Ibanez JEM Forum banner

RIP Herc Fede

22K views 63 replies 41 participants last post by  UV77 
#1 ·
It would appear that he has passed away due to a heart attack. Really sad news because his work was incredible.

#31 ·
Wow, Andrew. What a story. He sounds like a really great person. Good advice, too.

:(

Takin' a Ride. I believe he did. He retired a few times, to varying degrees IIRC - remember when I started to sell his technique? I seem to remember that - as an earlier post said - and I could be wrong, that all the work with the paint really hurt him. Same for Al, I think. Somebody correct me, if I am off.

#34 ·
I seem to remember that - as an earlier post said - and I could be wrong, that all the work with the paint really hurt him. Same for Al, I think. Somebody correct me, if I am off.
Yeah Sebastian said that, but I don't know if that was speculation or if he'd actually heard that from Herc? I believe he was in contact with him from time to time.

I know AI had basically hung it up as well but I didn't know that was possibly why. I can see the temptation to not use proper respiration equipment when working with paint, since it seems like you're only exposed to it for a few minutes at a time.

#32 ·
Wow. I never had any contact with him but I have seen his work and it is amazing. Truly great.

Any of you who have any of his work- you have a part of his mastery for yourself. Take care of it and cherish it because it is the very last, and it's a part of life now that has become limited even more. Think of it more as a part of the artist, because you really only share it with them.

I don't know why but this bothered me, I didn't even know him but still. Anything like someone passing away no matter who it is just gets me.

#36 ·
Wow, sad news indeed, I just found out last night. I have a pink vine VSK neck on a black, pink and green swirl that Herc did. I had found a VSK body and was trying to effect a trade, when the guy told me about Herc. I'm now thinking I will not restore the VSK to original, but rather keep the VSK neck on Herc's swirl, sort of as a tribute and respect for his artistry, craftsmanship and ingenuity. God Speed Herc Fede....

#38 ·
Sadly, Herc has passed bilbo.......there is no doubt of this.

Herc's obit: http://www.hollingerfuneralhome.com/obits/obituary.php?id=481357

@Andrew- PLEASE follow Herc's advice to you. You have an incredible vision and a style that's all your own. There will soon be a day that you will share in the fame that Herc, Darren, and Al have known. Keep yourself safe at all times though...... it would be a tragedy to see you go the same route as other swirlers have healthwise.

#39 ·
I am from Taiwan and I am new to this community.

Herc is such a kind man that he tried to offer me his best swirled work a couple years ago. He is a true artist undoubtedly, and he has influenced so many others to follow his steps to swirl art. His swirl artwork has made me so happy since the first day I received my swirled JEM DNA body, and I know there are so many people around the world who are happy as well because of Herc's work. We really should post Herc's wonderful artwork somewhere to honor this great artist.

Thanks Herc for making this world colorful!! You will be so missed!!

Tony

#42 ·
This is truly sad. Unfortunately I never owned a Herc Fede swirl, but just being on this forum over the years I could see why everyone admired his work. I remember seeing the JEM DNA in person for the first time.....gorgeous. Prayers go out to his family and friends.

#44 ·
I don't know how I missed this very sad news. I too have a Herc swirl that he did for me about 6 years ago. I have all of the parts for a wonderful guitar but haven't gotten around to assembling it or having it done.

I saw some of Herc's work on the forums and reached out to him to get a guitar done. He was swamped and backlogged but he took it on anyways. After about a month he let me know that he was having health problems and that my guitar would be delayed. I wasn't in a rush so I said no problem, get to it when you can. His health got worse from there and the weeks turned into months. Herc emailed me about every 3 weeks to let me know that he still is trying to get to it, and I always let him know I was in no hurry. During these months he would tell me that he had people constantly hounding him to finish their guitars or give them refunds and his illness was not their concern. I couldn't imagine ever treating someone like this. Over the months that I dealt with Herc he was always kind to me and appreciated my patience in return. The guitar body and neck took 17 months to get finished, but in the end I had an awesome 1 of a kind swirl that I really need to build and I considered myself fortunate to have gotten work done by such a great artist and gentleman.

