Ibanez JEM Forum banner

How many hours a week do you work?

8K views 62 replies 46 participants last post by  Spiralkeeps 
#1 ·
Just curious? I was talking to a friend and she seemed really distressed that she had to work 60 hours. I usually do 80-100 depend on what needs to be done but I really really love what I do. Sometimes it sucks but it's very rewarding emotionally.

#44 ·
I probably average about 45-55, overall. Some weeks (really, the entire first month after quarter end, or if we have a big project going on) I'll put in more than that, some slow weeks I'll take off early at the end of the day, but it averages out to a little more than a 40-hour workday. I think on paper I'm paid for a 42.5 hour workweek (8:30-5, minus an hour a day for lunch), but I feel like I'm paid fairly/generously here so I'm fine with that. I also work for a small, family owned company that is both very good at what we do, and understands that part of that is because of the people we have working for us, so they're really good about making sure no one is carrying more than they can sustain for long periods and that we all have a good work life balance and recognizing people for the work they put in. The job before this one I absolutely hated, to the point where I just quit and figured I'd take my chances finding something else, and while the hours weren't THAT much longer (I averaged north of 60, occasionally broke 80), I was on my blackberry constantly, I wasn't sleeping, and I was under crushing amounts of stress so it was just killing me. The hours don't tell the full story - the quality of those hours matters more than the quantity.

I also have a pretty managable commute, maybe 45 minutes, walking and on the subway, so that helps. ;)

Kyle - you've clearly never had the right cup of coffee, man! :)

#45 ·
I'm pretty settled in at the hospital where I work, been here 16 years now. Pay is good, 40 hour work weeks... and every 5th week I have to be on-call for a week (after hours).

The problem is that I want to move back home to AZ... and in this day and age of high unemployment and scarce jobs I am reluctant to just jump ship, move, and hope to find something there ASAP. I have a feeling that leaving this place and hitting the road would be good for me. I think I have settled down a little too much and have fallen victim to the "security" of a steady job w/good benefits. It would be different if all my kids were out on their own and making their own way, but some are still at home and relying on us.

#46 ·
Come back! You know you wanna. We have some really good health systems here Mayo Clinic (where I worked for several years), Banner, Abrazo... so you should look into interviewing and accepting a job here first, THEN give your current employer notice. Never just jump ship. Unemployment is at an all-time historical low here now... below 7%. Of course, I know that kids add a whole other dimension that you have to consider.

#50 · (Edited)
40 hours a week. I work four 10 hour days a week. That means every weekend is a three day weekend. Monday - Thursday. Decent benefits, no sick days though. If I call in sick, I don't get paid that day. It's a pretty decent gig, next year will be 14 years for me so that means I get 5 weeks paid vacation annually. When you count in stat holidays and floater holidays (which can be used anytime) and supplemental vacation days, that brings me up to 9 weeks off. There's also a good pension.
I'm not counting 52 Friday's off as well.

I don't do much overtime at all. It just doesn't interest me. I do teach guitar 2 nights a week (Tuesday and Wednesday evening) 8 students, 1/2 hour weekly lessons. On top of that I own and run a small sound & light production company, along with DJ'ing weddings etc. (Don't laugh, $900 is my minimum per gig) and I play in a wedding/private party/event band.

Between all that I'm making just into 6 figures. But holy crap it's tiring. Sounds like a lot of money but housing is expensive here along with groceries, gas etc.

#51 ·
A normal week - 45, fairly boring in a warehouse complex for an online retailer. if it's real quiet maybe i can let people sneak out alittle early & get gone myself for 40-ish hrs. Around the silly season / any sudden sales increases, it'll be 50+, sometimes 60. But compared to the hours i worked in catering when i was younger, it's a breeze. after suffering 7 day / 100 hr weeks in a stuffy little kitchen with no air con, i have no objections to occasional OT requests :D

#55 ·
Just finished a 71 hour week,was covering for someone and half of my time will be paid time and a half,= a decent ibanez prestige for a heavy overtime week :)
normal week for me is about 44 hours,7 of which is overtime that can't be avoided.
I work as an engineer in public water treatment/sampling.
I like to think of my wages in multiples or fractions of guitars - jems and universes that I can't buy as I have a family and all that entails ^^

#56 ·
Im a nighttime baker working 35 hours a week. I have another job working as a window washer in the mornings (houses not cars haha), so that's another 20-25 hours a week. And for my PASSION I am interning at a recording studio doing another 10 hours currently. soooo... 70 hours at the MOST. Hopefully getting one job to replace both of previous ones and then interning more. Goddamn I want to be an audio engineer... gotta pay my dues first eh?

#58 ·
Four-10 hour days Monday-Thursday, then 3 or 4 hours on Friday.
The doctors office is closed on Friday, but I go in to take appointments, make sure the weekly paperwork/data-entry is finished and so on.
So.... 40 to 45 hours a week. Pretty average, I guess. :D
My lunches and breaks are paid, so technically hack off about 4 hours a week, but sometimes I eat lunch in the office and just work through it, so it's hard to say for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.