Ibanez JEM Forum banner

No more guitar, maybe. :(

8K views 116 replies 18 participants last post by  Laobi 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm up again, as usual, but tonight it's pain induced. :(
Not looking for sympathy, just bored and wanted to let you guys know, I won't be doing the 'challenge' this month, or any month soon, it seems......
I told Jeff I did NOT want to get on that 4-wheeler, I'm afraid of those things, but he said he'd take it easy, yeah, okay.
A broken arm and two torn (and now stitched) tendons later, I'm sitting here typing with one hand and a cast all the way up to my elbow. :(
It's amazing that they get you in and out pretty fast for 'just' a broken bone though.
Well, if you consider 10 hours 'fast'.
I don't want any 'aww, poor Meechy' posts, okay? :p
It is what it is.
The doctor said the tendons tore pretty bad, and he's not sure how well they will heal, so we won't know until I get this cast off and can move my fingers again. I thought I'd broken my wrist too, it bent back so far I thought it was going to tear my hand off.
So, now, if it doesn't have doors and a roof, I'm not going anywhere near it.
And if his father does end up giving him that motorcycle......well, "Okay honey, I'll follow you in my Sonata." ;)
Off to bed. Took a Percocet and I'm starting to feel it. Night guys.

See less See more
#82 ·
If any of you are young or old enough to have your kids watch spongebob, then you know all about stupid ol' Texas right? ;)

You're not a nerdy girl if you play a 550.

Just stab that bitch with the headstock, she won't give you a hard time anymore. Just make sure it's a road flare red so that it won't stain ;)

#90 ·
If any of you are young or old enough to have your kids watch spongebob, then you know all about stupid ol' Texas right? ;)

You're not a nerdy girl if you play a 550.

Just stab that bitch with the headstock, she won't give you a hard time anymore. Just make sure it's a road flare red so that it won't stain ;)
LOL. Well; murder isn't really an option.
And yes, I was always the 'nerdy girl' until I started college. I hooked up with some girls that convinced me I'm pretty enough to flaunt it. LOL
I'm actually still a 'nerdy girl'. Playing video games, went to school for computers science and engineering. Love science, and science fiction.
The Elegant Universe by Brian Green, and it's follow ups are my favorite books.

#85 ·
I weighed in too much on the teasing, so I'd like to weigh in on the apologies too. I sincerely apologise for any offense taken as it was not my intention, however, I judge myself and others on the results, not intentions, so I am sorry.

Wilch mentioned how teasing among friends and acquaintances in his country can be quite robust, it's much the same here, but I should have kept sight of the fact that in conversations conducted entirely by text it is often difficult to see at what point something is getting a bit old and at what point good natured teasing becomes a button that should not be pushed again.

Lone correctly mentioned the line, everyone's line is in a different place and I being a total schoolboy at heart my line is somewhere over the horizon. All of our lines move around depending on how we are feeling, so it is good for everyone to create a little distance and formality.

Anyway, again the last thing I and I am quite sure anyone here wanted to do was piss you off or make you feel uncomfortable in any way. I keep conversations gender neutral and treat everyone the same, for all I know you could be a 200kg hairy Peruvian llama wrestling champion and Rich could be a very hot 28 year old brunette, so never make assumptions.

To sign off, I think I am the only one here who has a handle which precisely means something of the nether area, no euphemism required.

Anyway good luck with the healing process, don't take the pills any longer than you need to and as the injuries are mainly ligamental it is best to wait until the swelling has gone down before attempting any exercise, your doctor will advise you best.

#87 ·
I'm going to type a few direct responses, but I wanted to get this up quickly.
Thanks for all the apologies guys, I do appreciate them. I wasn't as 'hurt' as I may have come across. Just as annoyed as hurt. :)
I'll say it again; it's all guuuuuud. It ran its course and I'm sure some other time it will come up again, just please, not on a thread where I talk about what is a traumatic, but luckily (hopefully) not a disabling event in my life. :D
Or for that matter, on any thread, for any member, who is obviously hurting over something. We're all friends here, and I think a little sensitivity isn't beyond any of us.
Well, 6fingers, but he's gone now. :p (too much?)

#92 ·
Uh oh, those are the ones [pinky and ring] that turned me into a collector [then dealer] instead of player. Boy scout came up behind me and about ripped those 2 out of the socket [one that was being raised "new age" with NO DISCIPLINE!!]. They were never the same, and I didn't touch a guitar for almost a year. I had no snap in the pinky for 10 years. Lately it feels much stronger but I just have too many other interests and guitar "playing' is in the back of the bus. Hopefully you'll have a different outcome.

#96 ·
Ouch, I'm sorry Rich. That's awful.
I'll learn to play with two fingers if I have to. I'm so in love with it now.
:)
Once when I was really young (I don't really remember it) I had my pinky on my right hand dislocated at the second knuckle. It's the only finger that, if I move it the right way, will lock into to straight line and I have to snap it back with my other hand.

#101 ·
I have a chronic "can't gauge situations" problem with messageboards. I can't tell tone or mood because it's words on a screen and often times I only skim responses. So I wasn't watching out for any warnings because generally you seem like TE kind of person to joke around all the time about anything, you never seemed to mind with other threads.

