Ibanez JEM Forum banner

My life changing experience....

6K views 69 replies 44 participants last post by  jb4674 
#1 · (Edited)
So Thursday (November 29th), I get a call at work from my wife, who tells me that she's been told that she is to be induced. While we were both aware that it wouldn't go past Friday when Holly would be induced, Thursday was certainly a shocker because the things we wanted to get prepared for had to be put on hold.

My wife had a great pregnancy up until a couple of months ago. Her blood pressure started to rise and she eventualy got put on medication for high blood pressure and put on bed rest. With those issues came the swelling and water weight associated with symptoms of preclamsya (forgive me if my spelling is incorrect).

When I got to the hospital, I thought to myself "well, she'll probably get her drugs and we'll be parents by dinner time" (this was at 1pm). Thursday came and I remained at Holly's side all night long, sleeping on a little couch and tending to her needs like getting her cold towels and putting them on her forehead because the magnesium sulfate was giving her headaches. At 10pm on Thursday, the doctors cut off her dose of pitocin because it was not doing much.

The next day, at 10:30, the doctors put her back on pitocin and set a cutoff timeframe in which, they would look into "other options" (the possibility of a c-section was always kept in the back burner).

At 4:30 pm on Friday (Nov. 30), the doctor had a "strategy talk" with me and basically advised me that the best course of action would be to do the c-section because the baby was not "dropping" as they were hoping to.

Despite a few issues with her epidural injection, she was finally on her way to the operating room and at 6:01pm, our son was born.

We are both so happy that he's here that, at times, we feel in disbelief that he's here.

Alexander William was born 2,5 weeks ahead of his scheduled birth, which would have been December 16th. He was 5 pounds, 10 ounces. Although he's not a premie, he's not full term either. Thankfully, he wasn't required to stay at the hospital because he's fully developed, and did not have any risks.

I thought I'd share my life-changing experience with my Jemsite family. So, without further ado, here are some pictures:

All the pics were shot with my new Canon EOS 40D with an ISO setting of 800.

Jimmy:smile:

See less See more
#33 ·
Jimmy, congrats to you. One thing must be said though, that I've noticed a LOT of screw up stories now more than ever regarding Pitocin and Epidural administration. What issues did y'all experience?

You're baby looks gorgeous. He's a perfect mix of the two of you :) God bless y'all.

#34 ·
Thanks BigShred!

To respond to your question, here's what happened...

When the decision to get Holly prepped for surgery was reached, the "anestesiologist" came in and asked me to leave the room (this raised an alarm inside). This guy asked Holly to sit up straight, turn around to have her back face to him and curl her back. Now, mind you, she's carrying a baby and is in a lot of pain, so why in sam's name would you ask someone to do that?

He apparently attempted to inject the epidural in her twice and because he couldn't get it done, he claimed that she was being non-cooperative. Because of this, Holly's blood pressure dropped so bad that she was about to faint. Finally, holly told the nurse that she didn't want him in the room and that a real doctor should come in and do it. I was so pissed and that I wanted to beat him up so badly. On a side note, I found out that the sit-up method is taught in school but doctors prefer to have the patient lay down and arch their backs because it's effortless that way.

After this dude left, a real doctor came in and he explained to Holly what he was going to do step-by-step. He was so nice that he encouraged me to stay and he was telling he what she was going to feel, etc. He had her laying down, and arching her back a bit while she was laying down and he made it look so effortless that you'd think the average person could do this. The epidural was in and from that point on, everything went fine.

#35 ·
When the decision to get Holly prepped for surgery was reached, the "anestesiologist" came in and asked me to leave the room (this raised an alarm inside).
And rightfully so! He had no right to ask you to leave the room, nor did you have to. It was your first baby so I understand you'd just want to be cooperative. After all, we put so much trust in these loons that infect our health care system.

He apparently attempted to inject the epidural in her twice and because he couldn't get it done, he claimed that she was being non-cooperative.
That's total garbage and if his superiors know about that he will either get seriously reprimanded or maybe even lose his job. You don't jab around on a woman's back to do an epidural.

Because of this, Holly's blood pressure dropped so bad that she was about to faint. Finally, holly told the nurse that she didn't want him in the room and that a real doctor should come in and do it. I was so pissed and that I wanted to beat him up so badly.
I want to beat him up so I can imagine how YOU feel!

After this dude left, a real doctor came in and he explained to Holly what he was going to do step-by-step. He was so nice that he encouraged me to stay and he was telling he what she was going to feel, etc. He had her laying down, and arching her back a bit while she was laying down and he made it look so effortless that you'd think the average person could do this. The epidural was in and from that point on, everything went fine.
You know usually women look beat up after delivery but your wife looks great in that pic. Also, your son's face has so much character.

You should really be proud of both mommy and baby, but I am quite sure that you are :)

#38 ·
Well done , Jimmy! :)

Your story sounds similar to mine except that just before surgery the doctor (the only one who knew what the fk he was doing) decided to try suction my little Sofia out. It worked great! Mum had completely gone numb and was unable to push anymore (she had 4 days of excrutiatng labour and little sleep!) Most stressful time...:sad:

When they handed me my newborn daughter I cried for an hour....even the nurse had to see if I was ok :lol: :roll:

#41 ·
hehe When will you find out who your baby's father is?
Your quite the ass arn't you. You come here and piss on his proudest moment. You have no idea what it is like to create a life and bring it into the world. The only thing you create are stains on your bedsheet.

