a good price at my local bike shop.

Now I'm no mountain biker for sure and my first run out today
proved that I can't really ride flat pedals so just headed straight
back to the shop and had them fit me a pair of clipless which are
compatible with my road bike shoes/cleats. The difference is amazing
as my feet kept slipping off the flats due to me being used to being clipped
in on my road bikes.

The Cube feels really heavy in comparison but very well built bike and
will ensure I get through the Winter without losing too much condition.
Just ordered some Knog Frog Strobe lights as well so I can get out for
a blast in the dark evenings.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks!! Yeah, I don't think you need MTB's to be super light anyway, stability counts for
more I'd say.

Very nice set of wheels there Paul!!! I hope you didn't have to sell any of your amazing guitars to afford the bike ;) Makes me wish I could get out for a ride but it's either been pouring rain here or icy and cold - can't win =(
Cheers Ron. Yeah weather not great here either. Starting to get pretty chilly. I've to ride
with latex gloves under my full finger gloves, works a treat. For my feet, sandwich bags on first (lol!!) then socks, then tin foil over socks then into a pair of Sidi shoes. I've overshoes ordered as well which will give some more protection from the elements. You must have some great MTB country where you live.

#9 ·
Congrats on the new bike! Back in the states I rode my touring bike through the winter... and the steel frame shows it! Here in Greenland I'm riding around on a Giant Talon 27.5, and I picked up some really nice DH Shimano Saint pedals for around 60 USD on Amazon. They are super grippy, and I don't find that they are any stiffer than any other pedal even with the DH label, still spin great. I'm curious if you have to worry about the brakes freezing up? I've had to switch to mechanical disc brakes (AVID BB7) here due to the -30F temperatures that pop up every once in a while here.

#13 ·
Usually the temperature hovers around -10C if the winds aren't too bad. I wear normal clothes a beard and some of these Omni-Heat thermals for my legs, but they will make the legs sweat so my recreational riding has cut down a ton. I have a nice Fjallraven Parka, and a Bomber hat which has synthetic rabbit fur in it which is super warm, though another sweat trap. My commute is about 5 miles so it's not to bad. Gloves are the biggest issue, but I have some Columbia Omni-Heat gloves that worked well in the States and have been holding up out here. The only thing with gloves not made for cycling seems to be that they wear and start to fray at the seems around the handgrips.

On the other hand, it's an easier battle than deciding if you want to get drenched in the rain or drenched in sweat in the rain! haha

#15 ·
Congrats on the new bike! Enjoy!!

I almost went with a Cube too. I was looking at their carbon 29er hardtail. I read a few reviews and it seemed a little stout for me. I'm pretty light.

So my wife and I went into a bike shop in Sun Valley Idaho after spending a week in the wilderness in September. I walked in the back door - turned the corner - looked up, and this was sitting on a rack with a price that I couldn't refuse. 5 minutes back into civilization and I'm the owner of a new carbon hardtail 29er. The real deciding factor, besides the price, is that Trek has a lifetime warranty on their frames.

#18 ·
Great pic thanks. Well you look pretty well wrapped up. I still think you're
a braver man than me for riding in those temps.

Man, you're the opposite of me, dude. :lol: I don't really ride offroad anymore, but I used to and as a holdover I still have a pair of Speedplay Frogs on my road bike. :lol: This season I'll be switcing to Speedplay's road pedals, but still...

Are those actually mountain bike pedals that happen to be compatable with road cleats, or did you have them throw a set of road pedals on that? If not, you're going to have a LOT of trouble with mud and dirt, and MTB shoes are (unlike road shoes) designed so that you can walk around in them comfortably, which you WILL be doing here and there if you do any serious offroading.
They are road pedals Drew. I've one pair of Sidi road shoes and my 4 bikes are all Look Keo or Keo compatible so I don't have to bother with changing cleats. I'm primarily a roadie but we have no choice but to ride MTB's here when the weather gets bad. Yeah we do some trails but nothing extreme, our goal is to keep in some kind of condition until the new season starts. You're right though on the shoes, road shoes are a pain to walk in unless you have cleat covers but even then you're still severely limited. I usually only unclip though when I get back home.

#17 ·
Man, you're the opposite of me, dude. :lol: I don't really ride offroad anymore, but I used to and as a holdover I still have a pair of Speedplay Frogs on my road bike. :lol: This season I'll be switcing to Speedplay's road pedals, but still...

Are those actually mountain bike pedals that happen to be compatable with road cleats, or did you have them throw a set of road pedals on that? If not, you're going to have a LOT of trouble with mud and dirt, and MTB shoes are (unlike road shoes) designed so that you can walk around in them comfortably, which you WILL be doing here and there if you do any serious offroading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.