Job applications - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Job applications

I get it... we're information starved. Most cities in the US have unemployment rates north of 10% and employers think that if they have a ton of info they'll hire the right person. However, applying for jobs has gotten rather absurd.

I've been looking for something new lately and it's daunting just how lengthy some application processes are, even for entry-level positions.

Some examples:
- I interviewed 4 times with a company for a trade show coordinator. An entry-level position. The interview included personality studies and panel discussion. It was a small company with maybe 4 people in the marketing department. So whoever got the job would NOT have been a long-term solution simply because there was no room for them to advance.

- I applied for a basic graphic design job that required you provide 10 years of employment history! For me that'd include crummy part-time jobs I held in high school.

- Virtually every company wants the name of your previous manager along with their phone #. These are the same companies that will not give employment references for their own ex-employees.

- I've applied for numerous project management gigs where the recruiter/interviewer wanted detailed information regarding previous projects I've overseen. They seem surprised/offended when you explain that many of the details they ask for are proprietary/confidential.

All this time/effort and still, the majority of hiring decisions are based on gut feeling. Some of my favorite companies have something along the lines of a place to submit your resume/cover letter and then a question or two asking what you know about the company and why you want to work there. I think you can learn a ton more about a candidate from those two questions than anything else.

Sorry, had to vent my frustration somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:45 PM

Re: Job applications

sorry man, i know it's bad out there. i saw the same type of stuff. it's ridiculous and insulting.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:50 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

the biggest problem right now Jay is that the people HIRING you are risking losing THEIR JOB TO THE PERSON THEY HIRE.

You are overqualified for an "entry level position".

You want to let a big fish in your pond if you're the gate-keeping little fish? This is why you need to be a good people-person (schmoozer) to some degree to get hired if you're competing on a level playing field. That gets the guard down for the person that is interviewing you & hiring you.

But really, keep looking... GOOD LUCK! ...glen
jemsite is online  
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3

Glen - you're exactly right. I've seen a lot of situations with friends/co-workers being hired for positions they are vastly over-qualified for. That person will either leave for greener pastures as soon as they are spotted or will be a valuable asset when the company lays off the tenured staff. Being employed these days is potentially more frightening than being unemployed.

I'm not really beat down by the process or anything, just frustrated with the absurdity. I had a temp position terminate far earlier than expected so I'm in a tough spot looking for a job for a 5 month period. Moving to Austin after our current lease expires. Would go sooner, but it's impossible to rent/sublet in the winter here.

Tags
job applications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

borrowing software applications you dont own

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode