<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 AM

How many of you know a real life Rain Man?

I just saw the movie Rain Man again somewhat recently and was astounded.

Based on a man with autism, the movie actually exaggerates the real man's (Kim Peek) inability to cope but has captured some of the real life quirks and brain's focus too much on intellectual and not so much on day to day living and common sense.

I have a friend, PhD and in computer science, who has that incredible memory and attention to detail (he can program complex stuff in just 0s and 1s) and it fascinates me to no end.

Another man I saw today walking around market at really specific time, who I originally mistook for someone with down's syndrome with thick neck and mongoloid features (also common with many asperger's and autistic people), literally knows every song hit from the 1980s as it pertains to Billboard and many other tunes from the 50s, 60s, and 70s. He's a little more disabled in that he can't or shouldn't drive but in another level of intelligence up from my PhD friend.

An '80s Berlin song comes on, and instantly with about five or six notes, he mentions band, song title, highest number on charts, and month and day of that event. It just kills me to no end and he's far more accurate and quick than Google. When I think of a guitar tune I want to mention here but can't quite remember enough to Google it, I should hum a few notes to this guy and I bet he could get it, with all stats, on the fly.

Do you guys/gals know anybody like that?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:37 PM

Re: How many of you know a real life Rain Man?

I know someone who is autistic to the point that he can't even form a sentence properly, but he seems to have absolute pitch since he can name any note I play for him. Not a Rain Man like ability for sure, but seemed interesting enough to mention.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:13 PM

Reviews: 11

I'm fairly certain (may be wrong) but autism, among other similar conditions, seems to unlock and expand some parts of the brain. A great number of cevants are autistic.

I once saw a show about an autistic cevant who was a pianist. He was also blind I believe. He could listen to a song once, then play it note for note perfectly, and then NEVER forgot the song.....he knew tens of thousands of songs by pure memory.

Truly amazing to see how the brain works. Just because you can't feel or express emotion in a certain way doesn't make you "disabled". It's almost like to make up for those lack of mental skills, they are exceptionally intelligent and/or have spectacular muscle memory.

I wish science would pursue this matter further so we can further know how that sort of phenomena happen.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 PM

I will just have to say, without going into too much detail, that for my friends who have had autism, life would be easier had they not had it.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 01-13-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:58 PM

Reviews: 1

Don't let this thread turn into anything resembling political and remember, medical opinions are best issued by those with medical degrees.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM
(a)

I forget the exact numbers but we only use something like 10% of our brain. Imagine what capabilities are locked in there. It is astounding what people are able to do that I could only fathom.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
I forget the exact numbers but we only use something like 10% of our brain. Imagine what capabilities are locked in there. It is astounding what people are able to do that I could only fathom.
Sorry to ruin any hope there, but the 10% of our brain thing is a long ago debunked rumor. PET's and MRI's have shown that much much more than 10% of the brain is used at a time and throughout a day you surely use all of your brain.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

I know Andrew and his fury.
His swirls are damn furious!

A friend of mine is able to memorize how many phone numbers and addresses people could tell him during the whole day.The curious thing is he only does that with phone nimbers and addresses, no other numbers.He never had to write down a phone number or an address, damn I hate him
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 AM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxopwn View Post
Sorry to ruin any hope there, but the 10% of our brain thing is a long ago debunked rumor. PET's and MRI's have shown that much much more than 10% of the brain is used at a time and throughout a day you surely use all of your brain.
Dangit!!! Time to return the DIY brain surgery kit!! Was hoping to find those areas.

Thanks for the knowledge. Didnt know it was a myth.

Last edited by satchmo72; 01-14-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Dangit!!! Time to return the DIY brain surgery kit!! Was hoping to find those areas.
But what if the people who were studying the brains activity were only using 10% of their brains, and they aren't accurate studies?
Don't give up your dreams Jeff, and let me know how the DIY lot works out maybe you'll be able to play guitar with your mind.........
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 AM
(a)

LOL Screw guitar. Chicks are going to want me and not even know why when I find that telepathy part of my brain.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
LOL Screw guitar. Chicks are going to want me and not even know why when I find that telepathy part of my brain.
That's like that Mel Gibson movie what a girl wants hahaha

Idk if I'd want that ability..........there are some things I just wouldn't want to know lmao

Show/Hide Posting Rules