<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:32 PM
(a)
Vendor

MAIL PROGRAM GURU'S NEEDED

I'm in PC hell right now. PC died last week so I'm in the middle of getting a new one spec'd out and built [taking too long], but I'm working on the laptop till then.

Using Windows Mail on the laptop, corrupted today. I hit reply or create new mail and it just freezes. Running sfc/scannow but not holding out allot of hope.

Installed Outlook [2002] because I had it on my Office disc, but it will not allow me to attach individual signature files the way I can in Outlook Express or Windows Mail, it's only allowing me to choose a single signature that will automatically be added to each email.

I use signature files for the 20 odd information files that get added to replies, like, how to pay through Paypal, instructions for sending me a check, wire transfer, you name it I've had a signature file that saves me hours of repetitive typing. They do not attach but get added to the end of the reply as text.

I need a mail program that will allow me to work this way, or an easy to understand alternative. Doing a reinstall of Windows isn't an option right now.

Mozilla Thunderbird, Opera, what's out there that interfaces like Outlook Express but will allow the use of signatures the way I use them, and import and store 1/2 million filled emails from OE, since OE is no longer supported in Win 7 I have to go to some email program, Windows Mail has been fine and is near identical to OE, but it's a mess right now. I need something to get me through the next week or so [although worse comes to worse I can muddle through until the new PC is done].

Any help or advice greatly appreciated, just remember I am not extremely literate to the jargon, although I can understand most of it.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:22 PM

Re: MAIL PROGRAM GURU'S NEEDED

I'm not really sure how you were able to chose different signatures in OE but could you create a text file and put all the sigs in there and just copy and paste the appropriate one at the end of your email? At least you wouldn't have to type them.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:36 PM
(a)
Vendor

I have an email in my task bar with the complete files I have to copy and paste, but we're talking 100 times a day. I need the ability to insert text into emails by just choosing which out of a drop down like I'm used to. I'm really missing OE right now.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

I'm almost positive that thunderbird allows multiple signatures because they aren't stored IN the program.......they're saved in a separate file on your computer. From what I'm reading, you can select which sig to use almost like an attachment except that it displays as a standard sig.

You can read more about it here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Signatures_%28Thunderbird%29

I'm a big fan of Mozilla in general. I'm using the Waterfox browser now. It was designed expressly for 64-bit Win7. I had trouble the last time I used thunderbird (ver. 9) while trying to access Comcast mail. I don't know who your ISP is, but if it's comcast.......I offer my condolences

Anyway, thunderbird is now on ver. 12. Probably time to give it another go.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 PM
(a)

Just found this.....It's a thunderbird add-on now...........it used to be a part of the program in previous versions.

All the sigs you want in a drop-down menu:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...nature-switch/

Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
(a)
Vendor

Biz mail is through my host [Yahoo] but all personal mail and my ISP is comcast.

From reading that it looks just like Outlook, the signature chosen automatically attaches, I can't just insert any I choose in any given email on the fly.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 PM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Just found this.....It's a thunderbird add-on now...........it used to be a part of the program in previous versions.

All the sigs you want in a drop-down menu:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...nature-switch/
This looks possible if it does allow choosing like OE always did. I'd love to know for sure before I commit to another mail program load. Especially if it has comcast issues.

Waterfox doesn't have the signature ability? I will be on Win7 in the next PC.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This looks possible if it does allow choosing like OE always did. I'd love to know for sure before I commit to another mail program load. Especially if it has comcast issues.

Waterfox doesn't have the signature ability? I will be on Win7 in the next PC.
Waterfox (or any other mozilla browsers) don't have an imbedded e-mail program. That's why the have TB. I'm installing TB now, I can't imagine that the issues they had 3 years ago are still present. I'll let you know.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

Outlook 2010. Forget thunderbird. You should consider buying a microsoft hosted exchange account $6/mo for robust cloud email and web/outlook access
Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Outlook 2010. Forget thunderbird. You should consider buying a microsoft hosted exchange account $6/mo for robust cloud email and web/outlook access
Why would you "forget" T-bird?? Does it have problems or is it missing features I don't know about??

Old 04-26-2012, 10:19 PM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

tbird is ancient flat file email system slow and klunky, lame exchange support, no hotmail push support or phonebook sync to phones, etc. That shipped sailed 5 years ago with Firefox 2 not worth free...glen
Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 PM
(a)

Not that I understood any of that.....

What your saying is that it's archaic???

I just installed v.12 with the "signature switch" add-on. The multiple sigs DO work....setup was a PITA though.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 PM
(a)
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Does 2010 have the multiple signatures I can insert at random like OE did?

The cloud base does sound interesting, no huge database of saved emails, about 15gig worth, is the interface a web based version of outlook?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Does 2010 have the multiple signatures I can insert at random like OE did?

The cloud base does sound interesting, no huge database of saved emails, about 15gig worth, is the interface a web based version of outlook?
The cloud is amazing from all that I've read and definitely worth the yearly investment for someone in your position........not so much a home user.

I'm sure Glen can fill you in on any details. I'm kinda (ok, a lot) dumb when it comes to this stuff.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:52 PM
(a)
Vendor

I'm past dumb, but I appreciate that Mozilla supports the sigs like I need. You tested and it works like I'm used to?

I'm reading through current Outlook but this version I'm on now does not support inserting signatures like Windows mail and OE, which is my entire problem. Although I love the idea of the cloud and not having to worry about the backup of all that data every night, until the cloud crashes someday!!

Tags
email

Show/Hide Posting Rules