Now go away and shut up before your really piss off the folks who can really shorten your stay here.

#47 ·
How's he doin' bro? Is it time for an updated pic? ;)

Your wife back to herself yet? The whole experience is a tough one and yours sounded rougher than most. I have two kids and you couldn't be more right about a "priceless experience". I will never forget the emotions of holding my kids for the first time. :)

#50 ·
On to happier news....

Here's an update. Alex has been growing ang growing. Gone are the days when he weighed less than 10lbs. He's 3 months old and he's just one cool little kid. His mommy adores him and everyone in my family bends themselves backwards for him.

Getting to the 3 month mark has been interesting and stressful at times but definitely a learning experience. We've gone from trying 4 different types of baby formula to having to return diapers for the next size up because he's been growing so quickly.

Alex's loves to watch tv and his favorite movies so far are cars and open season. One interesting and cool thing that I've noticed is that he loves to stare at the wall where my guitars are hung. When he looks at my JS1000, he talks to it and laughs! I certainly can't wait for him to grow up more so I can buy him a little guitar of his own!

I've got only one picture of him here at work but I'll post more pics soon.

#54 ·
No such thing as a dumb question Jim! I still wonder how he's got such good looks but, then I look at my baby pictures and it's just like seeing a mirror image, really weird.

There's definitely been some lifestyle changes that have just kinda mde their way into our lives and taken over old ones without us realizing about it. The weekends are different now, in that we like to do more family-oriented things, whereas before we would try to do fun stuff like going to movies, shopping and hanging out with friends.

I definitely looking forward to the spring when we'll be able to take him to the beach and stuff.

Thanks for the update bro!! He is a cute little bugger, looks a little like Winston Churchill ;)

Rent or buy a copy of the Curious George movie, my nephew stops everything when he hears that Jack Johnson song stat playing, it is almost like a qualude for a kid when you put on that movie in the same room as him. He just went over the 1yr mark recently and has been watching that movie since 2-3mos.

Again, big congrats Daddy-O :)

~Bones
Thanks Bones! I'm definitely going to check that movie out and play it for him to see if he gets hooked. It's just amazing how much he talks these days. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts talking earlier than I did (I started at 9 months).

#52 ·
Thanks for the update bro!! He is a cute little bugger, looks a little like Winston Churchill ;)

Rent or buy a copy of the Curious George movie, my nephew stops everything when he hears that Jack Johnson song stat playing, it is almost like a qualude for a kid when you put on that movie in the same room as him. He just went over the 1yr mark recently and has been watching that movie since 2-3mos.

Again, big congrats Daddy-O :)

~Bones

#57 ·
Believe it or not, he's been sleeping in his own room for the last month or month & a half. We found out one day that he likes to sleep on his belly. Although we were kind of worried about it, we ventured to the baby store, bought a monitor and put him to sleep on his belly one night (after having tested it for a nap many times before). He slept the entire night and has been doing it ever since. Ever since he was at least a month old (and prior to him sleeping on his belly), he learned how to turn his head side to side on his own. It's kind of nice, since I have a friend whose daughter is 3 yrs old and refuses to sleep in her room b/c she slept on her parent's bed since she was born (that was definitely something both Holly and I said "hell no" to :wink:).

One other cool thing is that he's def. a daddy's boy. 3 nights ago, Holly wanted to give him his last bottle for the night and put him to bed. So, when she finished feeding him, she put him in his crib and he wouldn't want to go to sleep. I had noticed that it takes him about 5 minutes or so to fall asleep once he's done with his bottle, so I told Holly "just feed him, burp him and then lay him on the crib and he'll fall asleep before you know it". I was standing in his room while she was doing it to let her know what was to come and what he liked and so forth. Whe he started to fuss continuosly, I decided to pick him up and he started telling me in his own way basically how he wanted me to put him to sleep, it was hillarious! At this point, Holly went to fix a bottle, brought it upstairs and went back downstairs to watch some tv a bit. I picked him up, fed him 2 more ounces (he had 7 ounces prior to me giving him an extra 2, mind you), he started talking to me and then 5 minutes later, he fell asleep.

I walked downstairs, and Holly was in disbelief :lol:

#59 ·
That is great he is already sleeping in his own room, that'll make life a little easier on the both of you and your personal time and space.

You need to find a swirled onesie, tye-dyed with a Jem logo will suffice, although he might outgrow it before you get it home from the store ;) :)

Take lots of pics and video, these moments are gone before you know it. :)

~Bones

#60 ·
truth be told after the simple logistics of a newborn in your life, babies are often relatively "easy" the first 6 months. it's after that where all hell breaks loose for a long, long time. once the little guy crawls out of his crib he might want to get in bed with you and that can last a while. you might even enjoy it more than him but either way get some rest now. :) ...glen

#61 ·
Glen, you definintely nailed the resting thing. I can definintely feel the impacts of the lack of sleep. It's just amazing how caring for a little one can diminish the amount of hours you're used to sleeping.

Holly and I are definitely trying to get back to our old work schedules but, these days our attitude is more like the "I'll get there when I get there" type of attitude. I've been showing up at work sometimes 1-2 hours late and my boss doesnt even care because he knows how it is. Parenting is an interesting thing :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.