Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Saw a couple of great movies recently (recommend a movie master thread)

100K views 882 replies 155 participants last post by  Captain Ron 
#1 ·
Watched the Departed the other day. WOW. I really think this had to be Jack Nicholsons best.
I was really shocked at how great DiCaprio was. He really is a great actor.
After seeing the Titanic, I kida wrote him off. Then he did Gangs of NY and I kinda liked his acting. But with The Departed, he out did himself.

Also watched The Illusionist with Ed Norton. Another top notch movie.
Really surprised me how great the movie was.
Jessica Biel is really a beautiful female.

#6 ·
I also saw Hollywoodland, with Ben Affleck and Adrian Brody. Great Movie.
It was pretty insiteful regarding the life of the first Superman George Reeves.
The story of his murder/suicide was really interesting.

I'd say watch it, it's worth it.

#7 ·
*NO SPOILERS*

Here's a few i recently Netflix'd recently

The Guardian, 2006 (DVD)- coast guard rescue movie... sorta like a top gun without the annoying tom cruise. little rough opening but a good movie.

World Trade Center, 2006 (HD-DVD) - really well done movie... not so much a terrorist/recap movie but a touching story about some rescue efforts based on real life.

Poseidon, 2006 (HD-DVD) - pretty good popcorn movie... nothing great but will hold your attention. i saw the original in theatres as a kid during a double matinee repeat and this one is a decent remake.

Mission: Impossible III, 2006 (HD-DVD). JJ Abrams should have spent his energy on Lost and not this hollywood redux. A mishmosh of a movie really... i don't get what they were thinking.

V for Vendetta, 2006 (HD-DVD) - very well done... not sure what category of movie i'd place this in - almost a superhero type - but mostly intelligent within those confines. if portman acted this good in EP1-3 those movies would have been alot better. that annoying actress almost ruined "Heat" too.

King Kong, 2005 (HD-DVD) the 1933 version is one of my favorite movies of all time and this was a good remake. Atmospheric, took it's time - not the typical hollywood "wrap it up in 10 minutes" plot and made you feel for Kong's as he meets his demise.

Casablanca, 1942 (HD-DVD) - awesome classic had to rent the high def version and it looked amazing.

Dick and Jane - absolute garbage my sis-in law lent me... didn't watch it past the first 40 minutes.

#8 ·
Watched the Departed the other day. WOW. I really think this had to be Jack Nicholsons best.
I was really shocked at how great DiCaprio was. He really is a great actor.
After seeing the Titanic, I kida wrote him off. Then he did Gangs of NY and I kinda liked his acting. But with The Departed, he out did himself.

Also watched The Illusionist with Ed Norton. Another top notch movie.
Really surprised me how great the movie was.
Jessica Biel is really a beautiful female.
+1 to both. The Departed easily ranks in my top ten... awesome movie, well directed, with excellent acting.

#10 ·
I did not think the departed was all that, it was ok but if you are going to have a role about an Italian mobster please use an Italian!!! :roll: Robert DeNiro or Al Pacino would have been a million times better!!!

The Illusionist was pretty good!!! :D
The Prestige was even better!!! :D
Fearless was great too!!! (Jet Li's final movie!!!! he is retired now :( )
The Protector: non stop action and a new Martial arts classic!!!

#11 ·
I'm also on Netflix, do you guy want to PM our email addys for the 'friends' lists on netflix?
I second The Departed, it was a good series of switchbacks and wondering the whole time. The elevator scene was a cool twist along with a couple other plot developments.

BTW, he weasn't supposed to be Italian, they were an IRISH mob.

#12 ·
i will have to check some of them out. Borat is one that i have not seen but will be buying or getting for my bday i'm sure. i thought "Night at the Museum" was done well. i enjoyed that one. saw it a few weeks ago in the theater. not too big on the new kong movie at all. certain scenes were really drawn out. although there was a lot of scenes and minutes running by, i still feel there was not much character development. when kong died, i couldn't care less. just didn't do it for me for some reason. although the effects were good it couldn't touch the original or even the 2nd one for that matter.

#27 ·
Very cool Thread! I'm on Blockbuster Online Very convenient, since I can return them to the store and there is one just down the street.

I have been adding a lot of classics to my list:

Bourne Identity

Full Metal Jacket

Grumpy Old Men

as far as new stuff, I would have to say:

Running Scared (lots of action)

Unknown (good thriller)

The Return (All right movie. More of a thriller than a horror as some have described it)

Monster House (Kids movie. I actually prefer these sometimes)

Open Season ( Kids Movie.I'm not much of a Ashton Kutcher fan, but I have to say he did a real good job with the voice in this one.)

#31 ·
I have been adding a lot of classics to my list:

Bourne Identity
That's a classic? Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie, but not what I'd call a classic (same with Grumpy Old Men).

I don't watch many films these days, and if I do they are rarely new and rarely Hollywood productions. That said, I saw Little Miss Sunshine and enjoyed it. Just a slightly indie-tinged feel good road movie. I also saw Children of Men recently and found that disappointing, although it was well made visually.

#33 · (Edited)
Cool! A movie thread! :D Yay!

Here's a movie I recommend: Howl's moving castle. This movie is directed by Hayao Miyazaki, who is a genius. The movie is a masterpiece. It's captivating, poetic, visually stunning, romantic, imaginative... It's amazing. By the way, I really love the theme song of this movie! :eek:

Other recommendations:

Princess mononoke: As Roger Ebert put: "The Star wars of animated features".

La tourneuse de pages: This is a French movie, which I think was only released a while back, I think only in the art house cinemas, and it's soon to be released on DVD. I think the title means 'The page turner'. This movie totally blew me away. I thought it was brilliant, and as soon as it comes out on DVD I'm going to buy it ASAP. The acting in this film is absolutely amazing.

Dead man: I went to see this movie with a friend of mine a few weeks back. Again at the local art house cinema. It's a western, starring Johnny Depp. When the art house where we saw it played it, there was a lecture following the film by the Dutch film academy, about genres in film. They said that 'Dead man' is an allegory about violence in America, aswell as the film pleads against a lifeless world. It has a fantastic soundtrack by Neil Young, which is mostly a single, distorted guitar playing the same chords in different ways throughout most part of the film.

I'll post more recommendations soon. :)

Kind regards,
Myst

#46 ·
Here's a movie I recommend: Howl's moving castle. This movie is directed by Hayao Miyazaki, who is a genius. The movie is a masterpiece. It's captivating, poetic, visually stunning, romantic, imaginative... It's amazing. By the way, I really love the theme song of this movie! :eek:

Other recommendations:

Princess mononoke: As Roger Ebert put: "The Star wars of animated features".
Spirited Away all the way!! Amazing ideas. I need to watch Mononoke again, without the horrific American dubbing, yuk. There's a new Miyazaki coming out soon, I'll be back in Japan for the release, how lovely. I adored a Japanese movie that came out a few years back called "Twilight Samurai" - a beautiful, gentle movie about a deadly Samurai who refuses to fight any more, as he sees that old world dying...he would rather be a father to his motherless children and yet the call of honour is seen by his peers as paramount in an increasingly meaningless context. This isn't flashy moves and huge budgets, just stark, poetic joy.

Hollywood's gems are so few and far between these days. I would like to see Requiem for a Dream...being in Japan, it's a little tricky to source this stuff. Pi was a classic, a top recommendation for sure. I've also been dying to watch Dumb and Dumber, superb hilarious nonsense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.