Ibanez JEM Forum banner

My life changing experience....

6K views 69 replies 44 participants last post by  jb4674 
#1 · (Edited)
So Thursday (November 29th), I get a call at work from my wife, who tells me that she's been told that she is to be induced. While we were both aware that it wouldn't go past Friday when Holly would be induced, Thursday was certainly a shocker because the things we wanted to get prepared for had to be put on hold.

My wife had a great pregnancy up until a couple of months ago. Her blood pressure started to rise and she eventualy got put on medication for high blood pressure and put on bed rest. With those issues came the swelling and water weight associated with symptoms of preclamsya (forgive me if my spelling is incorrect).

When I got to the hospital, I thought to myself "well, she'll probably get her drugs and we'll be parents by dinner time" (this was at 1pm). Thursday came and I remained at Holly's side all night long, sleeping on a little couch and tending to her needs like getting her cold towels and putting them on her forehead because the magnesium sulfate was giving her headaches. At 10pm on Thursday, the doctors cut off her dose of pitocin because it was not doing much.

The next day, at 10:30, the doctors put her back on pitocin and set a cutoff timeframe in which, they would look into "other options" (the possibility of a c-section was always kept in the back burner).

At 4:30 pm on Friday (Nov. 30), the doctor had a "strategy talk" with me and basically advised me that the best course of action would be to do the c-section because the baby was not "dropping" as they were hoping to.

Despite a few issues with her epidural injection, she was finally on her way to the operating room and at 6:01pm, our son was born.

We are both so happy that he's here that, at times, we feel in disbelief that he's here.

Alexander William was born 2,5 weeks ahead of his scheduled birth, which would have been December 16th. He was 5 pounds, 10 ounces. Although he's not a premie, he's not full term either. Thankfully, he wasn't required to stay at the hospital because he's fully developed, and did not have any risks.

I thought I'd share my life-changing experience with my Jemsite family. So, without further ado, here are some pictures:

All the pics were shot with my new Canon EOS 40D with an ISO setting of 800.

Jimmy:smile:

See less See more
#8 ·
AWESOME Jimmy and congrats:)

Glad everything worked out well (sounds like quite the scare)

BTW - you look exactly the opposite of what I had envisioned you looking like. Take that as you will:lol:

Congrats again my friend!!!

Here's to having kids, sleepless nights, grouchy spouses, funky smells, mustard fingers.....and...and...and....:D

:lol:

#16 · (Edited)
Congrats jb..... looks like one healthy son you've got there. Thanks for sharing! Hope you're not figuring everything will settle down and get back to "normal", Because the FUN is just starting. :lol: I'm jealous... well, maybe not! But I surely can empathise with you! So much to look forward to! ;) Hope mom's doing OK too!

Oh, and keep that camera close!

#17 ·
Congrats! Your life will definitely NEVER be the same and holds a far greater purpose now.... DAD!!! ;)

#24 ·
Congratulations!!!!!! :)

We had a similar situation with pre-eclampsia but were fortunate to not need a c-section, and were 8 days from the due date. I'll never forget wheeling my son around the maternity ward that evening (while my partner got some much needed rest) just watching him peacefully open his eyes then drift back to sleep.

Now he's almost 15 months old and he's an unstoppable cat-tail-pullin', Jem-strummin', daddy-huggin' dynamo. :D

#25 ·
Thanks guys for all the responses. My wife and I were really happy to read the responses from everyone. Parenthood is definitely a new stage in our lives and one that so far is bringing us lots of joy and lots of new things to learn.

I can't wait to buy him his first guitar and teach him how to play! Maybe once he's a little bigger and sits on his own, I can let him play my chromeboy :lol:

Jimmy:smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.