedal or something then she thinks that's the green light for her to go buy something...which sounds ok in theory but the problem is that she only works 4 days per week at a minimum wage job while I work 5 or 6 days a week and make more money, and pay pretty much all of the bills, so when she goes and buys something then sometimes she has less money to help me pay the bills while I still have to make all the bill payments because they all come out of my bank account...not to air my relationship's dirty laundry but that is what I have to deal with sometimes...all in all she is pretty cool about me buying guitar stuff...I try to keep flipping stuff on cragslist so I can satisfy GAS when it comes up...
Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

My girls always liked the fact I'm a guitar player, in fact some of them saw me the very first time at the stage.
Even if some of them didn't like, I'd give a damn cause it's my life.
Of course when we had money together in the same bank account, I only used some money for gear if we won't use it in anything else.
As a musician, 10% of my payiment goes to a separate bank account, if I have any problems with gear, that money will save me(yeah I wish!).
Keep in mind gear to a musician = tools to work and not pedals around the house bought because of GAS.
My GAS is for music/playing and not buying gear(thank God)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 PM
mike570  is online

Reviews: 21

In reality I could buy new gear but I'd feel rotten doing it as there are other larger priorities in life now. And it hasn't been easy because the last few years have been a buyer's market.
I've only bought a couple of pedals over the last few years. Nothing major. My wife is totally down with all the gear, though. She doesn't understand kind of since all the RG's look "the same" but I swear to her they all have a distinctly different feel and voice.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:38 PM

well my wife awesome. I sold a couple of guitars and my amp to get some extra cash for a vacation.

So because of that she said i could get whatever amp i wanted with in reason. I just picked up a mesa road king for a good price... and i still have a couple of other guitar projects i have to finish up and she is cool with that too.

I am always honest with her about my guitar stuff though. She is supportive and knows that i enjoy playing a lot. It also helps that she thinks most of my guitars are sexy too.lol
Old 01-24-2013, 03:38 PM

my fiance and me are in a band together so she gets it. But I've sold about as much stuff as I've bought so its not like I have a roomfull of axes anymore,, I think I'm down to 7 electrics??
Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 PM

When I got my gear out to check before a gig my wife pointed at the VDY I had got recently and said, "I don't remember seeing that before!"
She did know all about it but she'd forgotten!
Jim
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 AM

Reviews: 1

I wrote a whole series of posts in this thread about this very topic.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63756

Just the ever lasting battle between a gear addict and his wife's lack of understanding.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 AM

between me and gear,, and her with clothes, shoes, etc,, I think we are about even.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
nice ;o)

My wife seems ok with me buying guitar stuff - within reason - the only problem is that if I buy a guitar or amp or pedal or something then she thinks that's the green light for her to go buy something...which sounds ok in theory but the problem is that she only works 4 days per week at a minimum wage job while I work 5 or 6 days a week and make more money, and pay pretty much all of the bills, so when she goes and buys something then sometimes she has less money to help me pay the bills while I still have to make all the bill payments because they all come out of my bank account...not to air my relationship's dirty laundry but that is what I have to deal with sometimes...all in all she is pretty cool about me buying guitar stuff...I try to keep flipping stuff on cragslist so I can satisfy GAS when it comes up...
You do get the concept that you are married, right?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 AM

Right now I have put all big purchases on hold. Myself and my fiance are saving for our wedding in 2014, house downpayment, etc. Gotta get all that stuff straightened away first before I start buying large items for myself! But she doesn't really care as long as it doesn't have a negative impact on the bottom line!

However, I do have a list of gear I want to purchase next year!

Ibanez UV70p, Freidman BE-100, and maybe a Gibson or a Fender! We'll see how things go!
Old 02-13-2013, 02:02 PM
(a)

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
You do get the concept that you are married, right?
yeah, I get it...lol... ;o)
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM

My girlfriend doesn't see much difference in any gear, but we don't share assets, and I don't buy much, so it's never been a problem. She does give me looks though when she knows how much I've spent, and then I say I have no money to go out.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 PM
(a)

My gf is pretty cool about it. She doesn't berate me when I start eyeing a new piece of gear, or when something new shows up on the doorstep. She just finds it amusing--because in her opinion "1-2 guitars... and an amp should be enough."

She has a similar "gear addiction" because she knits and crochets. I've never seen so much yarn in my life, and every time we go shopping she comes home with more yarn. So, any time she teases me about MY gear, I just point to all the unused skeins of yarn lying around.

It works out pretty well.

Tags
guitars jems ibanez

Show/Hide Posting Rules