Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Posture when playing sitting down

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Kyle am I 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

I was just wondering about something while sitting down today to play. We all know that sitting down to play is easier than standing for a number of reasons, but when practicing the main reason I would think is so that you don't get tired as quick (from standing).

A habit I have been in for as long as I have played is to sit in a chair that's low to the ground, with no arms of course, and have one foot propped up on another surface (like the leg of the chair). I tend to hunch over the guitar, with my head down, leaning forward as it is the most comfortable position.

BUT

Has anyone here done any research, or have any articles of any sort, that may show the effects of this slouching on say the spine? I can't imagine sitting for a few hours a day, every week, for years is good? As I am young now I don't know how what I do now might effect my health in a bad way when I'm older.

Anything?

#2 ·
I'm a trained classical guitarist, and we study a lot of posture issues. The main rule is, whathever your position is, you must feel comfortable, and you must take a break periodically, and stretch all your body muscles. Let's say, 5-10 minutes each hour. With this discipline you can go for hours.

#4 ·
I think traditional "classical" posture (if you're a rightie - sitting, fairly upright, left leg on something, guitar sitting on your left thigh, fairly steep guitar angle) is considered the best practice. That said,

1) I tend to rest the guitar on my right leg, both feet flat on the floor - it's just more comfortable for me, though it's probably more of a casual, "rock" playing position, and
2) since almost all of my practice is standing up, that's actually the position that feels the most natural for me - sitting down doesn't feel as natural.

#5 ·
A habit I have been in for as long as I have played is to sit in a chair that's low to the ground, with no arms of course, and have one foot propped up on another surface (like the leg of the chair). I tend to hunch over the guitar, with my head down, leaning forward as it is the most comfortable position.
I would advise you to break the "hunching over the guitar" habit, if possible. I do the same thing as you, except I rest the guitar on my right leg like Drew and usually prop my right foot up on a low desk shelf in from of me. After a few months I started having lower back pain and finally figured out it was due to the slouching and hunching over while playing. I find that if I don't prop my foot up on something it makes me sit up straighter... but I still find myself hunching over out of habit. Makes it easier to see the fretboard while practicing scales and such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.