Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Protect my gear in College

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  newbieguitarmaker 
#1 ·
Hey guys, since I am a junior in HighSchool the big topic is college and I have been wondering, how do I keep my stuff safe in college? If I am to keep my guitar and amp and pc in a dorm how will I know it will be safe?

#6 ·
there are some nice apartments but I have to see if I can afford them, this scholarship will be paying for full tuition for me and I should have other scholarships, so maybe I'll be able to afford it, then I'd probably get some type of security device for them, and maybe like make a motion sensor cam that takes a pic or vid when it senses something so I can catch the bastard. I've made one of those cams for a friend before and they work well if you hide em good

#8 ·
dude

your dammed if u do and ur dammed if u dont

u never know who sees what at ur place, and who says what to others and who they say what to

sounds confusing...let me tell u, i was popular, i partied, and i had great reoommates, not even in the dorms, and my **** still got jacked, and as well known as i was, i never heard a rat fart about my stuff

so really man if u have something u really value, dont bring it, get a el-cheapo at ur local used or consignment shop and sleep better at night

#9 · (Edited)
dude

your dammed if u do and ur dammed if u dont

u never know who sees what at ur place, and who says what to others and who they say what to

sounds confusing...let me tell u, i was popular, i partied, and i had great reoommates, not even in the dorms, and my **** still got jacked, and as well known as i was, i never heard a rat fart about my stuff

so really man if u have something u really value, dont bring it, get a el-cheapo at ur local used or consignment shop and sleep better at night
alright, I like the Tech 21 combo's pretty well and I could deal with a cheapo used like fender strat with a floyd or something, just something that is beat down to crap so no1 thinks they would want it lol, 24 frets and floyd just is were it is at even if I am going cheap lol

edit: or how bout a jackson dinky? even though i would like an ofr on it which would bring up the price >_> , tell me what beater you guys would get, it doesnt have to have 24 frets but a recessed floyd would be best, if not recessed i can make it recessed lol

another edit! (srry) I just had an idea, since I have wanted to learn how to relic a guitar and get better at painting, I could get some fender body and a fender floyd neck, and make a EVH relic for fun and I wouldn't have to worry bout price much since technically if I can beat up a guitar I can have it stolen :lol:

#10 ·
Another use for a monkey grip.... sink an eyebolt into the floor, run a chain through grip and bolt, lock with large padlock.

Steve would be so proud!

The simple answer is 'nothing whatsoever'. Stuff gets pinched everywhere, but put a dorm situation in the mix and the incidence goes up. Take cheap gear only.

#13 ·
Just lock your doors and make it difficult for people to to take your ****. I remember having to wedge my guitar case against my dorm bed and my desk to keep the loft from falling apart since it was a piece of crap. Never had problems. Being a popular guy, people knew what not to do and that was ****ing with my stuff. ;)
Definitely get insurance though. If you find more musicians (that you trust), try to rent a studio for all your gear.

#16 ·
When I was in college, I came back to my dorm room one time, and I found some guy sitting at my desk, playing my guitar. He was a friend of my roomate, and my roomate let him in. He wasn't there to steal anything, but I found it annoying nonetheless.

Buy some off-brand Fender copy and maybe a small Peavey copy amplifier, is my opinion. Keep the good stuff at home.

ANOTHER option, since you've mentioned wanting to make a guitar of your own, is to make your own Strat or Tele copy from a Saga guitar kit. Might be fun to do.

#17 ·
I'll probably try and find a used Tech21 Trademark60 because I rather not spend 500 on a new amp :lol: or a Trademark 30, but I haven't tested those. this is a pretty good sound though for a small amp
http://www.tech21nyc.com/sounds/tm30_sounds/Trademark_30.mp3

and for guitar I will probably buy a body off the bay, paint and dings is no matter and get a neck like this bay item 230228503917 and paint the body EVH style since I like the paintjob (EVH not as much :lol:) and put a humbucker in it and mess with the guitar to maybe relic it lol, I know some guy around my area did a frankenstrat so maybe I can see how he'd paint it and relic it ;) or I could screw around with other paint jobs

#19 ·
I use to like the Crate combos and lately I haven't been too impressed, but I will probably keep it around the same price with that 30 watt Tech 21, unless you have a Crate that you like and I haven't played

If I got a squier it would be like bay item 360030539378
just few squier's ive played I would consider buying, some I'd ask people to steal from me :lol: but there are good ones, its just finding the right one with em

actually If I could find one, I actually liked the Sam Ash Floyd Rose guitars, because they had OFR's not speedloaders, just they aren't produced anymore I think so it might be hard to find one, but they were only like 300 or 400 bucks when I was in the Sam Ash in NYC

#20 ·
Perhaps keeping a beater in semi-plain sight, hooked up to a beater practice amp in semi-plain sight, and keep your guitfiddle of choice up and under your bed (not sure on the beds in dorms nowadays). But elevated under the bed would be win. Perhaps a stash of clothes and **** under there so it looks like theirs nothing there, even if they did rip things away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.