<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Please help me win a new car!

tl:dr

CLICK! VOTE! SHARE! Kthxbye.

--

Hey, guys!

I'm a semi-finalist in a contest to win a new CX-5 from Mazda Canada. They asked for submissions that demonstrate "defying convention" in creating works of creativity, achievement or impact on society. For the first round, i submitted a photo of one of my guitars, and it got voted into the second round of the contest! Now i need as much support as possible to make it into the final judging round, so your votes are much appreciated.

Some of you may know a bit of my backstory, but for those who don't, here's a quick summary of how i got to where i am today:

When i first started playing guitar, i got into it as many teenage boys do, reading guitar magazines, keeping up to date on my favourite bands and guitarists, learning whatever i could. It didn't take me long to realize that i was far more interested in learning about the gear guitarists were using than i was about becoming a better player.

When i was 17, i built my first guitar… and loved it. But i was already on a path to university and a career in architecture, industrial design or graphic design. (I eventually attended York University and got a Fine Arts degree with a specialization in Communication Design, graduating with top honours.) That, combined with no access to a shop, meant my dream of building more guitars would have to wait.

Over the next 20 years, i read everything i could get my hands on and talked to whomever was willing share their knowledge… all while working my "day job" as a graphic designer. Fortunately, the Internet is full of fantastic resources, amateur and semi-pro builders, and many experienced luthiers who so kindly share their processes, their knowledge and their experience. In many ways, it was a 21st century apprenticeship of sorts.

As i voraciously consumed all this research, i continued to apply my design knowledge and experience toward refining designs i started dreaming up back in high school. The guitars you see on my site (Decibel Guitars and Decibel Guitars | Facebook) truly are the product of 20+ year process of design and research & development.

In that R&D phase, i made a commitment to re-thinking and re-evaluating every aspect of guitar building, rather than merely re-hashing designs from the 1940s and 1950s. Don't get me wrong… i have tremendous respect for guys like Leo Fender who designed tremendously innovative instruments that have become true cultural icons. But a lot has changed and evolved in 60+ years, so embracing new methods, materials and technologies has become a cornerstone of my design philosophy for Decibel Guitars.

Everything from the ergonomics of the body shape, to the way the neck is attached, to the way the frets are installed, has been re-evaluated and re-engineered. Many of the changes are subtle and not even visible to the player, but they all make a difference in making a state-of-the-art, high-performance guitar.

I will freely admit that i still have a TON to learn, and my skills are continuing to improve. But i will continue to Defy Convention every step of the way. I've got a head full of ideas i can't wait to explore! Decibel Guitars still isn't a full-time venture, but i already have a waiting list, and i'm building as fast as i can while still working as a designer.

Winning the CX-5 would mean a great deal. It would give me a lot more room to carry tools, wood and guitars, and the money saved on replacing my current vehicle will go into acquiring more shop equipment that will help propel my dream further forward.

I think my guitars Defy Convention, and reflect the spirit of innovation and unconventional thinking that has defined Mazda's success since its beginning.

If you agree, please vote for my entry in Mazda Canada's "Defy Convention" contest, and share my story and this link with your friends. I need as many votes as possible by May 20 in order to qualify for the final round of judging.

Thanks for your support!

darren w. - Defy Convention
Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Re: Please help me win a new car!

Gasp! Strange how I know about your guitars, but didn't know you made them... Bad research on me! Anyway, I gave you my vote.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:45 PM

Thanks, dude!

I haven't posted much here lately, so chances are my whole Decibel venture is somewhat unknown 'round these parts.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:47 PM

We got a certain mutual friend on Facebook. He likes to spread words about good stuff. You have probably seen his retirement home on wheels, and its gas tank...
Old 05-07-2012, 05:48 PM

LOL... oh, yes... the mutual friend whose name must not be uttered on Jemsite.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 AM

Still in #6.

http://on.fb.me/HvXQCc
Old 05-08-2012, 08:15 PM
(a)

Reviews: 2

My vote is in!!!

Best of luck Darren!!!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 PM

Thanks, dude!

Let's keep going!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 PM
(a)
Classified Watchdog

Help a brother out!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
Help a brother out!
^ What he said.

Actually, if you want to check out my entry first, take a look at it here on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIy5BIUJzmo

Then if you like it, please vote for it! http://on.fb.me/HvXQCc

Thanks!

d.

Last edited by darren wilson; 05-09-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 AM
(a)

Done and good luck ! keep up the good work . I studied design myself at York in the UK

Al.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:47 AM

Ah, yes... the "real" University of York.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 AM
(a)
Administrator

Reviews: 1

Done & good luck.

Darren is a good guy, VOTE FOR HIM people

...glen
Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 AM

and done
Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 AM

Awesome! Thanks, everybody!

Let's keep the momentum going! 11 more days!

Tags
contest, darren, decibel, mazda

Show/Hide Posting Rules