Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Saw a couple of great movies recently (recommend a movie master thread)

100K views 882 replies 155 participants last post by  Captain Ron 
#1 ·
Watched the Departed the other day. WOW. I really think this had to be Jack Nicholsons best.
I was really shocked at how great DiCaprio was. He really is a great actor.
After seeing the Titanic, I kida wrote him off. Then he did Gangs of NY and I kinda liked his acting. But with The Departed, he out did himself.

Also watched The Illusionist with Ed Norton. Another top notch movie.
Really surprised me how great the movie was.
Jessica Biel is really a beautiful female.

#105 · (Edited)
This film, I think isn't very well known. So it's a cool one to recommend here.

It's a film about a man, who is asked by someone to find and examine copies of a book, which is alleged to have the power to summon the devil. That's how it starts.

Personally, I think it is a fantastic film. It's very intriguing, mysterious and compelling. I read about it on wikipedia, and apparently it's a very underrated film, which I think is surprising.

You could click on the pic for a trailer of the movie. :)

Kind regards,
Alwin

#124 ·
I liked this one a lot, too. It doesn't really get going until you're halfway into the movie, but the rest of it is just bat**** insane.

Another great movie I've watched (on Blu-Ray) is Big Fish. My wife and I are not very sentimental, but we were crying at the end of it. It had a shell shock effect on me, since my relationship with my father is far from perfect. It's a very powerful movie, but it also doesn't really get interesting until you're halfway into it.

#119 · (Edited)
Ok, so the other week they showed 'Mulholland drive' in the local art house cinema. There were about twelve people who went to go see it.

And what was really great to see, was that at certain moments in the film you could really feel people holding their breaths, waiting to see what was going to happen next. You could really hear a pin drop. It was quite amazing. It was really beatiful to see it on the big screen.

There's also this other movie called 'A history of violence'. It's really good. I went to see that one in the same theatre when it came out. When the credits started rolling, and the lights went on, everybody just sat there for a few minutes. I had to get myself together too, you know. The film was very moving. Anyway, so I can recommend that one.

Alwin

#120 ·
I had an appointment and it was delayed by a few hours, so I went and saw the 1st half of Grindhouse. There is some hilarious stuff in that film. It's so over the top and clichéd that you have to love it. I only say the 1st film, I didn't have time to finish the 2nd, so I plan to go back.
You can tell its Rodriguez and Tarantino love the B films and are using Hollywood for their own play land.

Bamm

#264 ·
I saw Death Proof. I don't know if that was the first movie or the second movie, but it was DEFINITELY worth seeing. The music was quite good, as well. And there was Kurt Russell, Tracie Thoms, and Vanessa Ferlito. And that lap dance scene....did I mention that lap dance scene?....

#122 ·
The problem I had with the first one was that the accents were so heavy I couldnt understand what they were saying half of the time.

Return of the Living Dead was pretty cool. Those fast zombies freaked me out.

I am used to the old zombies that walked slow with their arms out. LOL

#128 ·
I was very disappointed by the Prestige, a believable movie completely broken down for the lack of a better ending. I was into it until the end when I realized what was going on.
I love sci fi, but this I think was a crap attempt to grab the fire of the Illusionist, which IMO was a MUCH better film.

#129 ·
Yup, the Illusionist was awesome! The Prestige just dragged on too long.

I also would recommend seeing Hot Fuzz. Very good movie.

Don't, whatever you do, for the love of god, go see Pathfinder. It looks in the trailers like a 300-like movie, but it was absolutely horrible movie.

#130 · (Edited)
I totally called the entire plot of the illusionist less than halfway through the movie, and I wasn't even trying. It just ended up being a overly glorified Victorian love story, yey..I give it 5/10 I thought The Prestige was far far better, better story line, better effects, better acting, plus it has David Bowie as Tesla!!.8/10

I just saw Memoirs of a Geisha not to long ago, a superb must see movie that deserved the 3 Academy Awards its got. 9/10

I also saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The beginning. Horrible movie, no T&A, much less gore than what I was anticipating. It doesn't have your typical ending, but since its "the beginning" you kinda see that coming. Horrible acting though out except for R. Lee Ermey who totally stole the show and actually makes the movie somewhat worth while to watch. 3/10

#134 ·
Just thought i'd throw a few favourites out there...

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas, Ravenous, Alien/s, The silence of the lambs, Seven, Reservoir dogs, Snatch, The thing, Outlaw Josey Wales, Pulp fiction, One flew over the cuckoo's nest, Lord of the rings tilogy, Platoon, Apocalypse now, Blade runner, American beauty, Dirty Harry, Solaris and heaps of others i'm forgetting.

As for the Prestige V's The Illusionist, my vote goes to The Prestige.

This thread is great, pease keep up the recommendations folks. :)

Rock on!

#135 ·
Just saw Curse of the Golden Flower, another great film from China in the style of Hero, a little more on the drama side, but still has some killer fight scenes and a totally twisted story line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_golden_flower

Also finally saw Smokin' Aces, I'm not really big into gangster/mob movies, but this one is just plain beyond sick, great story line, great fight scenes and characters, and gotta love a movie with a m107 sniper rifle! oh, and despite her music, Alicia Keys is totally hot.

#139 ·
Yes, it was liberal, but it didn't strike me as being liberal for the sake of being liberal. If you merely see it as an anti-Iraq/Afghanistan War movie, then I think the point is missed. To me, the movie clearly illustrated that the guys over there fighting for us are the ones who, ironically, have it worst back home. It also showed how so many voice their opinions but don't really try to do anything about it (both liberals and conservatives).

What I had against the film had nothing to do with the message, but rather the way in which it was given. The film was a little too didactic at times. Bottom line though, the movie definitely places several thoughts in your head to ponder over. If you're looking for a casual, have fun movie, then I wouldn't see it.

#137 ·
A movie that really shocked me was Transformers. I thought "Great, another boring, over-the-top, Hollywood garbage film."
Much to my suprise, it was really good. Still over the top, but it had drama and comedy and action. Totally surpassed my expectations.
Plus, there's just always been something about Optimus Prime. When he talks, I listen...

#138 ·
'Arlington Road'.
LOVED it. Rent it, you won't be disapointed.

'White Noise'.
I've heard people into scary movies didn't like it. But I don't see many scary flicks. My wife and I were sufficiently freaked out on the drive home. It how a good scary movie should end.

'Meet the Robinsons'.
'Hoodwinked'

Great kids fliks.

Just get Arlinton Road and let me know what you think.

-Darin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.