Murders always an option ;)

#102 ·
Some teasing and innuendo is fine, fun and welcomed. But when it starts turning into what this turned into, it was too much. It's my name. And I think, perhaps, part of why it hurt so much is I did get teased a bit when I was a kid. Being small for my age (or any age) names like 'Smelly Shelly' weren't uncommon. Plus others, and 'Meech the Geech' sticks in my mind, although it made no sense, in a 6 year old's brain, it hurts, and it kind of sticks with you a bit.
When I, or anyone else, is cool with something they'll usually 'LOL' or :) or ;), even when they are 'protesting'.
When I posted right after the 'West Vagina' comment, I stopped winking, laughing or smiling. I even posted one that was nothing but sad, and angry smilies.
Don't worry about it Kyle. It is hard to know how a reaction is actually meant when it's just text. But as Stephen (Phantom) said; it's also on others to know where the line is when simple teasing/joking turns into either bad taste, or just plain hurtful.
Let's not talk about it anymore. My 'Meechy' is off limits, for now, okay? ;)
Murder's always an option, but the potential consequences are a great deterrent. I'm Catholic, and I do believe in Hell, so.......murder is off the table. :)

#103 ·
For the future of if I'm ever actually bothering you it might be easier to just say it, like I just come out and tell Drew I hate him (even though it is of course a joke ;) ).

I never took you to get bothered by anytbing actually. You were the one who pmed me the link for the ladder thing ;) I figured you were cool with everything.

No more on that though.

#108 ·
Thanks guys. I'm thinking it's just from being in the cast too. He said there was no damage to the nerves when he was 'poking around' in there, but he said if I lose total feeling in my fingers (they are just tingly, really) or if they start to hurt, get to the ER because it could be something serious.
I think I'll be fine though. The fingers are totally immobile and I'm sure not moving for a month and a half can cause some 'discomfort'. ;)
So, how's everyone else doing? :D

#109 ·
So, how's everyone else doing? :D
Not bad... Got my house painted over the weekend, well.. me, my bro-in-law, two of my daughters, one daughter's boyfriend, and my neighbor. Only incident was me riding a 26ft extension ladder down to the ground. In my own defense... there is nothing to jump off of when the ladder goes straight down. Nothing you can do but ride it out. Got a swollen ankle, a gouged shin, and a sore shoulder out of the deal... but I feel pretty lucky. Could have been much worse, as we were only about 2 hours in to a two day job! 14 gallons of Dutch Boy and two coolers of beer later, the job is done and I can get back to playing my guitar here and there... :mrgreen:

#113 ·
Wow, didn't even notice this thread. That sucks :(

At least you're on the road to recovery. Just remember, Yngwie wrapped his car around a tree, almost died, lost mobility in his hand then went crazy on the rehab and went on to write the album Odyssey. You'll play guitar again after you heal up, don't worry :D

#114 ·
Just wanted to update everyone.
It's been hectic with holidays, work and spending time in physical therapy.
The cast came off on Nov. 10th (Happy 25th to me) and while I have almost full mobility back, there's a numbness remaining in my ring and pinkie fingers that makes simple tasks difficult sometimes.
The doctor is afraid he may have missed something, but x-rays and ultrasounds and blah blah blah aren't showing anything.
It's 'better' than it was when the cast first came off, but still; after a month it's a little scary that it's still there so pronounced as it is.
I tried to play a couple of weeks ago, but it was frustrating with the numbness. I simple couldn't feel half of what I was doing, making it difficult, but not impossible.
Thanks everyone for the well-wishes, and we'll just have to see what happens as time goes on.
If we find out that the doctor messed up with the cast (it can happen) and did more damage than was originally there, you bet your sweet tucas I'll be talking to a lawyer. ;)
JK
Sorry again I've not been on. I used to practically live my spare time on here, but it's been busy busy busy.
But your favorite midget-blonde is back, and thinking positive about the future.
I WILL get into the guitar challenge one day soon, even if I have to do it with two fingers. :p

#115 ·
full mobility is a huge plus just ~30 days after the cast came off... hopefully the numbness will lessen over time. Not sure how much experience your dr has with this injury but i'd recommend patience & all the PT your insurance covers (then be an advocate and report this exact wording "i notice improvement each week doing PT" to try to get more PT authorized). Good luck! ... glen

#117 ·
That's good news. Having been injured more times than most, I think your numbness should be temporary. It's more than likely swelling around the nerves which will take time to reduce. Keep up with the physiotherapy and keep doing the exercises. I have had quite a few injuries which were followed by numbness that took 6 weeks to 4 months to fade. The only place I have permanent numbness is the back of my thumbs which was caused by sustained violent impacts to my lower arms and wrists, I think you'll be fine.

If you're really worried, forget about Tony Iommi as a role model, check out Django Reinhardt who only had 2 fingers to play with, or if you're really really worried check out Abu Hamza who became really famous despite having just a hook and one eye. Not sure if the eye injury followed the hand one, but I like to think he had 2 until one got itchy. Wonder if he pays someone to scratch his balls. Oh I don't think he plays guitar, in fact I imagine he hates music, so his story is irrelevant unless you're worried that someone close to you is becoming a dick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.