<back   Jemsite > Off-topic & Polls > Off-topic / Miscellaneous

Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:09 PM

Question for British jemsiters

Do Americans have accents? Or do you have accents?
Do you think we sound funny?

To us of course, british accents are adorable, and we mock you all the time.

If I hear a girl talking with a british accent, I always imagine a really hot girl talking. Like Elizabeth Hurley or Kiera Knightley. It makes them sound so smart too. Do you have the similar thoughts? Do you think American girls are sexy? I think British girls are sexy.

Do all UK people think americans are discusting? I know with the recent situations across the world, many people dislike americans.

Are you jealous of our cars?

Do you have Mexican food over there?

Do you ever watch american television shows?

Do you have any american stereotypes?

Is there anything you'd like to say about Americans?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:19 PM

Re: Question for British jemsiters

We mock the accents all in good-intended fun, not in a malevolent way. (just wanted to clarify, to avoid offending anyone.)

I always wondered if they did the same thing about americans, I know we must sound odd to them.

And yeah, America is probably the most hated country in the world at the moment. Its scary, because I live here and I really have no control of what the Government does, and I know theres a world of people out there foaming at the mouth pissed at me (americans) simply because I'm (We're) caught in the middle of it all.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:32 PM

Yup, but lets not get this thread locked up talking about politics.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:28 PM
(a)

I love british accent but I think sometimes it's harder talking to an english man, I need to like stop for a while and reprocess what he says first than only I understand, I prefer talking to an american though, easier to understand
Old 09-13-2006, 10:33 PM
(a)

I like the British accent too and their slang words are funny too.

I think Ozzy has the worst accent though, it is hard to understand him, of course it could be that he's a recovering alcoholic.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:34 PM
(a)

Oh... Forgot to add, woman in english accent = Sexy....
Old 09-13-2006, 10:42 PM
(a)

Woman with any accent really....
Old 09-13-2006, 10:52 PM

Reviews: 120

This thread =

I have to say that some American accents sound hilarious to me, but then again Americans think that Australians sound hilarious too. although I have known a few people who travelled America and found that the girls really dug their accents!

It is unfortunate that many people around the world have a strong dislike towards Americans and America. I have to say sometimes I can feel this way, but then I remember many of the cool people I have come across over the Internet and I remember that it's (hopefully) only a minority who make you all look bad.

The right British accent + attractive female does =

I'll also answer these questions from an Australian perspective:

Are you jealous of our cars? - No, many of them are fuel guzzlers and don't handle or brake well (in my opinion). Old Mustangs and Corvettes are cool though

Do you have Mexican food over there? - Yes, I had Burittos the other night

Do you ever watch american television shows? - Yes there is an overabundance of American shows on TV here

Do you have any american stereotypes? - Yes Australia and many Australians, and I think many countries have many American stereotypes. Some consider it Cultural Imperialism, but we wont go into any of this as we try not to get in to politics, etc on JemSite.

I find it frustrating a lot when I hear Australian singers singing in an American accent as opposed to an Australian accent. Although one genre where I thought it would be prevelant they don't. Australian hip hop is marketly different from American as they seem to purposely move away from the American hip hop stereo types. Artists rapping sound very Australian, and keep far, far away from the Gansta, bitches and hoes and bling attitude of much of the American mainstream hip hop.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:10 PM

So what effect does an american accent have on the Austrailian ladies, hmm?

Jealous of our cars? LOL our cars suck! Japanese and German cars are where its at, wherever you go...
Old 09-13-2006, 11:34 PM
(a)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex View Post
LOL our cars suck! Japanese and German cars are where its at, wherever you go...
I love american cars more than japanese cars actually, there are tons of japanese cars here, I think they look sporty but I think american car looks classic
Old 09-13-2006, 11:36 PM

Jealous of your cars?

Let me say this...

Lotus, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Range Rover, TVR, Morgan, McLaren, Noble, Lister, to name a few. Yes I know some have been bought out by non British companies, but that is purely financial, the car remains British through and through.

So, erm, jealous of what exactly?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:54 PM

Well, the thing is, when we see England on TV, we usually see old golfs and minis and little cars. Over in Texas, I go to dallas and houston alot, you see all sorts of cars, italian, german, british, japanese. I see every types of cars.

I agree that american cars do suck, I'd never get one, but have you ever rode in say, a Ford Excursion, or a Hummer H2? They are very big. Thats really what I meant.

So, lets talk about something else. I don't want to turn this to a car thread.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
hip hop is marketly different from American as they seem to purposely move away from the American hip hop stereo types. Artists rapping sound very Australian, and keep far, far away from the Gansta, bitches and hoes and bling attitude of much of the American mainstream hip hop.
Thats nice. Is hip hop predominantly black people?

What do you call black people in other places?

In america, it's african americans, over there is it african europeans/ australians?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:09 AM

Wow. Hip Hop there actually sounds like it wouldnt be bad. LOL.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:51 AM

I know the "proper" british accent is very adorable wherever in the world you go. But what you have to remember is that very few people in the UK have the "posh", "proper" english accent like Keira Knightly or Liz Hurley as you quoted. Most people just have the local accent. For example, I live in Essex, and all women are given the title of "essex girls". Anybody from the UK will have heard of this, lol. They are quite well known. So the stereotypical british accent does exist, but not as you see it on tv. Everyone doesnt walk around all speaking the lovely british accent.

As for do we watch American TV shows, lol, silly question. Yes of course we do. I personally prefer US TV shows by far, 100%. If I didnt have US TV shows to watch it would make for very boring TV indeed. Greys Anatomy, ER, House, Lost, Prison Break, 24. Then sports of course, NBA, NFL. All these things I watch week-to-week on a regular basis.

And yes, I suppose we are jealous of your cars in some ways. The most popular brand of car in the UK is Ford. Nearly everyone owns a Ford, or has owned one at some point or another, or knows someone who has one. And that of course is an American company. As Ant1981 said, we have plenty of good manufacturers ourselves. But all of them are prestige/sport cars though. If we are talking day-to-day average peoples cars, then hardly any are british. They are all American (Ford), or Japanese (Toyota), German (VW).....the list goes on. We did of course have Rover/MG, but we all know what happened there.

Tags
bruce dickinson, david mccarroll, iron maiden, steve vai

Show/Hide Posting Rules