Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Saw a couple of great movies recently (recommend a movie master thread)

100K views 882 replies 155 participants last post by  Captain Ron 
#1 ·
Watched the Departed the other day. WOW. I really think this had to be Jack Nicholsons best.
I was really shocked at how great DiCaprio was. He really is a great actor.
After seeing the Titanic, I kida wrote him off. Then he did Gangs of NY and I kinda liked his acting. But with The Departed, he out did himself.

Also watched The Illusionist with Ed Norton. Another top notch movie.
Really surprised me how great the movie was.
Jessica Biel is really a beautiful female.

#191 ·
American Gangster was more of an epic film so that would get my "movie of the year" but both are mandatory viewing imho. I'd be curious to see who beats out her performance for Best Actress. I can't see how she'd lose if the voting was fair and unbiased. likewise Denzel & Crowe were terrific in AG... .. glen

#194 ·
I haven't seen American gangster, yet. I've heard good things about it. :)

My personal 'movie of the year', I guess would be INLAND EMPIRE. Also, Pan's labyrinth was good. Having said that, many films that came out last year, I haven't seen yet. Like Atonement, for instance. It's very good, apparently.

The page on Wikipedia about films of 2007 is pretty interesting. It has the top 10 of highest grossing films that came out. Number one has grossed over $961 worldwide! :eek:

Alwin

#193 ·
I enjoyed Legend, but I think that most people were expecting to see Will Smith in ID4 mode - more action - more of a clear cut hero. I wish there was more involvement with the dark seekers, and I also wish they were a little less CGI and a little more human.

I did recently see Grandma's Boy for the first time. I am thoroughly amused by his interaction with the doll and his friend's mother. I think it is worth as least one watch on a Saturday afternoon when there is nothing else on.

#197 ·
Anyone see Alien vs. Predator: Requiem? I happened to see it with my two brothers on Christmas day - what a fantastic movie!! Definitely DO NOT bring your kids to see it. I mean they must have planned for the 'R' rating very early in the production process - it didn't even pretend to be nice. Holy smokes. Fans of the old school Alien and Predator movies will like it I think - I mean I am and I did. I just couldn't believe some of the things they did in that movie. I mean it was like "no, they're not gonna do that . . . " and then they went ahead and did it. No holds barred. I haven't seen a predator that angry since Predator 2 - when Danny Glover chops off the preds arm and then the pred runs through all those peoples walls in that apartment building. It was insane.

#199 ·
Anyone see Alien vs. Predator: Requiem?
I've read the plot of that movie on Wikipedia. It was pretty twisted. :eek:

Think it will have skipped through the theatres by now, but had to put a word in for Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promise (David Cronenburg, Naomi Watts).

It's a really gritty movie, focusing on the russian mafia in London with the best naked knife fight in a public baths scene since... well forever!

Rent the DVD! and while we are on the subject of family friendly, no, no this one isn't!!
I am definatly going to see that. The last few films of David Cronenberg haven't been horror films, of which he has made many, which is interesting. 'A history of violence', was great, and this one seems to have certain resemblances with that one. :)

Alwin

#198 ·
Think it will have skipped through the theatres by now, but had to put a word in for Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promise (David Cronenburg, Naomi Watts).

It's a really gritty movie, focusing on the russian mafia in London with the best naked knife fight in a public baths scene since... well forever!

Rent the DVD! and while we are on the subject of family friendly, no, no this one isn't!!

#200 ·
I was reading Roger Ebert's review of Blade runner, and in it he mentioned this film called 'Dark city'. So checked it out on Wikipedia and YouTube and it looks really interesting. Very original. It's also a sci-fi/film-noirish film, like Blade runner, and it's director (Alex Proyas) also made 'The crow'. Here is the trailer. :)

Alwin

#203 ·
I watched Dark City when it first came out and maybe I was having a bad day but i found it boring.

heres are a few cheap ones if you can still get them at the DVD place?
The Game
Arlington Road mentioned previously
V for Vendetta mentioned earlier also but just pure class iMHO.
Raising cane john lithgow film real messed up thriller thing
Shattered Tom Berenger
Slither the comedy horror i though was good
Wedding crashers was good
if your after a western i think one of the best has to be Tombstone, everyone i know whos seen it rave about it, but most people have never heard of it. I was trying to list a few more obscure movies.

