Ibanez JEM Forum banner

pc problems

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  waylay00 
#1 ·
afternoon all.theres something strange happening to my pc,i have nod32 antivirus system (i run it once a month or so).its telling me theres 2 trojan viruses in my c/documents,when i look in c/documents i cant find these viruses.anyone have any ideas why ??? cheers lads.rob

#11 · (Edited)
I'd definately try to get rid of the virus by this method. I can't remember how to enable this, but if you do a search on the web, you'll find out how.
Once you can see the hidden files, you might be able to delete them. However some of the viruses can be difficult to delete and you may need to do so in safe mode. Again, if you google your particular virus, you may find instructions on how to get rid of it.

I'd also try downloading Spybot Search & Destroy and let that locate and get rid of any viruses you have on your system. It should be free to download.

#12 · (Edited)
Enabling hidden files is easy:

* Open any window
* Go to Tools > Folder Options > View (tab)
* Scroll down a little and you'll see the options.
* Enable viewing of hidden files and folders, AND uncheck the box for hiding protected operating system files.

No disrespect to anyone who made suggestions, but AdAware and many anti virus programs are occasionally useless. My suggestion is to download Hijack This, do a scan and post a log file. We can then go through each item and do a web search on them. It can be time consuming if you have a lot of junk (startup programs, lots of services running, etc) but it's worth it.

Find Hijack This here

And here's lots of other anti spyware tools.

There's nothing wrong with using any of these but don't expect miracles. Another suggestion: Download CCleaner and run it before running any anti-spyware tools. I also recommend a good registry cleaner.

CCleaner
RegSeeker

For CCleaner, install it, but don't click the option to install Yahoo toolbar during the installation process.

For RegSeeker, click "Clean The Registry" button and delete everything it finds. Don't be scared of doing this, it automatically makes a backup.

Run those before running Hijack This.

He has NOD32, it's one of the best along with Kaspersky.

#10 ·
ok lads n lasses,firstly thanks for your advice. ive tried the anti virus that jimmy and chaos advised me to try,no joy although both removed other problems.this is what my nod32 is telling me, see if yous can make head nor tail of this...filec:\documents and settings data\sun\java\deployment\cache\javapi\v1.o\jar zip is infected with java/trojandownloader openstream.nab...anyone familular with this ???.thanks again rob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.