Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Saw a couple of great movies recently (recommend a movie master thread)

100K views 882 replies 155 participants last post by  Captain Ron 
#1 ·
Watched the Departed the other day. WOW. I really think this had to be Jack Nicholsons best.
I was really shocked at how great DiCaprio was. He really is a great actor.
After seeing the Titanic, I kida wrote him off. Then he did Gangs of NY and I kinda liked his acting. But with The Departed, he out did himself.

Also watched The Illusionist with Ed Norton. Another top notch movie.
Really surprised me how great the movie was.
Jessica Biel is really a beautiful female.

#218 ·
Just came back from the cinema, saw Cloverfield. What an awesome film! It was even better because so many people came out of the cinema complaining about it! :lol: I don't think any of them had any idea what they were going in to.

It's a fantastic documentary of people stuck in a ficticious disaster situation, all filmed as though it's just through a handy cam.

If you are open-minded enough, and don't expect Cloverfield to be some big Hollywood style drama, and enjoy monsters trashing stuff :)lol:) go see it.

#262 ·
I saw Cloverfield around 2 weeks ago, and even now when I'm driving across San Francisco Bay late at night I get creeped out. When I look over at the city I imagine something destroying it.

When I fly into a city at night, I feel like something is going to jump up from the buildings.

People said this was Blair Witch meets Godzilla, but I found it far more effective than Blair Witch. It captured the horror quality of the original 1954 Japanese language Godzilla (It was heavily edited when dubbed into English).

#230 ·
I know I am gonna sound like a retard, but I rented and watched "THE BIG LEBOWSKI".

I have heard people talk about it for years. Holy Crap it was funny. John Goodman was hilarious, and which ever Bridges played in it, played a great hippie.

I also watched The Mist. Blah, Blah. If you have nothing else to watch, rent it.

#237 ·
Smokey and the Bandit was good, now that brings back memories. Canonball run 1 and 2 were good as well. Most movies from back then were good. Just rented "the contract" and that was pretty good. not too over the top, just kinda there...but good to pass the time.

saw ironman this weekend. i recommend it. not sure if this was for rentals only or not. blew the doors off spiderman....i hated what they did to that film and the casting was way off, my opinion. downey jr. was excellent.

#238 ·
I saw "The Forbidden Kingdom" this weekend. Awesome flick, especially if you're into Kung Fu movies. How long have we been waiting to see Jet Li and Jackie Chan on screen together? Fighting?!? Incredible!

"Iron Man" was pretty bad a$$ too. Being a long-time fan of the comic, though, the only thing I wished they would have done is let Roadie be Iron Man at the end. That would have made it a perfect comic book adaption. ;)

#240 ·
I've been watching a lot of animation, lately. I saw a bunch... 'Final fantasy: the spirits within' was well made with all the CGI, but as a film it was kinda average, imo. Not that it was bad, though. I also saw an animated film called 'Origine'. I thought the animation was beautiful in that one, but again: as a whole it was about three stars out of five, imo.

Alwin

#241 ·
Some of my faves:

1. Mulholland Drive
2. Lost Highway
3. American History X
4. Pan's Labyrinth
5. 1408
6. Donnie Darko
7. The Lives of Others
8. The Prestige
9. The Life of David Gale
10. 25th hour
11. Everything is Illuminated
12. Saw I/II/III
13. City of God
14. The Squid and the Whale
15. Clerks II

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.