#205 ·
I may have been drinking when i watched it re dark city?

"Open Season" is a cool film, It for all ages great comedy. On the same note "flushed Away" is a cool kids comedy film animation. "Wild Hogs" was good i though it was going to be really Bad but some bits are Golden, especially the cop . "Four Brother", "the Island" and "the Chronicles of riddick" are also top movies.

two great older movies for the youger people on here who havnt already see them would be "Once upon a time in the West" and "Total Recall" yes there old but i figured id put them on here. Anything by Phillip K Dick is normally great, his material is great, they just mess it up sometimes. I think recal is one of the best.
Again, as said by other if you havnt seen "Arlington Road" you are missing one of the best phycological thrillers ever made IMHO.

#206 ·
Flushed away reminds me of Chicken run, which was pretty funny. By the way, be sure to check out the Flushed away site, it's really cool. :lol:

Philip K. Dick's work has been the basis for quite a few films, yeah. Isn't A.I. also based on one of his books? I know Blade runner is, and that movie is very good. I didn't know Total recall was also based on his work... I didn't really like that one. :?

By the way, if you're into psychological thrillers, check out Rebecca, by Alfred Hitch****. It's great. :)

Alwin

#207 ·
Heh heh heh M&R said Hitch****.

Dark City needs to percolate - watch it again.

Who was talking westerns? (stoories to the Scots here) - picked up a cheapy copy of The Outlaw Josey Wales ..... Clint Eastwoods later westerns are superb, utterly unglamorous. I haven't seen his two newer war films yet but I'll pick them up as soon as they're cheap.

#209 · (Edited)
I think you're right about Dark city, there. It's one of those films you need to watch a few times, perhaps, to get the full effect, I get the idea. I read on Wikipedia, that on average there's a cut every 1.8 seconds in the film. That's probably one of the things that contributes to that. :)

Clint Eastwood is a very good director, indeed! :)

Heres a new one "cloverfield" its getting great reviews and the trailer looks cool
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/trailers-me60215748
I saw the trailer for that, before. Having said that I'm not into horror movies, it looks interesting the way they filmed it. I might check it out. :)

Alwin

#208 ·
re total recall, it was based on the book "we can remember it for you wholesale" Phillip K Dick his other films include, of the top of my head "Minority report" "Paycheck" "A Scanner Darkly" "Blade Runner" and im sure there are a lot more, i think one was called "Speeders: or something. anyway im not one for reading big books but he has some awesome collections of short stories like 50 to a book, some are on 10 pages long and lots of them have great premises way better than a lot of the crap thats mainstream nowadays, like the ones where you know the script before the film gets going, i hate predictability, and talking of sumo wrestling! see you never saw that coming.

Heres a new one "cloverfield" its getting great reviews and the trailer looks cool
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/trailers-me60215748

#215 ·
When I heard of that one, I got pretty excited. It's director also made Magnolia and Hard eight, for instance, and this new film seemed quite a departure from some of his previous work. I haven't seen it. I've heard other people say similar things as you, Kenny. Anyway, I'm still interested in seeing it. :)

Alwin

#216 · (Edited)
A while ago I saw a film called 'Grizzly man' on TV. It was on Discovery channel. It's a kind of documentary about a man, who went to live amongst bears in Alaska for 13 years. Ultimately, he and his girlfriend we killed by a bear. It's not the most uplifting film, but it's good one, so I thought I'd mention it here.

Anyway, here is Willem Dafoe speaking about the film, in an interview that was on Dutch TV a long time ago. It's worth watching, imo. There's a clip of the film, too, after which he speaks about it more.

Alwin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.