Ibanez JEM Forum banner

How many hours a week do you work?

8K views 62 replies 46 participants last post by  Spiralkeeps 
#1 ·
Just curious? I was talking to a friend and she seemed really distressed that she had to work 60 hours. I usually do 80-100 depend on what needs to be done but I really really love what I do. Sometimes it sucks but it's very rewarding emotionally.

#6 ·
which is how it should be...I think it's a north american thing where people think they have to work 50 - 60 hours per week or more...it's a sad mentality - whoever stays the longest gets promoted first...it's insane

Before i got laid off I was doing an average of about 45 - 50 hours a week as a staff accountant in food manufacturing.

Now I work about 50-60 hours a week on guitar projects in between looking for a new job :p
You should just go into business for yourself doing guitar work...then you can work at what you love...from what I've seen it looks like you have the talent to do it

#4 ·
I don't go to an office, so it's hard to quantify how many hours I work. I usually make myself available for work from 8-5 Monday thru Friday, but very often I don't work that entire time, then sometimes I work before or after that time (usually after). I'd guess that I put in 30 something hours a week.

#7 ·
Oh and my average work day is about 9 hours at the office so 45 hours per week...but I also have part time jobs doing outdoor programs (sea kayaking and hiking) so some weeks I will work 6 or 7 days if I'm at the office all week and then teaching kayaking courses or leading hikes on the weekends...the outdoor stuff is way more fun but I wouldn't be able to make enough money at it to pay my mortgage...it basically just provides extra money for outdoor gear and guitar stuff =)

#13 ·
Does school count?
I work 28 hours a week at the office, and put in God knows how many hours with classes and study... I get about 6 hours sleep, if I'm lucky and the rest of the time is work:classes:study.
Even Sunday, I have to go to church then spend the rest of the day studying... and/or cleaning house, and/or whatever. I had nothing but time when I left Wal-Mart, now I have no time at all. :p

#16 ·
I'm working two jobs as well. Since this ridiculously long, cold, too snowy weather still has it's grips on us, I'm only getting 15 hrs a week as a contractor. Fortunately I have a bartending job on the weekends that helps. Right now I'm only working 25-30 hrs/wk between both jobs. If this weather ever breaks, I'll be back up to 65+...........

#17 ·
i am working 45-60 but am away from home frequently. I dont enjoy my job much and am looking for another.

I was in the Army for 3 years and hated it majority of the time. Just about every day was 14 hours or more and i deployed for 9 months. I know some dudes had 15 month tours. Either way i was miserable. If i would have stayed in my wife and I would be divorced and i would have been demoted for sure because i would have eventually come unglued and told the wrong person just how i feel about them.

Life is too short to hate what you do.

I just want to wake up and not hate going to work. I'd really like something i could take pride in or something i simply enjoyed.

#18 ·
I average 42 of late (40 this week, the weather is getting nice!). I work for a super large large corporation that has been laying people off and "de-badging"(converting full time people to contract so they save $$ by eliminating benefits to please the shareholders). So lets say, I am looking elsewhere and my "givea****ter" is malfunctioning.

#21 ·
45 at my last gig. 40 at my current one. Those numbers go up when big projects are due but no biggie.
I'm also an aspiring novelist so while that is a labor of love it IS a lot of work. I usually do that at night when everyone's asleep... when I'm not playing guitar.

#24 ·
I average 60 per week, on good weeks. Bad weeks have pushed 140hrs....

I don't think it's healthy, and I don't particularly like my job at this point, but it pays the bills and supports a large family. It also protects our nation, so I can handle it, but not matter how well they pay me, I never factor my hours into my salary for morale's sake....

#26 ·
I average 60 per week, on good weeks. Bad weeks have pushed 140hrs....

I don't think it's healthy, and I don't particularly like my job at this point, but it pays the bills and supports a large family. It also protects our nation, so I can handle it, but not matter how well they pay me, I never factor my hours into my salary for morale's sake....
are with the 101st? I was at fort campbell and absolutely hated it. Clarksville sucked too. Nashville on the other hand was great. I miss the city but hated to freaking traffic.

#28 ·
I never worked in my life, since I was 17 I'm playing in cover bands, recording in my studio or for other studios = having fun.
I used to give scuba diving and skydiving classes 10 years ago but as I love doing that stuff, I was just having fun too.
I never had a boss, music brought me awesome friends and let me travel to amazing places in South America.
I rather die than having to work caged in an office or something or having to work with people I don't like.
Life is too short, I rather live mine doing what I love, better than wake up someday with a terminal disease and realize my life was crap and most of the time I was doing things I didn't like.
I can't make good money playing in cover bands but I can live with comfort and the most important thing is I'm free to do whatever I want, that's why I love and respect music so much.

#31 · (Edited)
When things are humming along, 45-50hrs per week. In the 1-2 months preceding a big software release, it usually jumps to 60-70 and stays that way till the release happens.

Despite loving my career (software/design), I detest spending excessive time at work, because I get little fulfillment from it. So, those 60-70hr workweeks take a serious physical and emotional toll on me. I can totally sympathize with your friend.

I'd much rather "work" less and be able to live solely on passive income generated from investments and whatnot. Still working on that last part :D

#35 · (Edited)
lol. Yep.

Let's put all the numbers down. In order to be properly healthy you should get on average 49 hours of sleep in that same week.

So, that's 119 hours left.

Should be taking 2 hours a day at most for all your meals/wind down time. Which leaves 105 hours.

Then 1-2 hours exercise a day (so we don't die too early :p), 91 hours left.

4 hours a day for guitar or other miscellaneous hobbies. 63 hours left in the week.

Average commute for a lot of people would be 2 hours a day. 49 hours left.

For those that work a reasonable working week of 37.5 hours, that leaves 11.5 hours (30mins off a full day) to do other things like clean, spend time with family and significant other, etc.

...and this is why we should aim to do what we love as opposed to what will make us the most money. IMO if one hate's their job, there is no point in living, because they'd be hating the majority of the time they have on this Earth.

heh... being able to work no more than 37.5 hours a week would be sweet.

p.s. Typed this out in between emails and meetings. Maths might be off, lol. Don't have time to check :p.

#38 ·
I'm 16 and I start working this summer. I'm afraid that once I start, I'll be stuck in the working world and I'll have no time left to play guitar. I probably won't work that much a week becasue I'm still in school but to be completely honest I'm scared to death of entering the working world. There's hardly any passion involved in making coffee :D

Even though really the only reason I want to work is to earn more money for guitar stuff, I literally have no desire for anything else

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.