#45 ·
This is terrible news, it hit me really hard when I was told, I remember feeling warm all over, I was shocked when a Jemsite member told me over the phone. I though to myself, "that can't be right!". Sadly as we all know now it was right.

It's a sad loss. I have read many comments for a tribute page or thread with as many pics of Herc's varied work as possible, that to me seems fitting as I would guess lots of his work went to members of this forum, it seems fitting. I found as many pictures of Herc work as I could and put them on 2 of the sites I have access to along with news of his passing..

I would have commented earlier but I was locked out, hence the name change on this forum and others.

My thought are for Herc's family especially his children,

Herc brought brightness to the guitar world and put smiles on lots of faces, he also kept swirling alive and influenced and lot of painters out there, including myself.

RIP Herc Fede Swirl Guru.

Alan (X - Out Of This Swirled).

#46 ·
Ugghh! I just found this thread, don't know how I missed it!
My most sincere condolences to Herc's family.
I met him at a guitar show back in '97-'98, maybe and he had a Black and white glow in the dark swirl on display. Super nice guy. We talked about Jems and he told me about Jemsite at the time. Dunno if Glen has the original sign up info, but that was days after I met Herc. We stayed in touch off and on and I always wished him well when he mentioned health issues keeping him from making more art. I never dug in too deeply about it, but I guess it all makes sense.

Your kind spirit and art will be missed, R.I.P. Herc.
:(

#48 ·
I've been experiencing the same issue.

I started communicating with Herc in March 2014 when I saw him offer his swirling services on EBay. We discussed many things, including family and dedication to our craft - he was a true artist and gentleman.

I hit the EBay offer and shipped a JS body to him. He was swamped with orders, but he updated me every few weeks. And then he suddenly passed away. His wife Jessica sent an email announcing the terrible news.

After about six months had passed, I sent a very gentle and respectful email to Jessica inquiring about my JS body. This was in November 2014. I didn't ask for a refund; I just wanted the body back and offered to pay for the shipping.

I received a form reply email saying that the family was still going through a difficult time and to please be patient. I waited a couple of months, then sent another couple of gentle emails. I received the same form reply email.

Not to be insensitive and with all due respect for Herc and his family, I'm at a loss about what to do here. Any advice would be appreciated.

#51 ·
That would be hugely appreciated if it's not too much trouble for you. It's a little difficult for me to do this myself as I live in Hawaii. I'd be happy to reimburse you for any expenses incurred.

I've cut-and-pasted the email thread along with two pics that I sent Jessica of what the JS body looked like before and what it would have looked like after the swirling.

-------------------------------------------------------
This is Herc's wife. I will respond to emails as quickly as I can, but please be a little patient with me.

If Herc was working with you, I am now beginning to send his artwork home. I saw first hand what care and respect Herc put into each and every step of the process so I want to be sure that I do the same so that everything gets home safely.

Please feel free to send me any pictures, etc. that might help me expedite the process.

I truly appreciate your patience!

Sincerely,
Jessica
----------------------------------------------
Dear Jessica,

That is highly impressive that you've taken over Herc's work.

The JS body I sent Herc was mahogany with a clear coat. I don't believe he had a chance to work on it, although he said he was about to start just about a week before his passing.

Thank you and I await your response.

Kind regards,
-----------------------------------------
Hi Jessica,

I'm sorry to pester you, but just checking to see if you've had any luck finding my guitar body. It looks very similar to the picture (natural wood finish guitar body) I've attached. I don't think Herc worked on it before his passing but if he did, it would look something like the second picture (liquid metal).

The guitar body was sent from Hawaii. My full details are as follows:

[ ]

Thanks so much for your help.

Kind regards,

Attachments

#53 ·
Sorry about that. It's multicolorguru at excite.com.

This is the form reply email I've been getting over the past two months.

-----------------------------------------

Please forgive the lack in email responses these past weeks. There has been no time for me to take care of emails or shipping anything out. To say that this is all completely overwhelming physically and emotionally would be an understatement.

I am currently working on getting help from family/friends so that I will have the time and resources to get back to emailing and shipping. Hopefully this will happen soon.

Thank you for your patience while I sort all of this out.

Sincerely,
Jessica Fede

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.