<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 AM

Reviews: 3

Legal alternatives to Napster - for Mac

Was a Napster To Go subscriber, which lets you download DRM-infested music on an unlimited basis for a flat monthly rate.

However, Napster doesn't do this for Mac, which I'm on now.

Any alternatives that people are using? For logical reasons, only mention legal choices... I'd almost prefer to pay a monthly fee and not have to deal with the hassle of mis-named CDs, spyware, incomplete files, poor quality, etc that you get with the illegal options.

I download a TON of music every month, new and old - but mostly rock stuff from indie labels. So I need to find a service that has more than just the top 40 stuff and a pay-per-download will bankrupt me.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:40 AM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

Re: Legal alternatives to Napster - for Mac

mac

does zune market support mac?

http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/zunepass/default.htm

... glen
Old 09-21-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
mac

... glen
I really wanted more excuses to be seen walking into the Apple store.

That and endless compatibility issues between Windows and Pro Tools... but that's for another thread.

Quote:
does zune market support mac?

http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/zunepass/default.htm

... glen
Looks like that will work on Mac; don't see anything about needing to own a Zune to use it either. I'll give the trial a spin. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:27 AM

Wasn't there some program called rhapsody or something?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:57 AM

doh - no Mac support for Zune Pass. So Microsoft tries to battle with Apple and take away iPod/iTunes users... but doesn't support Mac.

Might just use BootCamp and keep using Napster that way...
Old 09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
(a)
Administrator

not really surprising... why bother supporting an OS with <5% marketshare where the vast majority are expected to be loyal zombies to iTunes anyways.

Wipe the mac os & install windows 7 ...glen
Old 09-21-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Wipe the mac os & install windows 7 ...glen
And go from 100% Pro Tools support to ZERO compatibility? Errr, no thanks! I'll use Boot Camp to install an XP partition and just boot into that when I need to download from Napster. That piece of the puzzle is the only item on my switch to OSX that there was no Mac-friendly solution for.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:30 PM
(a)
Administrator

which version of (the ineptly programmed) PT are you using? if they don't support win7 their market will further erode.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:26 AM

They'll support Win7, but it's in alpha mode right now. However, once they have support, finding a hardware combination that will yield decent performance on PC is always an adventure. It will be months before the dolts at avid/digidesign come up with hardware setups that will cause minimal bugs with pro tools. I'd rather not wait a year for them to get their act together and stick with what works in the present.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 PM

I use eMusic.com - you probably won't find EVERYTHING you want on there but it's still pretty good, especially for indie stuff.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:37 AM
(a)

napster = bad = virus-infested downloads to your pc. never used it, never will. use a nice legit co. or buy cds and rip them. i have used itunes for the last few years, no issues. solid.

mac - if you're going to use mac, use a mac. if you're going to use pc, use a pc. don't put boot camp on a mac! why have a mac if you're going to run windows on it? too many people i know run into issues doing this. keep the camps separated!

pro tools - i use it exclusively in the studio and it's great! BUT... i have spent MANY HOURS wrestling with the new release of pro tools 8. Avid / Digidesign is VERY BEHIND in compatibility with OS releases, along with various hardware issues and this is what i found...many people have many issues! it's all over their forums!....

pro tools 8 will not work with any 64 bit windows OS. you can forget it! it will not work with quad core processors! it will only work on 32 bit OS, core 2 duo max as far as processors go. i have a fast quad core 6 gig ram machine with vista 64 bit. sure, it installs and looks great, but try launching the app...it freezes about 80% through. i finally gave up and loaded it on my core 2 duo machine with 32 bit vista. works seemlessly now.

this has many users enraged since AVID says they don't have the manpower/engineers to design for 64 bit or even windows7. they are behind and it's killing them.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Reviews: 21

I use amazon.com's MP3 downloads or iTunes for hard-to-find stuff but I still much prefer going into an actual record store (Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, as record stores go these days...). There's something nice about walking around and finding a cool album and physically buying it.
There's usually a trade-off between quality and cost.
You could always go the illegal route but that's outright theft. Between a poor economy and rampant theft I know of MANY everyday folks who are now out of work! Just a little afterschool special message for those who steal.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:09 AM

Shredmaster - Napster is a legit company these days. They have just as disgusting a business model as iTunes (DRM infested downloads), but better selection of music and more wallet-friendly subscription options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I use amazon.com's MP3 downloads or iTunes for hard-to-find stuff but I still much prefer going into an actual record store (Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, as record stores go these days...). There's something nice about walking around and finding a cool album and physically buying it.
There's usually a trade-off between quality and cost.
You could always go the illegal route but that's outright theft. Between a poor economy and rampant theft I know of MANY everyday folks who are now out of work! Just a little afterschool special message for those who steal.
If I go to the record store anymore, I'll buy vinyl as I have a pretty small collection that I'd like to grow with little favorites of mine. Can't buy CDs anymore. I ripped about 1,000 CDs to MP3 and got rid of them all years ago. Don't have the space and even if I did, I wouldn't want an entire room dedicated to CD storage. I miss the artwork and linear notes, but most bands pay little attention to that stuff anymore...
Old 09-24-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
Wasn't there some program called rhapsody or something?
I have rhapsody and love it. It sounds exactly like what you want to. You pay 15 dollars a month and have access to almost everything and the ability to put it on your mp3 player for no extra cost (doesn't work with Ipods or Zunes though). It's still missing a few artists like Paul Gilbert and stuff, but I don't think he's on itunes anyway.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:43 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay ratkowski View Post
Shredmaster - Napster is a legit company these days. ...
that's cool but i will NEVER download from them based on how they were in the past and all the bad press they got back in the day. legit or not, that co. strikes a really bad chord with me. i have spent hours formatting friends' pcs due to what napster brought in. maybe it's not like that now but it's hard not to think about.

You may also search for:

People searched for this, also searched for these:

toneport alternatives?
borrowing software legal

Show/Hide Posting Rules